Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
That camera sticks out, making me think it won't sit flush on a table and will rock. This is fairly disturbing to me. Has anyone seen any of the hands-on people mentioning if it rocks (literally)?

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
That camera sticks out, making me think it won't sit flush on a table and will rock. This is fairly disturbing to me. Has anyone seen any of the hands-on people mentioning if it rocks (literally)?

Great question and I'm surprised there have been no answers. I've wondered the same thing. Guess not many of the people who were hands on had enough time to set the demos down :)

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I bet it does, I'm not sure if I like the cases that apple made or not, though I do enjoy the 5s leather case.

lysola

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2014
Just think of all the Tech Deck tricks you can do with it now. But seriously, I doubt they designed it this way and got it through testing if it was a legitimate issue. I can understand why people might be concerned but I have a feeling it'll be fine.

Kaenon

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
And add to the overall size? No thanks.

Never used a case on any iPhone I've ever owned. All remained in fantastic shape.

To each their own.

You know as they keep making these phones thinner, the case really doesn't add too much bulk. Protect your investment from accidental damages, drunken nights, nieces, nephews, children, etc. It will also keep a higher resale value because it will look brand new a year later.

It only takes one drop.

But best of luck!

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I'm wondering this too. Also, wonder if the iOS level will function correctly with this? I can't imagine Apple letting this interfere with a built-in iOS function but who knows.

Someone here might know this but AFAIK the demo units at the Apple store usually have security (theft prevention) apparatus on them that might prevent testing how they sit on a flat surface (?).

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyone have an iPod touch we can test it on? It has a protruding camera too:

DSC_0177.jpg

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Jeesh. Most Android cameras protrude and I don't see a myriad of threads on their forums complaining about rocking. :)

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i got nexus 5 with protruding camera, and it doesnt rock back and forth on flat surface. so i think the iphone 6 is ok.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
The camera's too close to the edge for the phone to rock back and forth. The bigger issue is it won't rest perpendicular to a surface unless you have a case.

sr1329

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Of course not. Has nobody seen a tripod? Also the glass (sapphire) itself has a metal ring around it that protects it. I don't see any additional to get a case for this phone than for any other past iPhone.

badman89

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Very interesting question. Especially for people (like me) who don't use cases. I would hate if the phone was not stable on a flat surface, because I don't like keeping the phone in my pocket and I prefer to set it down.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Very interesting question. Especially for people (like me) who don't use cases. I would hate if the phone was not stable on a flat surface, because I don't like keeping the phone in my pocket and I prefer to set it down.

"Stable" and "level" are not the same thing. Of course it will be stable resting on its back.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I can't remember the last time I typed on my phone without picking it up.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA

It WILL rock.
If you don't think it will rock, take something flat and rigid like a piece of wood or glass or a hardback book or an old iPhone and place something under one corner of this object.
Watch it rock.
I just did it. I used a flat remote control with a .71mm guitar pick under one corner of it.
It rocks.

Is that horrible?
It is if you hate the idea of this beautiful phone rocking on a table.

Personally, I'd get a case which would protect the phone and prevent it from rocking.

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
It WILL rock.
If you don't think it will rock, take something flat and rigid like a piece of wood or glass or a hardback book or an old iPhone and place something under one corner of this object.
Watch it rock.
I just did it. I used a flat remote control with a .71mm guitar pick under one corner of it.
It rocks.

Is that horrible?
It is if you hate the idea of this beautiful phone rocking on a table.

Personally, I'd get a case which would protect the phone and prevent it from rocking.

It seems likely that it will rock, but I need to see a video before I'll fully believe it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.