Does this thing rock back and forth on flat surfaces?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildonrio, Sep 9, 2014.

1. wildonrio macrumors 6502

That camera sticks out, making me think it won't sit flush on a table and will rock. This is fairly disturbing to me. Has anyone seen any of the hands-on people mentioning if it rocks (literally)?

2. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

riverfreak

Great question and I'm surprised there have been no answers. I've wondered the same thing. Guess not many of the people who were hands on had enough time to set the demos down :)

3. Kaenon macrumors regular

4. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

And add to the overall size? No thanks.

Never used a case on any iPhone I've ever owned. All remained in fantastic shape.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I bet it does, I'm not sure if I like the cases that apple made or not, though I do enjoy the 5s leather case.

6. lysola macrumors member

Just think of all the Tech Deck tricks you can do with it now. But seriously, I doubt they designed it this way and got it through testing if it was a legitimate issue. I can understand why people might be concerned but I have a feeling it'll be fine.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

iPod Touch has protruding camera, right? If so, someone can chime in with an answer.

8. Kaenon macrumors regular

To each their own.

You know as they keep making these phones thinner, the case really doesn't add too much bulk. Protect your investment from accidental damages, drunken nights, nieces, nephews, children, etc. It will also keep a higher resale value because it will look brand new a year later.

It only takes one drop.

But best of luck!

9. ATC macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering this too. Also, wonder if the iOS level will function correctly with this? I can't imagine Apple letting this interfere with a built-in iOS function but who knows.

Someone here might know this but AFAIK the demo units at the Apple store usually have security (theft prevention) apparatus on them that might prevent testing how they sit on a flat surface (?).

10. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Anyone have an iPod touch we can test it on? It has a protruding camera too:

[​IMG]

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

It's really not that bad.

12. FazZa-3 macrumors regular

^Agreed. I feel like i should use a case to protect it but they all just ruin the beauty of the phone for me.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Jeesh. Most Android cameras protrude and I don't see a myriad of threads on their forums complaining about rocking. :)

14. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Not a good example. The iPod Touch has the strap pin on the lower left which balances the phone and keeps it from rocking.

15. aleni macrumors 68020

i got nexus 5 with protruding camera, and it doesnt rock back and forth on flat surface. so i think the iphone 6 is ok.

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The camera's too close to the edge for the phone to rock back and forth. The bigger issue is it won't rest perpendicular to a surface unless you have a case.

17. cababah macrumors 68000

18. sr1329 macrumors member

Of course not. Has nobody seen a tripod? Also the glass (sapphire) itself has a metal ring around it that protects it. I don't see any additional to get a case for this phone than for any other past iPhone.

19. badman89 macrumors regular

Very interesting question. Especially for people (like me) who don't use cases. I would hate if the phone was not stable on a flat surface, because I don't like keeping the phone in my pocket and I prefer to set it down.

20. cababah macrumors 68000

"Stable" and "level" are not the same thing. Of course it will be stable resting on its back.

21. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

The strap is an option, though..

22. maliu macrumors 6502a

I can't remember the last time I typed on my phone without picking it up.

23. sr1329 macrumors member

It comes with it. Doesn't make any difference in balancing it on a table though.

24. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

It WILL rock.
    If you don't think it will rock, take something flat and rigid like a piece of wood or glass or a hardback book or an old iPhone and place something under one corner of this object.
    Watch it rock.
    I just did it. I used a flat remote control with a .71mm guitar pick under one corner of it.
    It rocks.

Is that horrible?
    It is if you hate the idea of this beautiful phone rocking on a table.

Personally, I'd get a case which would protect the phone and prevent it from rocking.

25. wildonrio thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems likely that it will rock, but I need to see a video before I'll fully believe it.