Does your screen scratch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xMBPx, Jul 6, 2011.

1. xMBPx macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bought a invisible shield from best buy just because I wanted the back protection for when I sehong phone down. I'm not sure if I want to put it on my screen yet though.

Those of you that keep your phone in your pocket without a case or screen protector, does your screen have any scratches?

Thanks

2. kvaughan macrumors member

I went with no screen protector for a week after I bought mine and then I noticed a very small scratch on the back glass. Bought SGP protectors and put them on immediately.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I just turn the pocket inside out and slap it a bit to get any mineral dust or lint out. I've been living with a bumper case, 0% screen protector iPhone 4 for 4 months, and I have not a single scratch.

4. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

This post is classified M18+ It is restricted to mature audience only. It contains word "naked"! :)D )

When I got my iPhone I had it all wrapped up, protected, encased, covered... it could've take a bloody bullet and nothing would have happened. As I went on using it, and with time the layers came off... Now it is naked... And has been so for the last year. The only mark is on the back where the case used to slide against it. No scratches on the glass, yet.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

What's a sehong? :D

On a more serious note, I never leave the phone completely naked. At the bare minimum, I use a screen protector. I find the screens to get scratched very quickly without one. Many of my friends have iPhones and the ones who don't use any sort of screen shield end up with the most scratches. A $5 piece of plastic (that is easy to replace) to protect the screen (a bit harder to replace) from scrapes on a $500~ device. Just seems common sense to me! I would definitely recommend one.

6. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Granted, I'm very ocd but you really can't be too careful. I've had protectors on the front/back of my phone and threw on a case from the get-go. Very cheap price to pay in order to protect your investment IMO.

7. xMBPx thread starter macrumors regular

My iPhone's best attempt to auto correct "set my" lol :confused: :apple:

8. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I agree as I've always had protectors on the front and back since day one with a bumper during the week and naked on the weekends.

As far as investment goes. A cell phone is far from one.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

That is nothing short of hilarious. :D

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Ive got three that are being used bare by various family members. Nearly a year old not one has scratches. Pretty durable I'd say.

The Oleophobic coating is excellent. I see no reason to cover it either since there is zero sign of wear.

Too bad Apple didn't get serious & give it a good phone.

11. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I recently purchased a power support anti-glare shield after I noticed a small scratch on the screen. Probably just the oleographic coating, but I covered it nonetheless.

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Probably not a bad idea to do anyway! My next iPhone will be screen-shielded out of the box.

13. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Yea, the anti-glare cuts down on the vividness and crispness of the screen but I feel like seeing the scratch all day would bug me more.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My iPhone has no scratches, my iPod touch on the other hand does, but that took a couple years to get the first scratch. No screen protector on either.

15. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Went naked several weeks ago and so far I have no scratches, although I'm pretty OCD about cleaning my phone (I'm gonna wipe it after this post). Just cut your fingernails regularly and use your thumbs instead of your nails. And of course, put your phone in its own pocket....

16. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's good to use your thumbs considering your nails can't trigger anything on the screen. :D

17. genexrocket macrumors regular

I've dropped my 1st gen iPhone on cement at least 3 times and it never had a single scratch on the screen after 3 years of use with no case. My case-less iPhone 4 is now a year old and has a couple scratches and I've never dropped it or did anything that would cause it to have scratches, I think it has something to do with the oleophobic coating... oh well. A phone's a phone.

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The first gen was a tank. :eek:

I bought one recently to have as a novelty/for when I travel so that I can't give into the temptation to use 3G.

Long story short, I learned the hard way that my carrier doesn't support 2G GSM frequencies. :( Oh well, I turned the thing around and made 30 bucks!

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Do I have scratches? Yes
    Do I care? No

It's a phone and should be used like one.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I had an iPhone 3G for 2 years and now an iPhone 4 for 1 year. I've gotten many dings, scrapes and scratches over that time on both phones. And yet none of them have been on the front of the phone and I've never had any problems with the screen.

Phone cases I understand...but I think screen-protectors are just a big scam.

21. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I hate screen protectors. I hate the drag they put on the screen. Touch screens and screen protectors do not mesh well.

22. Centient macrumors 6502

When we sold our AT&T phones in January my glass was immaculate. My wife's was littered with tiny scratches. Both of us use cases. Neither of us like or use screen protectors.

Her phone is in and out of her purse all day. Lumped in with whatever she throws in there.

My phone is kept in a dedicated pocket, that I will occasionally put my keys in as long as they are against the case side of the phone.

In fact you couldn't really see the scratches on her phone during any kind of normal use. Aesthetically it wasn't as appealing with the screen off. Functionally it was fine.

23. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

24. mms13 macrumors 6502

Scratches happen.

Remember when Apple said the iPhone 4 had helicopter windshield glass and couldn't be scratched? They lied.

25. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I've got mine in a white bumper (just because I like it, mostly) and only started using that a few months back - no scratches until then, no scratches now, either. My wife has hers completely bare, carried in her purse or a pocket, and doesn't take any care whatsoever with it, and so far has gotten a couple of *very* minor scuffs on the back - barely noticeable - and one tiny pinprick on the screen, so small it looks like a splash of water dried on there. It's equally barely noticeable.

I'm incredibly impressed by the durability of this glass. Last year at this time Macrumors was pretty much filled with complaints about how people broke or scratched their glass already (not kidding - within days of it being released,) but it seems like people were going out of their way to damage it. For glass, I find this to be pretty awesome stuff.