Does your iPhone 4 drop more calls then your previous gen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TouchOfClass, Jul 18, 2010.

1. TouchOfClass macrumors newbie

We've all heard enough about the antenna attenuation problem. I just want to know if I can expect to have better or worse reception with real world use than i currently experience with my iPhone 3G. Steve J acknowledged that the iP4 drops 1 call per 100 more than the 3GS, but according to Slate.com the 3GS dropped 1 call per 100. That implies that the iP4 drops *twice* as many calls as the 3GS.

2. dewdst macrumors member

had it 3 weeks, haven't dropped a call. and yeah on my 3gs ive dropped calls before.

3. kuaiyouming, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. Bobajobbob macrumors regular

No and I don't recall ever dropping a call with my 1G, 3G or 3GS either.

Where do you all live that are dropping calls? Your network must really suck.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have 0 dropped calls since iPhone 4 launch.

I have had 0 calls on my 8GB 3GS purchased 9 days ago.

I have had 0 dropped calls on my 32GB 3GS purchased Sunday morning.

All phones above are activated on their own individual AT&T iPhone accounts.

I have had maybe 2 dropped calls since the end of September 2009. Service in my area is the best I have ever seen. Whatever improvements they have made since September has helped 100%. I used to have to go upstairs in my house to make any call and half of those would drop. Since September, I can make calls anywhere in my house.

Previous phones used from 2007 till iPhone 4 launch were an original iPhone, iPhone 3G and a 32GB 3GS.

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

One dropped call with the 4 so far - the reception is less of a problem than the proximity sensor for me which has resulted in 3 hang ups, one hold and one FaceTime conversation attempt!

Even with that one dropped call I don't think it's any worse than my 3GS, 3G or original iPhones with respect to dropped calls. It definitely holds reception better than the oder model though...

7. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I'm on my 2nd iP4, Apple replaced the first one because it would not hold a signal. This one is better, but does drop more calls than my 3Gs. My suggestion is to avoid the iP4. Apple is certainly not going to repeat the mistakes they made again. The next gen iPhone is bound to be better.

8. comingout macrumors newbie

many users has encountered such situation you described, but there are some people think iphone 4 is still better than previous model as a whole

9. At0m1cPunk macrumors newbie

Both mine and my wife's drop less than our 3Gs.
    Thats multiple of the 3G, not 3GS.

10. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Thankfully, I've never been a fan of telephones. However, I have always been a fan of games, music, and video. Every adult needs a phone, however, for emergencies. So there.

Dropped calls? Never had one in all my time as a cell phone user.

This was with T-Mobile, Metro, and now AT&T.

11. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

Had countless dropped calls on my 3G :rolleyes: but it was bearable, and I've dropped one call with my 4 so far. I dont think its to do with the phone, it's just because my signal is weird here (live in the countryside) and seems to change bars constantly, occasionally but rarely going to no service for a second which is what must happen during calls.

12. podsonic macrumors member

mine dropped calls all the time (about 1 in 5), took it back for a replacement, new one is a bit better.

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Only had a dropped call where cell signal went from 3 bars of 3G to 0 EDGE while driving in Chicago. That was an at&t issue, not iPhone.

14. grimmjaw macrumors newbie

no drop call here with Iphone 4 but I do got drop call all the time with my previous 3GS, really happy with it

15. diabolic macrumors 68000

In my real world use, I notice a significant difference with less drops than my 3GS. I live in a semi-rural area and in several specific spots that I travel through daily that caused drops 100% of the time with the 3GS, the iPhone 4 maintains the connection. I'm certainly getting noticeably better reception.

16. Johns12 macrumors regular

When you guys are talking about dropped calls, are you making calls from home the office and experience no drops, or are you in the car with no drops?

I can understand being stationary and not having problems, but I don't know anyone who has not had dropped calls while driving and going into weak cell areas. Not necessarily a problem with the phone.

17. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I'm coming from a 3G which out of say 10 calls, would drop at least half of those regularly; especially when in a moving vehicle, or my house.

Since picking up an iPhone 4 a few weeks ago, I have had maybe 1 in 10 drop. IMO? It's "reception" is far superior to my previous phone, and more so than any other phone I have owned. I'm quite happy with it. :D

18. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

I have not. I actually received a call yesterday just before a notorious dead spot. iP4 held the call all the way through it, no garbled voice and no bumper. I was even more impressed with the phone than before.
    This spot has caused calls to drop on every phone I have ever owned, iPhones and non iPhones previously.

19. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

I've only dropped once using iPhone and this was when i was in a cupboard full of metal and concrete walls, (was testing how bad the deathgrip problem was) and i had another phone place a call on the same network as my iphone while i tried calling a number on my iphone using the deathgrip. it had the equal or more signal to the other phone i was using, and when the bars went down to just 1, damn it held onto that signal before it dropped. but 99% of the time i'm not going to be sitting in a cupboard :)

as for the test i done. i used the phone in both high and low signal area with bumper, bumper with normal grip, bumper with normal grip with a phone call, bumper with deathgrip, bumper with deathgrip and a phone call, without bumper, no bumper with normal grip, no bumpber with normal grip and a phone call, no bumper with deathgrip, no bumber with deathgrip and a phone call. i did all this variations in high signal, outside with no phones on (best situation) and with low signal, inside concrete cupboard and full of metal, with phones on making calls (worst situation) i took the most and least bars that each test gave and put them all together and figured out that my average overall realistic signal was 3.8 bars (average) then i singled out the numbers relating to bumper usage and normal grip, and got the number for both high low signal, using deathgrip, with an without calls being placed and the number i got was 3.2 bars (average) so theres only a 0.6 difference using the deathgrip (on AVERAGE, doesn't mean you wont drop a call). so most the time i should get 3 bars. if i hold it normally i will get 3-4 bars, but if i happen to touch the antenna then it goes down to 3 bars (again doesnt rule out call drops)

that was my little test. it may not be perfect but i tried to do it as best as i could with my knowledge of physics :)

20. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Yes, actually I have. :( I never really had this problem previously. Of course I had the going through dead zones drops but not never really lose calls while in-service.

It is frustrating and now I know how everyone feels. Just last week I was on vacation in South Carolina. I couldn't even complete a 3 minute phone call over 3G. The voice would get all static like and then it either dropped (5bars) or it was too annoying to mess with and I hung up.

I guess it's proof that everyone has an iPhone and/or ATT.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

We've been through this argument and exposed its many flaws.

1. We don't know how much less than "1 more call out of 100" the iPhone 4 drops. It could be 0.1% more. It could be 0.49% more. It could be 0.999% more. Unfortunately, AT&T is unwilling to give any more information about it.

But regardless of how you look at it: if you are willing to be such a stickler that you emphasize "twice as many" dropped calls, then you should be just as precise in your math getting there, and realize that even 0.99999% more is still not precisely "twice as many."

2. Even disregarding point 1: Twice of 1% is 2%. At the end of the day, it is unlikely that you will notice 2 out of 100 dropped calls as being significantly more than 1 out of 100 in your real-world usage of the phone.

3. I haven't dropped any calls since 8 hours before launch day, when mine arrived and I had the time to activate it. According my online account information, I've made and received over 650 calls, though granted, some of those were conference calls.

22. zoman504 macrumors regular

Most definitely. In fact, this is the only issue I'm really seeing with the phone. I could careless about how many bars are being displayed. Dropped calls is the reason for my criticisms of the iphone 4. I do like everything else about it though, and will def be keeping it.

A case helps slightly, and I just try to avoid the whole bottom half of the phone while making important calls (which is pretty ridiculous, and other phones are no way near this bad).

23. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't use the phone a ton, but I have yet to drop a call. Happened regularly on my 3GS.