Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you see warmth/yellow band on bottom of screen or right side in Smart Keyboard mode

• Yes

Votes: 80 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 152 53.0%
  • Yes but its faint so.. whatever

Votes: 55 19.2%

• Total voters

fire-s

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
Can you share the picture of the perfect screen?

it's a quick photo made with the iPhone

IMG_0330.jpg

ManyThreads

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
One thing I noticed is the yellowing is greatly affected by brightness. Above 50% or so I can't see it, but at lower brightness it's more noticeable. Make sure when you look for it, you test it out at a really low brightness too.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
This is my 256gb rose gold wifi cellular. I can slightly see the yellow band at the bottom but every other iPad I have purchased has dust behind the screen or dead pixels or more yellowing! Over it now so keeping this original one I received on launch. Home button on left.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Hopefully you guys who went through hell and back to get a good screen (understandably so , Imo having 'been there' before) are holding onto your devices longer than a year :p

to at least throw in the towel on playing the frustrating screen lottery game all over again In 12-18 months depending on next refresh timeline

I've now seen quite a few displays in this thread, that I Would throw a ring on .

a lot of ugly ones though ,statistically and from postings, too. not surprised by any of this.

Seafood Licorice

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2017
Hopefully you guys who went through hell and back to get a good screen (understandably so , Imo having 'been there' before) are holding onto your devices longer than a year :p

to at least throw in the towel on playing the frustrating screen lottery game all over again In 12-18 months depending on next refresh timeline

I've now seen quite a few displays in this thread, that I Would throw a ring on .

a lot of ugly ones though ,statistically and from postings, too. not surprised by any of this.

I'll keep this one for 3 years at least. I'd still be using my original Ipad Air 2 if I hadn't dropped it :(

Reactions: thadoggfather

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I give credit to those who have had the will power to make multiple exchanges to find the right iPad with a display that meets their expectations. And I know this is a tech forum that seems like a much bigger issue than what it is, compared to the millions of people who purchase iPad that will never notice some of these flaws with these displays. I can Understand when someone almost spends $700 on an iPad, someone has expectations and they want results with their purchase.

I too, am one of those who will coincidentally fine issues wrong with the display without necessarily searching for it, just because my eyes are more tune to notice these types of issues, because I have a lot experience with various LED displays. I'm looking forward to purchasing both iPad models, but I will likely be towards August/September.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
I had the exact same problem with the yellowing at the bottom edge in portrait mode. I returned mine and now I'm doubting if I need to purchase one. I'm tired of going through all the hassle of returning it, checking a new screen....

This inferior product quality makes me wonder if I really need an iPad pro as I'm again only relying on my 7+/rmbp

fire-s

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
I had the exact same problem with the yellowing at the bottom edge in portrait mode. I returned mine and now I'm doubting if I need to purchase one. I'm tired of going through all the hassle of returning it, checking a new screen....

This inferior product quality makes me wonder if I really need an iPad pro as I'm again only relying on my 7+/rmbp

The funniest thing here is, i also bought the new iPad 2017 a few weeks ago for my wife and this screen is flawless...

Reactions: mr.bee

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Received my 10.5 yesterday and (thankfully) my display looks fine.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
It's difficult to capture screen issues with a smartphone or similar camera. They are much more noticeable in person IMO.

Absolutely agree. I have no trouble seeing yellow or unevenness on screens, but find it hard to evaluate photos of screens because of artifacts from the camera. I'm always sorry to see responses saying someone's screen is awful based on a photo when in person it may be fine and regardless can result in an unnecessary return or exchange.

Norbert Mikołajczyk

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2016
Absolutely agree. I have no trouble seeing yellow or unevenness on screens, but find it hard to evaluate photos of screens because of artifacts from the camera. I'm always sorry to see responses saying someone's screen is awful based on a photo when in person it may be fine and regardless can result in an unnecessary return or exchange.

Yep, mine looks much better in person than in my iPhone camera...
Even further the pics shows the uneven screen in places where it looks fine...

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I might have a little yellow banding, but I'm happy with the display. True tone on:

IMG_9074.JPG
IMG_9080.JPG

Yep, mine looks much better in person than in my iPhone camera...
Even further the pics shows the uneven screen in places where it looks fine...

Yeah, mine looks great in person as well. I really had to do a lot of tilting with the iPhone to get a halfway decent photograph of the screen.

Last edited:

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I've been using my iPad as my main device for quite a while now, and i can say the one (512 ceullular 10.5) has the worst yellow band.
To be honest, every iPad has some sort of uneven color which is normal, but the one i have is at a level its affect me too much. Too bad I'm traveling abroad, I'll get mine replaced at Genius Bar once i get back to US (by which point it's passed 2-week point, so i can only do Genius Bar replacement)
However, i wont replace like 3, 4, or even 5 iPads to get a 'perfect' one. Like i said, I've used more than 15 iPads, none of them is 'perfect'. Plus, I don't take care of my devices, so it will get damaged at some point, probably within a year, I'll get another iPad then (have AC+), so no point to replace 5 for a perfect one.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Had to take mine back due to backlight bleed yellow-er screen and sucky brightness... my mini 4 got much brighter at just 75% than my new iPP which was at 100%... Before taking it to Best Buy I called Apple to see if any repair or anything could be done from them and was told no and he said best suggestion is return it to Best Buy and see if they'll take care of it. (I even told him I was outside return date.)

I've bought many products from different retailers and they have always said "bring it in." (Guess that's a new-ish policy or something?) *le sigh.
:/

Kallum.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Had to take mine back due to backlight bleed yellow-er screen and sucky brightness... my mini 4 got much brighter at just 75% than my new iPP which was at 100%... Before taking it to Best Buy I called Apple to see if any repair or anything could be done from them and was told no and he said best suggestion is return it to Best Buy and see if they'll take care of it. (I even told him I was outside return date.)

I've bought many products from different retailers and they have always said "bring it in." (Guess that's a new-ish policy or something?) *le sigh.
:/

Kallum.

Because Apple would have only replaced the iPad versus repaired the display. Because you just purchased it, it saves Apple time and money to replace it versus repair it under warranty, which they may or may not have to ship it out, then have it shipped back to you, which just prolongs the process. It's Just not as an efficient as a process, especially being this device is brand-new and there's a limited number of replacement units available likely.

By Apple suggesting you return it to Best Buy, they are just assuming that Best Buy will honor the defect and exchange it for a new one for you. Which in the long run, makes it easier for the buyer.

That said, did Best Buy accept the return if you were out of the return period? Now I know you mentioned in other threads you work for Best Buy, so I don't know if they made an exception for you or not in this situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.