Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
umm. i did google, but the actual question at hand was WHAT needs to be done in order to get the call audio to come through the speakers of my car. I saw no clear answer until now. The headphone jack is the ONLY audio output that outputs call audio.. i can probably find my products now that i know this information.. But i asked if anyone knew of some to post.. why is that a bad thing? If someone else comes across this, there is a bunch of info.

I never asked people to do research for me.. but i had limitations as to my car's layout, and the fact that FOR ME blue tooth was a waste of money since i will be getting a new car and dont want to spend another $90 on anything for my iphone. I was looking for a simple, cheap solution.

I wish people would realize that what i say "waste of money for me (or my situation)" that i am really talking about ME and not you or anyone else!

On another note, if you read the post just above yours, you would have read that the gooseneck thing WILL NOT work for me because of my layout - which i states was a limitation in what i CAN do with my car..

and again, the reason for asking people to post their solutions to see which one WOULD fit for me.

For the person asking where i found it so cheap, eBay, and to address your post.

You specifically said you'll have that car for one more month. Since you seem to be practicing austerity, how is it practical to buy a setup for a car you'll be ditching so shortly? I'm baffled, you wouldn't buy a bluetooth, but you ARE willing to spend money on a setup for a car that you'll have for a mere 30 days? Why don't you just wait until you get a new vehicle. As far as solutions for talking hands free, your going to spend quite a bit of money if your not interested in a simple setup like the one i've posted above.

I'm interested in what car you drive, because that gooseneck will work in basically every car..

Also, for the record that setup was on the front page of google after typing in 'iphone 3g fm transmitter hands free'

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
k.. i have a 2002 chevy cavalier.. and i want to have a CHEAP option for a month until a get a new car.. why is that so hard to believe. I dont mind spending SOME money so i can listen to my calls and music for the next month or so.. i just miss listening to my music, is THAT so hard to believe.. and if i am going to purchase an fm transmitter, it would be a good idea to try to get one that will put my calls through also. get the most for my money. Then i can give it to my husband when i dont need it anymore. so $95+ on a bluetooth, or a $30 or less fm transmitter and you cant see why i dont want blue tooth?

The layout of my cars is basically where i cant have anything other than one single plug and cord in the outlet. there is only ONE outlet there, and the outlet is situated 2 inches to the right of the ignitition key hole, which also places it behind the steering wheel and the windsheild wiper lever.

I can post a pic if you would like, but trust me when i say ANYTHING gooseneck will not work.

Also, i KNOW that the products come up, and again, the question was, what was needed to make the calls come out of the speakers.. that question was answered. i wasnt asking people to tell me where to find them. I searched handsfree and bluetooth for iphone. I actually bought something that needs to be replaced because its actually NOT compatable with my phone at the same time it is docked.

I was just hoping for some experience and answers, because user reviews on most websites are un trustworthty.

Bodah

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
For the person asking where i found it so cheap, eBay, and to address your post.

If you happen to come across another one at that price, shoot me a PM letting me know. The lowest I see is 25 +5 shipping.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
Those little white headphones that came with the iPhone let you receive calls. They have a microphone and a button built into them. Try it!

wow.. great. what an AMAZING IDEA.. i never thought of that! you are clearly a genuis. Why didnt i just PM you and ask you that question?

wow.. great. what an AMAZING IDEA.. i never thought of that! you are clearly a genuis. Why didnt i just PM you and ask you that question?

hey hey, nobody appreciates ur sarcasm mister!! haha. they are only trying to help.

but seriously i just received my ebay purchase (above link) and i am very happy with it. phone calls are directed thru the speaker system.

if you have any specific questions feel free to ask me!

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
I just bought this as well on ebay for $25.

What's funny is that one of those guys that has a cell phone accessory booth at the mall is selling the exact same product for $200! I had just bought a chair and had to go pick it up so I extracted myself, but not before he lowered the price to $150.

The demo he put on was very nice and worked beautifully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.