Does your macbook or macbook pro work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ViciousShadow21, Mar 24, 2009.

?

How has your new macbook/macbook pro treated you?

1. Worked Perfectly

140 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. Minor Discrepancies

40 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. Had it Serviced

28 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. Had it Replaced

27 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Forums are usually full of problems and might scare ppl into thinking that all macs have issues. i know it may seem like im in a poll mode or something but i think this poll will help show ppl that its not all problems out there.

2. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i gave the multiple choice option in case you had it serviced then had to get it replaced or any variation that does not include worked perfectly

3. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

also if you got a replacement and want to be able to vote on both computers.

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

My old Core Duo MacBook Pro had serious problems and had to have most of its parts (including the logic board) replaced.

My current Santa Rosa MacBook Pro has a couple of small defects on its screen and has on two occasions locked up (hard drive decided to stop working temporarily). Other than that it's been very trusty.

I always have Time Machine running just in case.

5. genmic macrumors regular

You know this is useless right? I think you have a great idea, I mean I would love to see accurate results on the number of problems per computer with these unibodies. I read an article that even when Apple was at its best roughly 20% of their laptops needed repairs within the first year (which is not bad.) I am sure this number has increased with the introduction of the Rev A unibodies.

Not only will this suffer from selection bias, but non-response as well. Not to mention your opening post is going to ensure a healthy amount of response error:

Oh sure.. I want to be the person to scare people away from Macs... hmm I don't think I have any major problems with this machine, not really, no...

But how can I factor my four replacements into this poll thing?

6. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that why you have the thread so that you can put notes and specific examples in addition to the poll. i think its already showing that there are more success stories than problems which is what i wanted to show. cause if you go on just this forum it looks like 95% of ppl who buy these laptops have a problem. so dont hate bro haha

7. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i think this is doing well. it shows that WAYYY more computers work than dont work. i like it

8. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

The only problem has been the keyboard fading on the white keys.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, but was this ever really in doubt? Could any computer manufacturer stay in business if this were not the case?

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Had battery arrive DOA; switched out overnight w/magsafe adapter as well. No problems since....:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

11. bossxii macrumors 68000

I think these types of polls/threads are good because "most" of the people that come to tech forums have issues or are trying to solve problems. The poll is probably skewed to "issues" even more so than someone should expect. If a poll of 100 or so members here report in less then 20% have had issues I would honestly be shocked. I was expecting 50% with some issues considering where the poll is being posted :)

I think it goes a long way to show how few machines are likely to have any issues at all. Apple probably doesn't post "we have 6% failure rate out of the box, or only 12% of our machines ever need service work within the first 90 days etc...

Look at the first page of the MBP, MBA or MBA, iMac forums and there are just as many (or more) "should I wait to buy", "are the problems really that bad?" type posts as their are "love my xxxx" or people that are happy. This isn't perfect but it's a start :)

12. genmic macrumors regular

Why would that surprise you if less than 20% report having issues???

Look at the way the poll is worded!! Imagine recieving a survey in the mail...

"We all know Mac's don't have as many problems as people seem to think.... so please fill out this non-biased survey..."

Yea, you know those results aren't going to be biased...

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Mine did work...until the logicboard had to be replaced. Still 100% in love with this machine though. :D

14. Totti macrumors member

Replaced it before just getting a refund, in the two computers i had, it suffered:
    - Unnacepptable screen bleed
    - A dent out of the box
    - A mac that somehow came off the production line in October, even though i purchased from the Apple store in Feb. Trivial issue i know, but i waited on purpose to pick a laptop that had a later manufactoring date to try minimise potential faults.

- Unnaceptable screen bleed (Worse than #1)
    - - A dead pixel which they weren't going to replace it for (Even though it was >14 days!!), but they replaced it due to issue #1

So i decided the money would be better spent on a new BRAVIA :D. I'll get a MBP when i'm satisfied i'll get my 3 and a half grands worth.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Every MBP I've owned warped so far except the latest unibody.

16. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

My 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB Ram, 320 GB HDD, nVidia 8600m 128mb Vram, has ran flawlessly since day one. I even cracked it open to upgrade the HDD and it still runs like a tank. It is the most stable and best investment I have ever made computing wise.

It made me glad I became an :apple: user (since 05, iBook G4).

17. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

My MacBook is great. No problems.

The refurbished iMac I first had experienced fan problems. The replacement has been top-notch.

18. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

haven't had any issue since i bought it, but i need to do some upgrades :)

19. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea guys i made this not to be 100& accurate but to be point of reference for ppl. a lot of ppl post and start threads starting like "im worried cause i see everyone having these problems" or "will this happen to me?" kind of stuff. so i just was hoping that instead of saying its ok you'll be fine we can have some numbers to show them.

20. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Had to have the logic board replaced after only owning the machine for less than 4 months. That's pretty sad. We'll see how long the new one holds up. I have my doubts it will last any longer than the last one if it was replaced with the same part that failed the first time.

21. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Ditto...256GB SSD here I come. :)

22. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

23. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Amazing poll, bravo. This will be very good for questioning buyers! I bought an Aluminum MacBook yesterday and it is perfect in every way. I am very satisfied with it's build quality. :)

24. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Cosmetically perfect MBP bought in 10/08...but the iSight had to be replaced on 2/08.

Cheers.

-J.-

25. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

My 2 month old 15" Refurb MBP has been flawless. Except for the box, it came looking and acting like a new one. I use it for hours every day, doing graphics and photo work, with streaming audio going in the background all day. It has been absolutely great! Flawless is the correct word.