Does your watch attract a LOT of attention?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by docprego, May 7, 2015.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Where I work, I have the only Apple Watch among approximately 60 employees and over 1000 young people. Everyday multiple people of all ages approach me and ask, "is that the iWatch?"

After correcting them that it's an Apple Watch, they almost always ask the same few questions:

1. How do you like it?
    2. How much was it?
    3. What does it do?

I don't mind the attention at all, but just wondering, are you experiencing similar curiosity?

2. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

nobody notices mine... first notice was yesterday when I used Apple Pay at the grocery store. The clerk was like oh that's cool! Tonight at Target the register girl saw me checking my Activity app and asked if it was the Apple Watch.

She did ask me how much it was. I told her $400 and she said "Oh... that's not so bad".

They must make bank at Target. :p

3. macAllen macrumors 6502

macAllen

I work both in the fashion industry and the health care field...

When I had my Sport Space Gray people barely noticed it, it was only a few coworkers (health and fashion) that know I'm a techie, knew that I was going to get it. Some of my clients (Fashion) notice but didn't say anything.

Then I got my SS and the questions poured in. Majority of my clients noticed my SS watch. When showing product I some how activate the screen and they asked me if it was the Watch.

They mostly ask is it worth it, and give state that its really small (I have the 38mm) but then retract and say but it looks "Exquisite" on me.

Im happy that I got the SS, it fits me well. Coming from wearing Skagens, Daniel Wellingtons, Weekender Timexs then going to the Original Pebble, I finally have best of both worlds of having a dressy "smart" watch.

4. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I also work in healthcare. First week in the hospital with the SG sports no one even noticed (and the few I showed it to thought it was a fitbit or similar fitness trackers initially, liked the design but wasn't blown away).

It wasn't until I got the SS with WSB the following week (sold the SG to my brother) that people started noticing and asking questions. Mainly comments on how surprisingly fashionable it looked, especially impressed by the SS sheen and how it made it look like a "proper watch". They also were surprised by how small it actually was in person and not as "nerdy" as they thought it would look (I have the 42mm).

So far I haven't come across anyone else with it yet tho...hopefully more will get theirs soon!

5. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Absolutely nobody (outside of my family) has noticed. I'm okay with that.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

My typical answers...
    1. I love it
    2. $19,000
    3. Tells the time

7. macAllen macrumors 6502

macAllen

This.
    Im going to use this!

8. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

The hulk flavored sport watch attracts ALOT of attention.
    It's really the band, then people notice the actual watch.
    Wonder if this ss apples plan all along #

9. Banich2 macrumors regular

Compared to the first iPod, $400 is pretty cheap

10. Fwingonga macrumors member

I've had mine since Monday and nobody has spotted mine by themselves yet (SG Sport 38mm)... But I should add that so far in public I haven't really been doing much with it, and at work I kept showing it to people before they got a chance to notice it themselves!

11. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Well, $400 was the price of the first iPod, but of course you're getting vastly different (and better) functionality with the watch.

12. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Yes, I do.

Loads of people in work have quized me about it. Some shop clerks have asked too.

13. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I've had mine since day 1. My friends expected to see it. Most strangers do not seem to notice it but I do not try to flash it on purpose. I tried unsuccessfully to use it at Home Depot for apple pay and the guy gasped "Is that the Apple Watch?" I just smiled and said yes. No stranger has had the nerve to ask me to show it off.

Of course, that is with the SS and Classic Buckle which is VERY tasteful. Tomorrow my s(lime) green band arrives. I THINK more people will notice that one. It is for work and the gym.

I have not seen ANY others yet. Next week I get to fly first class from Kauai to Berlin. Will wear the Classic Leather for the flight and around Berlin. I cannot wait to try the Link bracelet there to see if I want to order one once I get home. I will be using City Mapper in New York, Berlin, and Paris to help navigate the transit.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Had since 24th, some friends asked a few questions , generally nobody else cares. If it comes up in a discussion people don't see see the point of it , given the price.

15. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Eh... I disagree... I mean if you compare Apples to Apples (38mm 8gb Sport Watch VS 5gb HDD Scroll Wheel directly), yeah it's a "better deal" if they both came out today.

But there is nearly a 15 year gap of technology in between. For essentially the same point of entry price ($350 vs $399) You get 8gb of storage on the Watch but a 5gb HDD back in 2001 when storage cost a LOT more even spinning drives. You have to remember that back then a 5gb HDD is equivalent to to a 4tb HDD now. Also mp3 players back then had very small storage capacity and the iPod was probably only the 2nd or 3rd HDD based mp3 player released (I have one of the first; the Treo10, still and it works, barely). While the Apple Watch is something like the 10th smartwatch and not even the first to have native music playback (Moto has that honor)

I'd say that they are pretty much dead even given inflation and evolution of technology with maybe a slight edge going toward the iPod because of how influential the device became to the industry. As much as I like the Apple Watch, I don't think it is the game changing device the iPod, iPhone and iPad have been. It's a niche device looking for a need to fill, while the other devices were actually filling the needs of people. My opinion on the matter tho.

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I do get one or two people every day. Only one has asked me how much it was though. Most people want to see the screen, ask me how I like it, and one squealed when she saw me use Apple Pay at our coke machine. LOL

17. banyanjd macrumors newbie

My answer is, "it's just like texting". It's hard to explain until you have it.

18. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

I only wear my apple watch out in public once I hard no one noticed it at all.

19. leenak macrumors 68020

20. roblin macrumors regular

In well lit environments not really. In a room with curtains and lights turned off with a presentation going on the projector. Damn sure! My Watch was shining up the entire room and lots of heads turned :)