Does your Macbook Get put into Sleep or Shutdown?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeM87, Jan 8, 2011.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Just wondering as I've heard a few people just let them sleep i always shut mine down?

what do you guys do?

2. bt22 macrumors 6502

Sleep. Have only shutdown 2 or 3 times during the 12 months I've owned my 13 MBP. Have had no problems what so ever. It's always ready when I need it. I've always heard it's harder on the computer to always shutdown.

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Same for my MBP. i may restart every week or so but I never turn it off and leave it off.

4. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Sleep. I shut it down only when I travel with it.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That's a great point to note. When you are transporting the computer and/or you know that a chance it will be subjected to shock, shut it down, as HDDs which are off can take more of a beating and resist higher temperatures. Also, certain hard drives recommend that they not be used in completely dry or completely humid temperatures for extended periods of time. If you have a SSD it appears that the shock issue is not much of a factor as they are extremely shock/vibration/element resistant and the impact ratings on pretty much all of them are high enough that you will probably break other parts in the computer before the SSD.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

7. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I let mine sleep if I know I'll be using it periodically throughout the day. But with my SSD it really doesn't matter anymore because start-up is so quick.

8. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Sleep. The closest I come to a shut down is restarting after an update.

9. Abstract, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The platters on your HDD aren't spinning when your computer is in sleep.

Anyway, I put my computer to sleep unless there's a reason to restart. Leaving it on doesn't use enough electricity to bother me. I'm running the old Powerbook sleep setting, where my computer's current state (all windows, apps open, etc, on your computer prior to sleeping) is stored to RAM only. That means my computer sleeps almost immediately, and awakes from sleep immediately.

FYI, I believe the default sleep settings of new MacBooks and MBPs is to store your current state in both RAM and your harddisk, which means your computer takes awhile to sleep. It's not a big deal, but I don't like the idea of closing my new MBP's lid and shoving it into my bag/backpack immediately if it's still in the process of storing stuff on the HDD.

10. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

if i know i will return within 2 hours i will put it in sleep otherwise i will shut it down

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

What did you do with your old computer?

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Hard drives (SSDs and HDDs) are rated to survive better shock and temp fluctuations when they are off; I was under the impression that the HDD still used some power when in sleep?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, none at all.

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Oopsies! :eek:

In that case, don't listen to me!

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sleep. Only restart when its needed for/with an update, and only shut down if i'll be taking it for a journey.

16. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

lately ive been putting it to sleep since everyone else is too. no issues so far. but dont forget to calibrate your battery.

17. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Sleep, However, as a college student, I am beginning to consider shutting it down when its in my backpack en route to different classes...