Does your Mac Pro run silent?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by entatlrg, Jun 29, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Does your mac pro run silent or do you often hear the fans?

2. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

I often hear the fans.. but I am always listening to music, so I dont really care too much. And when my MBP isnt running too hot, and I am not in the mood of music, I just put the fans down a bit :)

Cheers

3. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

The fans always spin, hence not silent.

It depends on your environment, your other background noises may be louder than the fans in which case it may *seem* silent, subjectively.

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Mine is really quite. I hear the graphics card spin up on a restart, and occasionally under a heavy load but not often. Also anything with the optical drives makes a bit of noise but not enough to really be a problem.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I want my MP and the components inside not to break and I want my software to run in a cool and STABLE environment. Therefor my MP makes noise! smcFanControl! :D

If you need silent running than get a sound-proof cabinet made for that. Making MPs quiet by running them too hot is the worst thing Apple has ever done since I have been watching. Or I dunno, EFI was a pretty bad move too I suppose. :p

6. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

the loudest component of my mac pro by far is my 2600XT (well 2 of them)

the fans themselves never get above a whisper, except for the GPU

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Yeah - If my G5 didn't make noise, I would be scared! People say that its a "vacuum cleaner", but that's nowhere near the real story. For a while I had a really loud sound I thought was a fan with a bad magnet, but it turned out to be the HDD not firmly in place :eek:! Considering the mount in the G5, I can see how a lot of people would have this problem.

Also, EFI was a pretty poor move IMO; it would make flashing cards a lot easier if one didn't have that bovine scatology> If the OFWG had kept their side of the deal up, we could at least have seen some nicer equipment still using OpenFirmware.

8. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

SMC fan control rules, yes it's loud, it's a WORKING machine.

9. gdieter macrumors member

I only hear the fans spinning momentarily at turn on. Heck, the fan and the drives in my NAS make far more noise, as do the external disks that are sometimes plugged in.

The quietness of my Early '08 MP was jaw-dropping compared to the 7-year old, 4-fan-cooled, dual AMD cpu Wintel box it replaced.

10. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Exactly my thoughts, I turn the fans up on my MP when I'm doing basically anything intensive, as I want to keep it cool, regardless if it doesnt want to keep itself cool. ;)

11. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I haven't heard a G5 go off. The 2006 and 2008 machines are completely silent tho. Of course the drives are 50C and the CPU hits 75C to 80C pretty much just by moving the mouse. This is very very poor engineering. Over in the dev channel at Apple we've nagged them to death about it too. They have tried twice therefrom to formulate a proper revision of the system cooling but I think they failed. :) They may have gotten it right with the 2009 models tho. I hear they are actually audible. For previous models smcFanControl or Fan Control, will save the day tho.

Exactly. All this flashing stuff. What a nuisance. And what for? Did they think people couldn't or wouldn't? I think it actually hurts their sales. They would nab the same bunch of consumers just stating policy to the affect that 3rd party added cards will not be supported. <shrug> :p

12. mags631 Guest

MacPro4,1. Silent on Mac OS X. Not silent on Bootcamp/Vista -- I think it's the video card fan that is making the noise in Vista.

Actually, the Superdrive is obnoxiously loud when reading and writing on both OS X and Vista.

13. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I hardly hear mine at all. Most of the time I wouldn't even know it's there. The only sound I hear is when I am burning a CD.

14. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

This is pretty much my experience. The machine itself is a whisper, except for GPU making a huge noise on startup. And whenever I do anything with the optical drives, they make a huge noise.

(Although, they're probably just as loud as any other optical drive...it's just that the machine is relatively quiet the rest of the time)

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I've never seen my machine get above 45C with the fan at the original RPM.

16. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I hardly hear anything form my 2009 MP except sometimes the HDs and any spinning optical media.

Loa

17. grue macrumors 65816

My Raptors are loud, but that doesn't bother me. I rarely hear any other noise from it.

18. MegaMillions macrumors regular

There are different levels of noise in the environment where the machine is, and also different levels of hearing sensitivity in people.

The fact is, the Mac Pro does make a consistent noise. When it's on and operating, it makes noise. If you have a dead silent room, and a Mac Pro, when you put it to sleep, it feels like you were inside a car and the engine was just turned off.

That being said, in most average environments, it doesn't stand out as obnoxiously noisy.

19. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

A bit louder since I popped in a 4870 but... still quite compared to many of the gaming PC rigs I've run in the past...

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was going to say this ... my NAS is louder than my MP.

21. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

It depends on what peoject im working on. Working with flash makes the mac go crazy. But if im just browsing the internet its pretty quiet.

22. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

There ARE exceptions. Usually some guy operating up at the North Pole but hey...
    Also sometimes "never seen" means never looked. ;)

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I live in Kansas, which is currently averaging 95F, or 35C for you metric guys. No North Pole for me. And I look every single day. Usually at least once or twice an hour. ;)

24. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The fans might be quite but right now I'm at 64º Celsius on CPU A and 52º on CPU B.

25. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Like I said I see exceptions like this posted from time to time. <shrug>