Does your mac ever get so hot you can't touch it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macaroooon, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

Right, I am curious.

Several times my mac has got very very hot performing fairly normal tasks.

One night it got to so hot it physically hurt to touch it and I had to switch it off and leave it for the night as I worried about the damage it could cause.

Is this normal?

When I went into the mac store they tested it's temperature and said it had never seemed to get dangerously hot, but I was shocked by the temperature.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use iStat Menus, that handy app which has a trial period provides actual temps.

As for being too hot, that doesn't seem right but hot his subjective so knowing the actual temps will help determine if something is wrong or not. For me, I've used my rMBP on my lap a number of times. While it does get warm, I've not thought it was too hot

3. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, will do :)

I asked my mum if she thought it was hot as she was shocked.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My MBP will get quite warm if I happen to play the (rare) game, like Civ V or if I'm AirPlay Mirroring from it, but it's never been so hot where it's painful to touch. I think I've seen it close to 190F during those CPU intensive activities like I mentioned.

5. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Mm, yeah, when I say hot I mean literally (IMO) burning hot. I winced when touching it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At the very least you can make an appointment with an apple genius stating that its over heating. As I mentioned however getting some clear hard numbers will only help your case.

Right now my rMBP is running at 37c and it rarely goes into the 70s

7. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

I have done, they checked the temp history and said it seemed normal, I csn't really argue, but I was concerned as the following day my mac got to it's hottest point, I found the screen completely cracked and I'm pretty sure since then the optical drive has stopped working.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

What is "performing fairly normal tasks."

If it is something like normal browsing, writing email and the like it should not get hot, if it does open Activity Monitor, click on show All processes and the CPU tab to have the most active ones at top, if a process is using too many recourses while doing these normal task you should make a screenshot and report here.

9. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Erm, I only use it for safari browsing, itunes and iMovie.

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Post a screenshot of Activity Monitor if it gets hot again, or say which process is using a lot of CPU time.

11. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Screen cracked from heat ?

I call ******** on this.

12. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

My MacBook Pro gets REALLY hot within the first 5-10 minutes. It always has. It also takes several hours to become normal again after its been turned off.

----------

I've heard of someone with a Mac that got too hot the screen cracked.

13. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

?

I may be wrong, but I am only assuming it is this as when I looked ay my mac the following day it was cracked, and I hadn't dropped it, put anything on it etc, so it made me suspicious.

I also did a bit of research on this and it doesn't seem unheard of, just very rare.

14. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Even a 1080p video stream can really get your MacBook boiling. You can probably blame Flash for that.

Also when you're running hot open up your Activity Monitor and look for the processes that are high on CPU usage.

EDIT: Oops just realized justperry already posted this.

15. utekineir macrumors 6502

My original intel core duo 15" mbp was an oven. Would actually legitimately uncomfortable to sit on your lap with shorts even during light use, and other than going through a battery that machine ran flawless for 5+ years till it was sold.

16. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yeah, she is really hot. :p

17. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

"Too hot to touch" is a pretty subjective state. Everyone has their own tolerances of what is "too hot."

That said, keep in mind your computer is a chunk of aluminum, which by its very nature is an excellent heat conductor. I got my first MBP a couple of months ago and for the first few days, the heat that would come off of it when I was playing a game, using Photoshop, or (don't judge me) using Windows was a bit alarming.

If your computer does get too hot or a component starts to overheat, the sensors will trip and the computer will shut down. If that happens, then you have reason to worry.

18. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi everyone - my mac once again is getting ridiculously hot:

I've made threads on this before and visited apple who've done tests and said it's fine but it's become a huge problem now.

Within 15 minutes of using my macbook, especially when watching video's (youtube) the left side of my MBP gets extremely hot. And yes, I mean almost burning to the touch. The mouse begins to move slowly and playback is poor. Bare in mind this is when I am using it on a table and I often have to end up propping it up to cool down as I'm worried about the heat.

I no longer hear the fan either.

I'm concerned when I take it to apple (I have an app) once again they'll say nothing is wrong but this is horrendous for a £1000 laptop and I am far from happy.

19. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

How many times? Use iStat and Activity Monitor

20. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll download that now.

When you say how many times, do you mean how often does it get so hot I can't touch it? - every time I use it. It hasn't yet powered off, but right now if I touch the left side of the laptop, both on the top of the keyboard and the underside it's boiling, not just hot as I'd expect, boiling.

I know that the graphs processor temperature diode (whether that's important I don't know) is going between 80 - 93 degrees.

Battery (and battery positions 2 & 3) are in the 40 degrees range.

21. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

iStats does not work on the new rmbps.

All my macbooks get so hot that its not possible to hold them.

23. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, I see.

Okay the temps I see on stat are:
    [​IMG]

What I'm doing with the MPB: Just browsing FB, Macrumours and one youtube tab open. Also open is iMessage.

Other times it's gotten hot are when streaming a non HD movie/ tv program - or inlayer on SD. It gets both hot and payback begins to stop and start etc.

24. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Mine gets very hot but it's within limits... Usually after a solid 6hr gaming session though, and it cools down quickly afterwards.

25. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

I know Macs being made of metal or whatever will get hot, and I would expect like you say after a long gaming period.. but this is within 15 - 20 minutes of what I would say very light usage.