Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
My ipad2 crashes several times a day. I've been through the whole route of 'fixes' including a complete wipe and restore. Nothing has helped for long.

There are several threads over at Apple Discussions. Some folks have gotten theirs replaced to no avail. The issue is definitely a low memory problem. But since not everyone is experiencing it something else is a contributing factor. For me, when I did my complete restore and rebuild I was determined to add one app at a time to see if I could find a culprit but never got that far. Mine still crashed with no third party apps and no email accounts setup. Never had one crash until iOS 5.0.

Unless this gets fixed in the next OS update I doubt I'll buy another iPad. I have a lot of $$$ invested here. I like my iPad but I'm getting tired of the crashes.

Here's one thread if anyone's interested:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17650467?ac_cid=142432#17650467

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Mine crashes all the time with safari. Other apps randomly too.

Went to best buy to check out iPad 2, checked the logs, same thing.

Waiting for iPad 3, but this is annoying and obviously apple gets this information and there is many forum postings not just here about it yet they don't do anything.

Apple = The new Microsoft.

:rolleyes: Really? The "New Microsoft?"--iPad 1 is almost 2 years old. 3 OS generations ago as far as the OS--Didn't it release with iOS 3? I use my iPad 2 3-6 hours a day...every day! Over 250 apps--more than 2500 songs--it never crashes--NEVER!!! Once in a while, my RSS reader of choice (Early Edition) will crash. That's it...and it's completely relegated to that app. Looking at crash logs proves nothing...those logs don't pertain to reality!! They're internal reports on how the system is handling memory...you don't actually "Crash" the iPad on each of those instances.

No, it was not an excellent point. If a company releases an incompatible software update, then they should say so. I definitely would not have installed iOS5, if Apple had warned about the compatibility and performance issues users could experience on iPad 1.

You are just plain "wrong" here bud. It IS compatible. It's YOUR choice whether or not to install the latest OS update. It's Common Sense! NEW software requires MORE horsepower...again, common sense!!! In the computer world this has ALWAYS been the case!!! Your post has been addressed earlier, so I'll leave it at that. Common. Sense.

Maybe you're right. But the fact that Android tablets have their issues doesn't make my iPad any less frustrating.

Knee-jerk reactions are by definition sudden. This is the opposite; the issue has been ongoing for a long time - pretty much since iOS 5. Don't misunderstand me: I want to keep buying iPads. But browsing is by far my biggest use and it's compromised right now.

Are you using iPad 1 or 2? I can't remember...as you're replying to my reply to you. Just a suggestion...as an owner of both, the 2 is definitely a different piece of gear. The crashes evident is some cases on the one are not going to be the case on the 2nd iPad. If you want to keep buying iPads..DO IT! They're completely capable devices...otherwise, this board (MacRumors) and this thread specifically would be FILLED with 'iPad issues'. That's not the case. There are 50 posts plus/minus...many redundant (or from the same user). Not bad for a thread being open for over a week!

Several suggestions have been given...including from an actual "Genius" from the Apple store. Excellent suggestions...and ones that may require a little time on your part. If you are still having said issues...attempt to narrow down the app that's giving you problems. Again...I have both models and NONE of the issues folks have talked about in this thread.

If iOS 5 was NOT compatible with iPad 1...and it TRULY did break the device or render it useless...a class action suit would pop up faster than I typed this response. This is simply not the case. However...that said, as in ALL upgrades/updates to hardware--SOME software is bound to not work on the older hardware. Just the standard evolution of computers....hardware and software BOTH! If you want to run the latest, greatest software...you must invest in the latest and greatest hardware!

...some say life isn't fair

J

Last edited:

alohaglide

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
Possible fix.

Hello. I'm not a big forum reader or poster but I saw this discussion in the sidebar and thought I'd chime in. The problem is annoying enough and I might have a fix. At least it worked for me.

In settings, General, Reset, do a "Reset settings".

When it's complete, the iPad will look like it's been wiped (welcome screen, etc.). This is scary!

Choose "this is a new iPad" rather than restoring. Finish the setup.

All the settings will now be reset, but your apps and data will still be intact.

I believe this fixes the problem. I think there was a corrupt webkit setting in there.

Hope this helps.

steve

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Hello. I'm not a big forum reader or poster but I saw this discussion in the sidebar and thought I'd chime in. The problem is annoying enough and I might have a fix. At least it worked for me.

In settings, General, Reset, do a "Reset settings".

When it's complete, the iPad will look like it's been wiped (welcome screen, etc.). This is scary!

Choose "this is a new iPad" rather than restoring. Finish the setup.

All the settings will now be reset, but your apps and data will still be intact.

I believe this fixes the problem. I think there was a corrupt webkit setting in there.

Hope this helps.

steve

As I said earlier, I tried this. It helped for a while. I'm using a MBA 11" refurb right now; it's like chalk and cheese - everything just works.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
I have an IPad 1. Certain apps tend to crash more than they use to, particularly Safari. However, I would still describe the crashes as occasional, rather than as constant or frequent. I wish I could tell the rhyme or reason but I can't. I'll have plenty of tabs open with no crashes. Other high memory apps, like djay, never crash.

Nathe

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Staffordshire, UK
I have an iPad 1. Worked fine with infrequent crashes before iOS5, since then it's been crashing all the time in Safari and in any apps that use a decent amount of memory.

Maybe Apple should have kept the iPad 1 on iOS4? Doesn't seem like 256Mb of RAM is enough for iOS5 to be ran with any stability... :(

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
The software releases ARE compatible though. Upgrading older products (not just Apple stuff) to run newer software ALWAYS causes performance issues, but it doesn't cause the device not to function altogether as the word "incompatible" suggests. I can't understand how this concept is so ubiquitous with computers and people don't make the same correlations with their handheld devices. Last year's products will not run this year's software as well as this year's products can. That's all there is to it. If Apple thought about things the way you seem to think they should then there would never be any advancements in their technology. As more powerful hardware emerges they are trying to release products and software updates to keep up with these things. They are a BUSINESS which exists to make and sell NEW products. To sell new things, there must be improvements. Apple can't sacrifice staying on the cutting edge of a multi-billion dollar industry just to appease you. Sorry if this comes as a bit of a shock.

I'm sorry, but I think you're misunderstanding the severity of the issue here. It's one thing to say that we shouldn't expect the iPad 1 to run iOS 5 as well as an iPad 2 can. But what I take you, and others in this thread, to be saying is that iPad 1 users, or any users of previous generation electronics in general, should EXPECT crashes to the degree that we're seeing on the iPad 1 when they upgrade the software. I'm sorry, but that's pure and utter nonsense! I can understand that third-party apps may have problems, but we're talking about SAFARI here.

Allow me to illustrate my point. I can power cycle my iPad, thus ensuring that no other apps are running, launch Safari and browse to a website (southwest.com causes this every time for me, but it's not the only example), and have Safari crash in less than a minute. Then every time I try to start Safari after that it crashes again if I don't stop it from loading that site. Are you honestly telling me that I should have EXPECTED such performance when I upgraded to iOS 5? Sorry, but that's BS.

I buy Apple products because they are quality, and Apple usually stands behind their hardware for many years by continuing to provide software updates. My expectation is that Apple supports their mobile devices for at least two years with firmware updates. I don't find this at all unreasonable, considering this is the pattern Apple has been following since the release of the iPhone in 2007.

To contrast this, my expectation of any other mobile device is that once I buy it I MIGHT receive one or two minor firmware updates, but beyond that I'm pretty much stuck with the version I got when I bought it. Thus, this is one major advantage of buying Apple products in my mind.

If you folks are saying that we should EXPECT previous generation Apple products to suffer SERIOUS software/firmware issues whenever we upgrade them, and further that we should NOT have the expectation that Apple will resolve such problems, then why should we even bother upgrading? If I can't upgrade my Apple device, then that seriously lowers my impression of Apple products. Personally, I'll continue to buy iPhones and Macs (on the fence about another iPad), but if this is truly the expectation then I don't blame others for thinking twice. And honestly, I may have to reconsider the advice I give others when they're making purchasing decisions.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Yep, iPad 1 crashes all the time. Especially during Safari. At other random times too.

dwest73

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Sweden
I got a iPad 1 and Safari crashes all the time, as well as several other apps. I agree with Parseckadet above. I can live with the gradually slower performance. It's to be expected. The instability of the system, however, ought to be addressed by Apple - or people with older devices should at the least be made aware of problems likely to appear with a new version of iOS.

Johnd206

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
Hope this helps (1 person :) )

I was experiencing tons of crashes in in Safari and other programs. I rebooted a few times but it didn't help. Yesterday I was thumbing through my dash board and found a lot (I could not count them all) of apps open and taking up memory. I closed all of them and I have maybe 1 crash since. Hope this helps.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Not only are my apps crashing (hey, none are perfect and but with the limited RAM, what can one expect?), but since iOS 5, I've had these "panics" which cause the iPad 2 to restart randomly.

topocalypse

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
My iPad one is attrocious. Safari crashes all the time especially demanding we pages. Mine is jail broken but I also tried my friends iPad three not jail broken, also crashes but less often. I might just sell this crap and go back to my MacbookPro.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I don't have a iPad 1 but do have a iPod Touch 4g which has the same hardware as the iPad 1 and I do feel sorry for you people. I think that Apple is to big they want you to buy everything new when it comes out. Come on the iPad 1 came out only 2 years ago. I have computers that are five years old that still run fine. I know I can't play the latest game which I don't care but for web surfing and watching videos on Netflix it is fine.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
As previously said, the Safari crashes are all due to low memory availability.

If you force every program to close after using (double clicking to open the task bar, long press to get the x, then x to delete), it seems to eliminate about 80% of the crashes.

Yes, I know numerous authors have written debunking this kind of activity as a myth, but my anecdotal evidence is that I see a huge improvement in stability when I religiously follow this process. Debunk away, but it worked for me.

In my view, the iOS5 addition of "multitasking" capability caused problems with memory management on a device which only had 256MB.

Now that I have switched from ipad1 to ipad3, I hardly ever see a crash, and don't have to manage the active programs.

beauparc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Anglesey
I've had an iPad1 since they were first released.

Updated IOS through all variants and now running the latest.

I have never, ever experienced a single crash. Not in games, safari or whatever. It is used just about every day for about 4 hours.

Totally, utterly reliable. :)

Miamigirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
iPad crashing all o the time

My iPad 1 recently started crashing all of the time. I tried erasing all content and reset, and still it crashes every few minutes in Safari and Facebook. Decided to go ahead and buy the new iPad, and it crashed repeatedly within minutes of taking it out of the box, also had sim card error in the first week. WTF ??? I returned it and am fed up.:mad:

thomas144

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
iPad 1 crashes in both safari and chrome

I thought the problem was specific to safari so I've been browsing Facebook with chrome and find that the same action on Facebook ( sharing some particular photo from a freind's page will crash either browser ). Extremely frustrating. My wife has an iPad 3, maybe she will let me try it...

zunex

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
My iPad 2 rarely crash, I wonder if I'm lucky or using apps that were well developed. :D

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
nice to see I'm not the only one.
Safari crashes all the time on my current gen new ipad.
Other apps crashe once in awhile as well.
quite frustrating.

fortunately all I really do is use this thing as an ereader.

seriously considering the new Nook HD- my wife has the Nook tablet and it NEVER crashes.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i bought an iPad 3, 32GB, LTE-Verizon last week. it has the following problems with it:

- aluminum corner chipped
- backlight bleeding
- pink tint
- crashed, froze, and stuttered very often

restoring it was a non-issue due to all of the other issues but i tried it anyways. it still froze, crashed, and stuttered during games (most notably, Metal Storm)

i exchanged it for a new one. this one is perfect, no freezing or crashing. the Podcast App has crashed once though, but that happened on my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4S. the Podcast App is horrendous and should be fixed immediately. just look at the reviews on the App Store to see what i am referring to.

so no, my iPad 3 does not crash regularly. i will admit though, the A5X can barely keep the retina going. my iPad 2 was definitely more fluid during fast motion which i notice during scrolling and certain really fast action scenes in movies. however where it falls slightly short of the iPad 2 in motion, it makes up for it in crisp picture clarity which real life 20/20 vision falls short of

as a note: i am still running iOS 5

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
England
Yeah I've had this one, which admittedly is 2nd hand, just under a week and I'm noticing it crash more and more. In fact I've just googlEd it and found this thread. It's not been something i've been overly fussed about because, unlike when a PC or a mac crashes, when it does crash I just reopen the app and it's all happened so quick i've barely noticed it...sort of.

JJD239

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
My ipad 1 crashes so often it's somewhat useless. When you ask Apple forums they erase your complaint. Wow, apple big brother doesn't want any bad information out there. But that doesn't help anyone. I guess they want everyone to be an apple geek who will put up with any problem just because its an almighty apple!

go ipad

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Yes, it did when I was using iPad 1. But not anymore on iPad 4. By the way, my iPad 1 got stabled as well after reset to factory default and installed apps again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.