Does wearing an Apple Watch cause you intimidation?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Barcafan89, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Barcafan89 macrumors member

Barcafan89

i often hide mine when I'm out and about if it's dark in case I get mugged or something thoughts ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I'm not afraid, of course if I'm out and about, I usually wear a coat - December in Boston tends to be cold

Anyways, I generally don't walk in fear, so its not an issue - of course I also have a black belt in karate :D

3. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I don't ever hide mine on the days I wear it (which are not many days anymore), but I do get the stare down, dirty looks, or eye roll usually :D

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I do not walk in fear of someone stealing it but then I legally carry a concealed weapon. That might not be an option where the OP is located but I am glad it is an option here!

Merry Christmas everyone!

5. michaelb5000 macrumors newbie

Have you updated to watch0s 2? I thought with a passcode the watch would be essentially worthless once removed from the wrist, and with find my phone you can report it as stolen. so at least for smart thieves, the watch wouldn't be worth much if anything. Activation lock had a big impact on reducing iPhone theft.

6. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

If it's dark, they probably can't see it anyway.

I felt more self-conscious about my gold-plated Rado, although few people recognize the brand, so they assume it's a cheap fashion watch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449770394.559707.jpg

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

8. tomi03 macrumors regular

tomi03

Nope never, I wear my watch everywhere (school, outside, home)

9. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I never think twice about it but I really should when walking home from the bars late at night downtown. My walk is only 3 blocks though and it's well lit/very busy with people at that hour so I don't get too bent up about it.

It's funny because I used to wear much more expensive watches and never think twice about being out with it but since the Apple Watch is so iconic and the this should know the value is at least $350... I am definitely more concerned.

10. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

No, not sure why you'd fear that. A thief can't do much with it. I'd be more worried about my iPhone being stolen.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Thieves are not known for intelligence and likely will know nothing about the activation lock. When you are looking for that next hit of crack your not concerned about the details.

12. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

OP releases the ADHD fists of fury.

13. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

Never.
    The thought of it never crossed my mind. In terms of watches if someone was going to goto the effort of mugging someone i'd expect they be looking (or targeting) more towards the expensive classic watches than a cheaper smart watch. That doesn't help with the loon who will mug the next passerby, but thats just wrong place, wrong time.

14. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

-- Roy Batty, Blade Runner

15. RvE-NL macrumors newbie

RvE-NL

16. chuyn macrumors 6502

I don't get this... Do you feel this way specifically with the apple watch? Or just any watch in general? I've never felt a mugger would target someone just because they see a watch. Seems more like, they're just going to mug someone, period. Lurking in an alley or the wrong place and waiting to just mug anybody easy for them.

17. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I don't have the Apple Watch yet, but I won't conceal it OR flaunt it. I'll just wear it like I wear MUCH pricier watches.

18. SK360 macrumors 6502

19. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

I actually look out for someone dodgy enough in the hope that they try it and I get to mash them up in the process.

20. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

Have you never been into an apple retail store? :)

21. Nell macrumors regular

I find the notion that wearing an Apple watch makes me more of a target for muggers highly improbable but then I don't tend to worry about such stuff anyway. I live in London; I could get mugged (though the chances of it being for my watch seem remote). But I've lived in London pretty much my whole life and I haven't been mugged yet so the risk seems small.

22. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

This is sad. But I choose to think that it is hilarious! :D

23. RByers8252 macrumors regular

Its a $4-600 device that doesn't light up til you lift your arm. Chances are no one really notices it. I don't walk in fear but someone would probably me a lot more interested in that $900 iPhone you pull out and look at.

24. RvE-NL macrumors newbie

RvE-NL

i wonder if you can find this discussion also in the Seiko forums. Those mid and top lines do approx the same pricing as an AW. Have no security whatsoever..
    Can be used by anybody, even people without a smart phone at all. Is easy to resell etc. I feel sometimes we overestimate the value of the AW..

25. birnando macrumors regular

birnando

Meh, I've never really felt the need to hide my watch when out and about.
    I'd think what would get someone to try to mug me would be a few other items besides that rather cheap watch.

I guess I could see some feeling a bit antsy about flaunting it though.
    Women, smaller/younger chaps perhaps, wandering in dodgy parts of the world...
    I mean, I still remember all the stories from back when the Ipod was launched.
    Those white earbuds made people regular targets in the more shady parts of the world...