Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexConquest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Australia
I am looking for an iMac application, which is a timer of all sorts, in that I need something that can open and close applications at particular times.

For instance, if I wanted Transmission to open at 12:00 pm while I sleep, then close at 7:00 am the next morning, is their applications that can do that?

Thanks in advance.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Thank you for your quick response, but how can I do this?

I'm not on a Mac right now but you can set an AppleScript to be the action for an iCal alarm. It's pretty simple to use AppleScript to open or close an application:

Code:
tell application "Transmission "
activate
end tell

Code:
tell application "Transmission "
quit
end tell

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Thank you for your quick response, but how can I do this?

Even easier: when you set a alarm for an event, you can select to "Open file...". From there, you can select either a file (which would open the associated app), or an application itself. I just verified this by selecting "Open file: Chess" for a 3:28AM alarm. It was ready to go on the minute (I wasn't - 3am and all).

Give that a try. AppleScript would work, but it's overkill for this task.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Even easier: when you set a alarm for an event, you can select to "Open file...". From there, you can select either a file (which would open the associated app), or an application itself. I just verified this by selecting "Open file: Chess" for a 3:28AM alarm. It was ready to go on the minute (I wasn't - 3am and all).

Give that a try. AppleScript would work, but it's overkill for this task.

That's cool. As I said I'm not on a mac right now so can't actually try stuff. The OP would still need the AppleScript to perform the second part: closing the app at a specific time...

AlexConquest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Australia
Thank you so much! Much Appreciated!
EDIT: However, how do I use Apple Scripts with iCal? I have never used Apple Scripts before?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Sorry I have no idea how to use/make Apple Scripts :(

Or use Google it appears.

Anyway here's a very brief outline:

1) Open the Script Editor (/Applications/AppleScript/)
2) Copy and paste the code I provided
3) Save it as an application
4) Set the alarm to open that application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.