Does Vista hurt my macbook pro's battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charlzc123, Sep 27, 2009.

1. charlzc123 macrumors newbie

I wanted to install vista on to my macbook pro ,but I don't know if vista is going to hurt my.battery by overcharge it or it's going to be fine?

2. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

The battery is independent of any operating system. Just like your OS can't affect whether or not your computer will turn on, it can't affect how your battery will charge.

Vista will hurt your computer in other ways, however...

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I think the hardware electronics takes care of that regardless what OS or even no OS installed.

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Vista has the same effect on your battery life that herpes does on your sex life.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

+1

------------------------------------
    If you can wait, I'd wait for Windows 7. Your battery life will be slightly longer, and it'll run faster.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nah it won't, the battery is controlled by something deeper than the operating system.

7. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

My friend had a Mac Pro that ran fine for years... his wife got him to install Windows Vista on it and the logic board died shortly after. True story. I bought some of the parts from him after it died.

8. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Unlike the host of other macs that just have logic board failure without needing help from Windows Vista?

9. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

+1. Must have been a coincidence. An OS (at least not Vista) can't cause hardware failure.

10. RKpro macrumors 6502

Well..

If you have an 9600m GT in your MBP, then it will be always used under Vista. So, shorter battery life, and therefore more charge cycles, and it will reduce your battery capacity faster.

11. prodigee macrumors 6502a

In terms of the amount of time you can be on battery yes you will see a difference, Windows just isn't as efficient as OS X (at least on MacBooks do I detect foul play maybe). But in terms of overcharge, you have nothing to worry about that system is completely independent of the operating system gods.;)

12. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Such as...

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

What about charge rate? I notice that I can recharge my battery within 2 hours from 0-100% in Vista while it takes close to 3-4 hours in OSX.

14. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Vista has different ways of managing the way the battery charges vs. OS X, I can't remember where I read it but there are quite a few articles out there that say the very same thing, the only thing really that chip on the battery does is, control the overcharge and other small things that we would never think of (unless we were battery engineers).

Vista I know does a much faster charge than OS X as it does a fill up fast then drop the charge rate right off near 90-95% to a much slower pace, where as OS X just does an even charge right the way through. Although I have completely drained my battery a few times (for calibration) and I have never had a charge take longer than 2.5 hours, and this is in OS X.

However I am not an expert in this field, but I do know what I am saying is supported and somewhere out there on the internet there is someone who is saying what I am saying. It is quite interesting, I would do a google to see what you can find.

15. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I will say that Vista 32 Ultimate does SAY that it charges my battery faster...it's most likely in error in reporting, but I could easily see how people would suspect that Vista is up to no good...

why didn't a get a "Are you really sure you wanna charge your battery" Dialogue box from Windows when I plug in?

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Vista will hurt your MacBook in so many different ways...

Vista is modern day water boarding for computers.

17. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

It'd be safer to leave your macbook outside in the rain...

18. jacekwo macrumors newbie

Vista can...

In my opinion, Vista can hurt the battery. Vista will not have the same power management options that OS X has and therefore will probably drain more life more of the time. This in turn can lead to having more cycles sucked out of your battery...

19. MrPeanut macrumors regular

I'm going to give you advice that isn't just a dig at Microsoft or Windows. I installed Windows 7 primarily to use 3ds max 2010 on my macbook pro, i find Windows 7 drains the battery life a lot more and to be honest i prefer Mac OS X anyway. I have been using Windows OS's for the last 10 years (probably longer) and i've always loved it, my advice is, install windows if you need it for software compatibility reasons. If not, don't bother. :apple:

20. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

maybe it's draining your battery life because you are using 3D Max no?

21. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

The Apple Windows drivers keep the discrete gfx card, 9600M, on all the time...

22. tooz macrumors 6502

vista just doesn't harm batteries, it harms your SOUL

23. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

You could download the latest drivers from NVidia's website. Unlike ATI I find NVidia drivers on the whole reliable under windows.

24. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

What, is it bad form to take a dig at Vista on these forums? Or any forums on the Internet for that matter? :p

:apple:

25. Pro31 macrumors regular

lmao.