Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Mine is one week old and it looks like a banana. The bottom is bending down, making the edges being lifted from my table. Do you have the same issue?

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
I cannot even fathom what it would be like trying to type on a banana-shaped keyboard..that must be awful :rolleyes:

It's aluminum. Thin aluminum. Give it a tweak to remove the bend to the extent that it lays flat atop your work-surface :)

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Very strange. o_O

It's aluminum on the top but very hard plastic on the bottom. I've been using mine on a desk for 7 weeks now and it remains perfectly flat.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
The resemblance is uncanny!

MB110B.jpg
ask-me-about-my-banana.jpg

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Yes, mine arrived bent, dipping in the middle. I gently bent, twisted, persuaded it until it was as straight as I could make it.

The previous model aluminium keyboard was aluminium all through. The Magic keyboard, despite being 2.5x more expensive than the previous version, is thin aluminium on top, plastic underneath. "Our best keyboard ever: lighter, thinner, flexibler." Great.

Edit: to balance what I wrote above, there are good things about this keyboard… when I work on site with clients, I often bring this keyboard with me. It's light and as compact as possible for a full sized keyboard. Bluetooth means one less cable to lose, and the charge after 3 full weeks of use is down to 80% only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wackery

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm leaving an Apple Store without my keyboard but with the money back. The guy in the store had opened four bed news keyboards and all of them was bent.

Looking at the top edge, the middle is bent down, and the outer edges are lifted, looking as a banana. o_O

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
I'm leaving an Apple Store without my keyboard but with the money back. The guy in the store had opened four bed news keyboards and all of them was bent.

Looking at the top edge, the middle is bent down, and the outer edges are lifted, looking as a banana. o_O

Fravin that is unfortunate to learn. Thank you for being a good-sport and not getting bent over my having fun at your expense a bit..it really is in good fun and there’s no ill intention whatsoever. Feel free to return the jest, anytime.

Good luck finding a keyboard. Although I’m uncertain whether they have wireless options or not, I can tell you that Filco keyboards are top-shelf. The $$ spent to acquire one is quickly forgotten after using it for a day or two. I wholeheartedly recommend them..the ninja keyboards are pretty neat. Now I'm craving a damn banana.

Get it..I said bent..lol

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Much ado about nothing. :rolleyes:

Apparently the Magic Keyboard has a very gentle convex design for the bottom. But it is not bent. The case is designed that way and you will never even notice it unless you carefully examine the bottom of the keyboard from the side. Then you will see that it is ever so slightly less space between the desk and the center as opposed to the edges. However, measure the height of the case at both sides and center and you will see that the center is about a half a millimeter thicker. The keyboard sits perfectly flatly on the pads and most importantly, the TOP is perfectly flat. Get a long ruler and rest it on top and you should see no spaces underneath.

I think people worrying about this are the bananas.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Mine is fine and sits tight on the flat desk surface. Great keyboard with excellent battery life.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
The one I have at work has the curvature you speak of - I honestly wasn't sure whether it was by design (to prevent rocking on the corners on desks that are not 100% flat) or an outcome of it being a long piece of thin aluminum. Functionally it works well, I really like the overall design, and this doesn't intervene with anything I do - but if it isn't by design, they might want to add on a bit more metal in the future!!!

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
To even see the convex, you have to carefully examine the keyboard on a flat surface at eye level and even then it's not obvious and quite easy to miss.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I really appreciate your insights. But it's not a statement, it's your own opinion.

No, it is not an opinion. It is a fact. Do as I explained above and measure a Magic Keyboard at the center and the edges. This is how it is designed.

My really concern is not about how it look, nor if it's or not a visual limited issue. But how this thing will hold it shape through years of work...

Since what you characterize as a defect is not one, it will have no effect whatsoever on the longevity of the device.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
The keyboard sits perfectly flatly on the pads and most importantly, the TOP is perfectly flat. Get a long ruler and rest it on top and you should see no spaces underneath.
That's not strictly accurate. Here's a video of the keyboard I bought from the online Apple store on the day of the WWDC keynote, the day they were released. You can see the TOP is curved, it isn't perfectly flat as you suggest.

The keyboard I received with my iMac is dead flat.

Last edited:

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
As is mine along the top. It has a very gentle convex along the bottom.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to prove with this video.

Well you said that if you lay a ruler along the top, it will be flat. You can see from the video that mine isn't, it has the curve.

This is the keyboard I bought from the online store on the day they were released. It's clearly bent along the top surface.

The one which came with my iMac doesn't have that bend.

/edit - I should add that I've spoken to Apple support about this and they told me that if I take it into a store, it'll be replaced so as soon as I get a chance to go to one (the nearest is 65 miles away), I'll be doing that.

Last edited:

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Well you said that if you lay a ruler along the top, it will be flat. You can see from the video that mine isn't, it has the curve.

No, I said it should be flat as you can see from my video. I didn't say there was no such thing as defective/damaged Magic Keyboards.

The one which came with my iMac doesn't have that bend.

Indeed, Magic Keyboards are not meant to be bent on the top.

/edit - I should add that I've spoken to Apple support about this and they told me that if I take it into a store, it'll be replaced so as soon as I get a chance to go to one (the nearest is 65 miles away), I'll be doing that.

Yes, the one in your video is clearly defective and/or damaged and I hope you can get it replaced soon.

davita70

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2017
Much ado about nothing. :rolleyes:

Apparently the Magic Keyboard has a very gentle convex design for the bottom. But it is not bent. The case is designed that way and you will never even notice it unless you carefully examine the bottom of the keyboard from the side. Then you will see that it is ever so slightly less space between the desk and the center as opposed to the edges. However, measure the height of the case at both sides and center and you will see that the center is about a half a millimeter thicker. The keyboard sits perfectly flatly on the pads and most importantly, the TOP is perfectly flat. Get a long ruler and rest it on top and you should see no spaces underneath.

I think people worrying about this are the bananas.

'Much ado about nothing'? How rude! We pay several times more for Apple design and functionality. For that, we expect a keyboard that sits flat on the desk. PLUS, when placed next to a Magic Trackpad, there is a difference in height.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
'Much ado about nothing'? How rude! We pay several times more for Apple design and functionality. For that, we expect a keyboard that sits flat on the desk.

My Magic Keyboard sits perfectly flat on the desk and is perfectly flat. If you've got a defective keyboard, I suggest you get it replaced.

PLUS, when placed next to a Magic Trackpad, there is a difference in height.

Again, it sounds like you have a bad keyboard. Instead of getting all outraged at me, channel some of that energy into calling Apple and getting it replaced. :)

Reactions: oyabroch!

davita70

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2017
My Magic Keyboard sits perfectly flat on the desk and is perfectly flat. If you've got a defective keyboard, I suggest you get it replaced.

Again, it sounds like you have a bad keyboard. Instead of getting all outraged at me, channel some of that energy into calling Apple and getting it replaced. :)

outraged? You over estimate your importance to me. To say that a recurrent issue on an expensive product is ‘much ado about nothing’, you are showing contempt for others on this forum.

Reactions: PC_tech

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
outraged? You over estimate your importance to me.

Oh, my bad. I guess I mistook "How Rude!" in all red text for anger.

To say that a recurrent issue on an expensive product is ‘much ado about nothing’, you are showing contempt for others on this forum.

No, by doing so I am speaking my opinion, the purpose of these forums. Recurrent issue is another matter of opinion.

Addie2020

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2017
Mine is one week old and it looks like a banana. The bottom is bending down, making the edges being lifted from my table. Do you have the same issue?

I had the same problem. Contacted Apple support and they arranged replacement very quickly after I returned the curved keyboard. It was a bit of a nuisance, but Apple support put it right efficiently.

Attachments

• IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    860.7 KB · Views: 2,121

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I had the same problem. Contacted Apple support and they arranged replacement very quickly after I returned the curved keyboard. It was a bit of a nuisance, but Apple support put it right efficiently.

Now that is one seriously bent keyboard. I'm glad to hear Apple straightened it out for you (pardon the pun).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.