Does time machine support network attached drives?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nippyjun, Apr 11, 2009.

1. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I have a linksys wrt610n wireless router that isn't set up yet. You can attach USB drives to the router to use as a nas.

I can't find if time machine will use it or let me use a drive attached to the router for my backups.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I don't believe so. It needs to be AFP, which limits it to TC, AEBS or Leopard server/client shares.

3. Stratoukos macrumors member

It depends on the protocol used by the linksys. I couldn't find any information in the product's page, but a review here says it uses smb (server message block), a protocol that OSX can use to connect to the NAS. So when you connect the hard drive, chances are that it will appear on the finder sidebar. Otherwise you can press cmd+K and then write smb://[NAS IP or hostname]/. I have exactly the same thing working with a myBook World.

EDIT: Whoops! I just noticed that you asked if you can use it with time machine. I'm not quite sure but I think you can't use time machine with network drives.

4. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

ok thanks.

I did just find some sites that show some"hacks" to get time machine to work with a nas. I was hoping for some native support.