Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you see warmth/yellow band on bottom of screen or right side in Smart Keyboard mode

• Yes

Votes: 80 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 152 53.0%
  • Yes but its faint so.. whatever

Votes: 55 19.2%

• Total voters

bgrace

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2008
The first 10.5 I got had a slight yellow/warm area at the bottom of the display. Returned it and got a new one which is much worse. Entire left side of the display is warm. That one is going back too. Both have DMPT serial numbers. Not sure if it will make a difference, but going to wait a few months in the hope that these quality issues will be improved.

ManyThreads

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
Do you guys think Apple Care would replace a slightly yellowing display, or would they fight that one? Mine is getting more and more noticeable.

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Bummer about the 10.5. My new 12.9 (and first iPad since being burned by the 30-pin, under-powered-and-quickly-replaced iPad 3) seems to have zero screen issues at all. No tinting issues, and no dead/stuck pixels or dust as far as I've been able to see.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Do you guys think Apple Care would replace a slightly yellowing display, or would they fight that one? Mine is getting more and more noticeable.

I would make a Genius appointment and show them what you're indicating. Being you just purchased it with in the last few weeks, they likely would replace it.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Assuming you bought it from Apple, you are still within the return window timeframe.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Guys if you see a yellow glow on a black screen (near the edge of the screen) that's normal. It's called back light bleed. Very very very normal on LCD panels.

Last edited:

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
What'd you think of my screen? I think I have the yellow bar at the home button side, and the brightness changes largely off axis. Serial # DMPT

1st image with TT on

IMG_2126.JPG

2nd image with TT off

IMG_2127.JPG

Funnily on the pics it looks like with TT off, the screen is actually more yellow, I can assure you it's not.

afjkw3r

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2017
I'm wondering, are all the ipad pro screens that warm?
In my picture you see on the left an ipad pro 10.5 with true tone off and on the right an ipad air 2, both with the same brightness.
IMG_6527.JPG

I like the air 2 screen color much better, I think I'm going to return the pro :/

ManyThreads

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
Assuming you bought it from Apple, you are still within the return window timeframe.

I got it from Best Buy but I was under the impression Apple would still look after me with the 1 year warranty - no? Or if I got apple care?

andsam

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2013
I'm wondering, are all the ipad pro screens that warm?
In my picture you see on the left an ipad pro 10.5 with true tone off and on the right an ipad air 2, both with the same brightness. View attachment 705550
I like the air 2 screen color much better, I think I'm going to return the pro :/

left side of 10.5" screen pink tint, right side ok.
Very low quality display.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I got it from Best Buy but I was under the impression Apple would still look after me with the 1 year warranty - no? Or if I got apple care?

You are still covered with a one year warranty from Apple regardless of where you purchased it from. The Only thing that would apply to the retailer you purchased it from, is their return policy window.

Reactions: ManyThreads

Felix4334

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2017
Rostock, Germany
My experience with the new iPad 10.5:
Bought six iPads (because I knew about the problem with uneven screen tint and the yellow band before), all serials start with DMPT and on every iPad, the yellow band is visible. There is a very huge production spread on the display tint.
The first iPad has a very nice white screen which is nearly perfect (except the yellow band on the home button) but also has very bad black screen conditions (extreme ips glow, very pink,..),
second one has a completely yellow tint with no ips glow / bleeding.
The 3rd iPad is fifty fity white/yellow - of course - also with the yellow band..
etc.

So sad because apart from this it's a very nice iPad. Everything runs smooth as never before. I hope that the production will get improved by time. For now I will send all back and try my luck again in a few months. I don't want to accept these problems for such a high price. Very low production quality.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I returned my first iPad and ended up exchange a larger size. The first iPad did have the tint problem and the replacement is way better. Both iPads start with DMP.

Reactions: M5RahuL

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
My experience with the new iPad 10.5:
Bought six iPads (because I knew about the problem with uneven screen tint and the yellow band before), all serials start with DMPT and on every iPad, the yellow band is visible. There is a very huge production spread on the display tint.
The first iPad has a very nice white screen which is nearly perfect (except the yellow band on the home button) but also has very bad black screen conditions (extreme ips glow, very pink,..),
second one has a completely yellow tint with no ips glow / bleeding.
The 3rd iPad is fifty fity white/yellow - of course - also with the yellow band..
etc.

So sad because apart from this it's a very nice iPad. Everything runs smooth as never before. I hope that the production will get improved by time. For now I will send all back and try my luck again in a few months. I don't want to accept these problems for such a high price. Very low production quality.

Wow, six eh! I’m about to throw in the towel after two!!

Reactions: Felix4334

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Has anyone considered burn in? My screen is extremely white and even toned. The 10.5 looked more yellow than my 9.7IPP to begin with but I doubt it now. How much time have you guys put on them?

Apple's screens change every year. Color balance, temperature etc. From the detailed evaluations with every new release, they are becoming more color accurate, I'm assuming this year is no different. The days of the bright blue cast are thankfully numbered. If you prefer it, you're stuck in the past. (Coincidentally blue light is bad for your eyes) I've been calibrating my computer screens for awhile now and the first rule is to let your eyes adjust. At first things look funny or too warm, but after you adapt to something more accurate you can't go back. My 2 cents.

Reactions: allonym

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
What do you guys think of this one? I'm not completely convinced, I can see the left side and right side of the screen don't have the same tint to them, noticeable when reading since you keep traversing the display. That said, it seems a lot better than others that I've seen. Not willing to go through another exchange, since I've already gone through 2 (although in all fairness the first one was a Wifi only device, and I decided to go with 4G this time around), so I either keep it or return it, in which case I'd probably try again in the future. Really leaning towards keeping it, since the device is just a joy to use otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_2807.JPG
    IMG_2807.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 485
  • IMG_2805.JPG
    IMG_2805.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 455
  • IMG_2804.JPG
    IMG_2804.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 463
  • IMG_2808.JPG
    IMG_2808.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 454

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This is your money you're spending. Are you satisfied? If not, then you have options. Side note, this is why I wait to make purchases with new tech that's just released. I allow for manufacturing to slow down and purchase when later on to avoid hardware issues. Just my preference.
I'm on this train of thought as well. By waiting 3-5 months, not only do you get a great screen first time out, you can also pick one up for $150+ off on sale. :)

Both patience and impatience have their prices. The question is, which price do you want to pay? o_O

Reactions: 44267547

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
What do you guys think of this one? I'm not completely convinced, I can see the left side and right side of the screen don't have the same tint to them, noticeable when reading since you keep traversing the display. That said, it seems a lot better than others that I've seen. Not willing to go through another exchange, since I've already gone through 2 (although in all fairness the first one was a Wifi only device, and I decided to go with 4G this time around), so I either keep it or return it, in which case I'd probably try again in the future. Really leaning towards keeping it, since the device is just a joy to use otherwise.

Personally I would exchange. My 10.5 has a slight yellow tint by the home button which only shows up on certain backgrounds, but the rest of the screen is perfect. Your screen looks really bad in those pics.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
iPad Pro 10,5" vs iPad Pro 9,7"

View attachment 705811
The 10.5 is whiter and more even toned.

Something to keep in mind though for everyone. If you're doing comparisons (unless it's to see maximum brightness) the 10.5 will have to be set at a lower brightness percentage to show equal nit brightness. Otherwise it's apples and oranges. You'll need a nit meter to do this.

Example: If they are both 100% brightness the 10.5 is showing 600 nits and 9.7 showing 450-500nits.

The reason its important to measure at the same brightness is because screens display all of their qualities differently at different brightnesses. Including color accuracy. It's likely the 10.5 will always look better if it's set brighter than the 9.7 so it wound be an unfair and unscientific comparison.

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
Personally I would exchange. My 10.5 has a slight yellow tint by the home button which only shows up on certain backgrounds, but the rest of the screen is perfect. Your screen looks really bad in those pics.

Yeah, you're probably right, I've been using my mini a bit today and, although otherwise the Pro's display is a lot better, the mini is vastly superior in terms of uniformity.

As mentioned, not willing to do more exchanges though. I'll give it a couple more days, but will probably end up returning it at some point this week. I might try again later in the year. Such a pity, it really is an amazing device.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yeah, you're probably right, I've been using my mini a bit today and, although otherwise the Pro's display is a lot better, the mini is vastly superior in terms of uniformity.

As mentioned, not willing to do more exchanges though. I'll give it a couple more days, but will probably end up returning it at some point this week. I might try again later in the year. Such a pity, it really is an amazing device.

Is there any proof that screens do in fact improve if you wait months after release to purchase. Genuine question, if it was true then why these issues with every iPad release?

ManyThreads

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
Is there any proof that screens do in fact improve if you wait months after release to purchase. Genuine question, if it was true then why these issues with every iPad release?

I have owned dozens of devices over the years with imperfect screens, and none of them ever improve. These are mass produced items with insane markup, they aren't going to QC every single one, and I'm sure their tolerance for "within spec" is a lot higher than those of us complaining in this thread. I think it's far more likely that you get used to it and your brain just helps tune it out. There are rumors of adhesive needing time to cure, but I have never seen proof of that, ever, and I have also read that it wouldn't even apply to these new iPad Pro displays even if it were true. If it bothers you from day 1, exchange it.

I have a mild yellow tint in the bottom left quadrant of my screen that is easier to see on light grey / off white back grounds, but I'm probably going to live with it because I am so picky that I think no matter what display I get I will find a small issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.