Does Your Vision Suck?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MICHAELSD, Aug 3, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Staring at backlit screens all day has pretty much ruined my vision. I have to lean in pretty close to even read what I'm typing while my MacBook Pro is on my lap (and other text). I sit a few feet away from my 50" TV to play video games (which really is pretty immersive). That should be socially acceptable, but unfortunately most people sit far way so that their TV takes up about 15%-25% of their vision. Backlit displays are usually worse to the average user who doesn't know or care to change a display's backlight from maximum brightness.

Anyway, I have glasses for distance, but I never wear them other than when I absolutely need to. I should probably change my habit, but I don't like looking at the world through glass. I'm sure many people on this forum have pretty bad vision from all of the displays they look at daily? Suggestions? Opinions? Our vision is only getting worse. I'll wait a while before having any surgery done since you should only have lasik done once then your vision will worsen again.

2. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Your vision sucks because you don't wear your glasses! Trust me, I wore glasses for 33 years before I had lasik. I can see great and even read without reading glasses. I sit in front of a computer all day long, too. It's probably not the back lit screens, but your proximity. Put your glasses on and back up.:rolleyes:

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. I have worn glasses and contacts since I was in second grade. You have to wear them as much as possible, or your eyes will get worse! I have had the same prescription for the last 20 years. It hasn't changed one bit- BUT, I wore my corrective lenses.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

My prescription has changed several times just in the last 10 years or so, and usually gets worse (stronger). Anyway, I agree. Wear the lenses. If you don't like glasses, try contacts. I don't really know how much staring at a screen damages your vision, though. I know it's not great, but I don't know if it degrades your vision. I do keep the backlight turned down on my monitor because excessive brightness is annoying. I don't know how much good it does, though, as I sit under 8 fluorescent (full size) bulbs at work, and it's very bright and annoying.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

God, my vision absolutely SUCKS.

I've had glasses since 3rd grade. And I got contacts in 9th grade (In 11th now). My vision is like..-5.5 for both my eyes.

I blame my addiction to videogames around 2nd/3rd grade.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Both of those ideas are wrong. Not everyone's vision will worsen again and you don't have to only have one lasik. Do you have a good eye doctor that you trust? Have him/her refer you to a good lasik doctor; use both of them to monitor your sight and stop waiting. Lasik was the best medical decision I ever made. Four years now and never regretted it for a second.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Some people will disagree with that. That corrective lenses weakens your eyes and those who go without them are actually "exercising" their eyes so their version doesn't worsen as badly as those who wear them. probably could argue this all day... but I have nothing else to talk about, I think the mods are closing my other threads right now. :)

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I believe the it been shown that wearing or not wearing glasses does not effect how bad your vision will go.

Stronger or weaker mussels in your eye do not effect how well in focus something is. Bad vision is cause by imperfection in the lens of your eye.

For me I can see about 1ft (30 cm) before I need my glasses. My vision is to the point I can only find my glass by feel or by putting my nose to the ground.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mine is terrible. My vision is -4 in one eye, -7 in another. The -4 has a blind spot 3x bigger than what its supposed to have so everythings a bit darker in that one. The -7 lens distorts stuff pretty bad (buildings end up with curved walls).
    To top it all off I have astigmatism and viewing things very close up for an extended time gives me a migraine.

But they're the awesomest blue they say.

10. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

My vision absolutely sucks. I have been wearing glasses since I was 7. I have astigmatisms in both eyes, that have been getting progressively worse over the past 9 years. When I first got glasses, I could read without them (things were just a little blurry); now I can't see an inch in front of me without my glasses. I'm just thankful for polycarb/lightweight lenses:D

-Don

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

20/100 in my right (lazy) eye. Screens cause eye strain, but they shouldn't hurt your vision.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

When I go to the eye doctor now I joke when they ask me the smallest line I can read. My response is "Does it count that I know the first line is a 'E'".

Now on the near vision test I can read the smallest line with no trouble at all.
    Ah the joys of -3.25 and -3.75 vision

13. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Battery acid to my right eye in Grade 4. Well wasn't that fun?

Glasses ever since; cause the right eye to become lazy (obviously, as it was doing no work anyway).

And yes, if you stop wearing glasses for a while as I did in Grades 7 and 8, your vision does deteriorate. When I got fitted for a new pair, I had a stronger prescription, and to my great dismay, my right eye is literally too screwed for contacts.

WEAR ZEM!

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I had my eyes tested last weekend – -7.00 in my right eye, -8.50 in the other.

Chuck in background retinopathy and it's fair to say that my eyes aren't in as good as shape as they might be. Pah.

15. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

yes my vision sucks. i have a hard time seeing far away but the doc says its not bad enough for glasses just yet. i do have a detached retina though. its like having a gnat buzzing in front of my face all the time. so annoying!!!

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Astigmatic since I was 11. Now I have bifocals. They really suck.

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Wow.:eek: I'm only -6.25 in both eyes, with a fair bit of astigmatism.

Same here, though not as bad. I get the swirling fireworks effect after rubbing my eyes.

People have been telling me for years to get Lasik, but I'm rather fond of wearing glasses.:) Also, there are times when NOT being able to see clearly is a plus. Think sauna with a bunch of hairy, middle age men.;)

18. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I have awesome eyesight. I've always loved it, I can read things very far away and also focus on stuff 2-3 inches away from my face. Then again, I'm only seventeen, so I expect it will begin to deteriorate. I just don't know when.

19. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I had to wear glasses from 3 months until 11. Not for vision, but to try and correct a lazy eye. I also had 2 surgeries on them age 2 and 4, I remember the one when I was 4, because I got a Ghostbusters backpack when I woke up :D I remember waking up with everything slowly coming into focus and my grandma holding it in the background, nearly ignoring my mum and dad...

Then the doctors decided they 'might' damage my vision if they continued with the glasses.

When I was 13, I noticed when I started getting tired, the lazy eye would come back, so saw my doctor, went to Moorfields Eye hospital and they did a few tests to use botox, but then they decided against it at the end of about 6 hours of tests.

Fast forward to 23, and my distance vision was going bad in my right eye, and I got myself tested for glasses and I've been wearing them ever since.

I would love to get lasik though, I really hate glasses, but wear them just about all of the time now.

Also, my brain refuses to work with 3D TV. So I'm stuck with regular TV...

20. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

when i was 17 my eyes were killer. im 26 and its noticeably worse. my mom said when her vision went bad she didnt notice till she had her eyes checked and put glasses on. she had no idea. i see my vision heading down the toilet day by day. its a bummer.

21. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I got a pair of glasses in the 3rd grade but never wore them. Now at 57 I don't need glasses to see anything over 2 feet away. I use them sometimes to read books with, and my near vision (which used to be able to focus as close as 2 inches from my face) now focuses about 1 foot away. I have astigmatism and what the eye doctor told me is that people with that can have very stable vision over the years which has been my case. I think the argument that glasses help or hurt your vision is individual and on a case by case.

22. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I'm 57 now so I'll tell you a story... when I was 18 I worked in a factory with a man who was 62. He wore coke glasses. I asked him if the job we were doing had ruined his eyes. He said no... wait till you are 42 and your eyes change. I never forgot what he said... and sure enough... I hit 42 and my near vision starts to move away. From 2-3 inches out to a foot.

23. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

26? I don't think that's the normal age for eyes to deteriorate, at least I hope not.

That sounds more likely. I'll remember your words, random stranger ;)

24. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

25. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

On the plus side, my prescription has stabilised and I've not needed stronger lenses on my last few visits to the opticians.