Does your nTB MBP have crackling sound near left speaker during startup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snsd, Jan 4, 2017.

1. snsd macrumors newbie

My MBP has static noise/crackling sound near the left speaker during startup. It's only audible when I put my ear next to the keyboard. And it only happens after I login with my password, when the loading bar is about to reach 50%. (I have Filevault turned on and its running 10.2.2 if that matters.)

Just curious if anyone's nTB MBP has the same issue like mine.

2. vasatrya macrumors newbie

I hear a crackling/static noise every hour or so if I'm on my laptop, whether or not I'm playing music. It's like a quick *pop* not too loud, but loud enough for me to notice..add it to the list of problems. I bought my macbook new but it had 8 charge cycles on it.

I have a base nTB
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2017 ---
    Just FYI, i found this thread...

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2016-macbook-pro-problem.2022709/

probably what you're talking about

3. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

No pops or crackles ever. Return it!

4. justinus macrumors newbie

Is this the sound you're referring to? I have Filevault enabled, too. I thought it was the keyboard backlight triggering the discharge, but it may be the decryption process...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/15-2016-mbp-speaker-crackling.2015467/page-8#post-24334757

5. santicpo macrumors newbie

santicpo

I don't have FileVault activated and the pop sound is there.

6. justinus, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

justinus macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info! I'm not suggesting FileVault is the only trigger, I just noticed that for mine the "pop" happens before the keyboard backlight activates. It could very well be any process that causes a voltage spike to trigger the discharge/"pop."

7. santicpo macrumors newbie

santicpo

Okay. But in my case happens randomly: not only during startup... Perhaps Apple needs more time to investigate... And we should be more patient... or not... o_O

8. justinus macrumors newbie

It occurs randomly for me too, even after boot. I took out the word "pre-boot" to clarify. I keep harping on the boot process because it's easy to reproduce the issue that way. But if it is static electricity accumulating inside the notebook, any time there's a path for that energy to be released (e.g., during a voltage spike from the CPU, keyboard backlight, or speakers being used) it'll "pop." I'm taking mine to Apple this week to see if it's a shielding or grounding issue.