Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Does your watch (series 4) also make static noise?

lsrggr

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
Munich
Just to keep the confusion going,
I did the same yesterday and found only 1 out of 5 in the store that made noise ;)

Comment

Hedberg

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2016
I did the same yesterday and found only 1 out of 5 in the store that made noise ;)

Well, I think that we can confirm that it is a pretty widespread “problem” though, since you found it on another watch as well! :) This leads me to believe that you have a fair chance of getting a watch with the exact same problem if you replace it!

The noise is only noticeable while the screen is on and the watch is pressed against the ear so shouldn’t be a problem in our daily lifes, since this is a pretty awkward position ;)

Reactions: lsrggr
Comment

lsrggr

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
Munich
Well, I think that we can confirm that it is a pretty widespread “problem” though, since you found it on another watch as well! :) This leads me to believe that you have a fair chance of getting a watch with the exact same problem if you replace it!

The noise is only noticeable while the screen is on and the watch is pressed against the ear so shouldn’t be a problem in our daily lifes, since this is a pretty awkward position ;)

Have fun with your watch, then! :)
I'll be keeping mine, too, for now.

Still having serious problems with LTE, though.
Tested during an outdoor walk today: low LTE coverage (1 dot), drains 1-2% per MINUTE. Watch battery lasted exactly one hour in total, starting from full. Without doing anything on the watch, no workout, just checking the battery every fife minutes or so.

With my iPhone connected, it drains like 2-3% percent per hour, which is not great, but OK I guess.

Comment

Hedberg

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2016

Tested during an outdoor walk today: low LTE coverage (1 dot), drains 1-2% per MINUTE. Watch battery lasted exactly one hour in total, starting from full. Without doing anything on the watch, no workout, just checking the battery every fife minutes or so.

With my iPhone connected, it drains like 2-3% percent per hour, which is not great, but OK I guess.

Wow that sounds like a serious problem though - my battery life became much better with 5.0.1

Comment

jamets515

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Gloucester, UK
Does anyone have a previous gen to check? I upgraded from an S0 and I already gave that away to a family member so can't compare.

Just as a side note, having worked with PC hardware for a few decades, cap squeal doesn't alarm me, so not looking to get a replacement. I've never noticed a component fail on me due to a slightly mis-aligned capacitor and if it is a 'widespread issue' then I don't really care - QA would probably have picked up on this and decided it was within manufacturing tolerance. It was good to get the Zoom mic out and play with Audacity filters again though, I think the audio of the squeal came out pretty well.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

How could you possibly hear the static noise in a louder environment in an Apple store? Most are hearing this noise in a quiet environment. Unless you’re being facetious, I doubt your post.
[doublepost=1538525993][/doublepost]
Does anyone have a previous gen to check? I upgraded from an S0 and I already gave that away to a family member so can't compare..

The Series 2/3 never Emanated this noise from my experience and I don’t recall ever a thread being raised on this topic.

Comment

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I'm sorry to everyone who's OCD. maybe i shouldn't have started this thread :(

Comment

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007

Your battery shouldn’t be dropping that fast with LTE. Unless you’re streaming or running GPS/ workout.

Comment

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Does anyone have a previous gen to check? I upgraded from an S0 and I already gave that away to a family member so can't compare.

I do! I just checked my Series 2 and it does it as well :D Haha. I can only hear it if I put it up against my ear, which I've never done before and so had never noticed it. So I'd say this is expected and just part of the design, but perhaps some individual units are louder than others. Considering I can only hear it when I literally hold it up against my ear, I don't think it's something to worry about.

Edit: Also checked a Series 0 and it does it as well, but even quieter than the Series 2. So I'd say this is pretty usual, and I can't hear it unless I'm holding it on my ear, so not an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hedberg
Comment

lsrggr

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
Munich
How could you possibly hear the static noise in a louder environment in an Apple store? Most are hearing this noise in a quiet environment. Unless you’re being facetious, I doubt your post.
[doublepost=1538525993][/doublepost]

The Series 2/3 never Emanated this noise from my experience and I don’t recall ever a thread being raised on this topic.

No, I am actually serious ...
Also the store employee could hear it on mine and one of the others. It is that loud.
Same as @Hedberg 's experience, I guess.
[doublepost=1538547034][/doublepost]
Your battery shouldn’t be dropping that fast with LTE. Unless you’re streaming or running GPS/ workout.

Yes, I guess so. :(
Probably, at one point when they have exchange stock available, I will contact apple.

Reactions: Hedberg
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Also the store employee could hear it on mine and one of the others.

I wasn’t sure if you were being genuine or not. My theory is exactly what it sounds like, coil whine. That said, I really don’t think this is an issue, I think it’s more or less if it’s perceived by somebody that notices this and do they decide to do anything about it, given that it really doesn’t affect the performance of the Apple Watch or any other functionality. If you take in the consideration the hundreds of thousands of Apple Watches that Apple already sold for the Series 4, *how* many actually are noticing this? My guess is not many, because you have a select few members on a tech forum who are more particular about certain things than the majority of consumers are.

Not that there’s anything wrong with discussing this, because it is interesting, but I certainly wouldn’t return a perfectly good working Apple Watch just because it emanates a noise. As someone else alluded to, it appears the sound is variable through other Apple Watch models as well. Allegedly, when someone does hear this noise, it’s a matter of how badly it annoys them to the point where they can’t stop _Un-noticing_ the noise.

Last edited:
Comment

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Also the store employee could hear it on mine and one of the others. It is that loud.
Same as @Hedberg 's experience, I guess.
[doublepost=1538547034][/doublepost]

Yes, I guess so. :(
Probably, at one point when they have exchange stock available, I will contact apple.
You should setup up an exchange now so you aren’t charged for it. They should have exchange stock available in the stores. They usually keep some aside just for that reason.

Comment

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
You should setup up an exchange now so you aren’t charged for it. They should have exchange stock available in the stores. They usually keep some aside just for that reason.
I am not sure they have any exchange stock. My watch went back last Wednesday with a fault and I am not due a 'priority' replacement until the 25th october

Comment

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I am not sure they have any exchange stock. My watch went back last Wednesday with a fault and I am not due a 'priority' replacement until the 25th october
If you shipped it to them that’s another story. I was talking about the retail stores.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Did you call them? Usually they have replacement stock in store even if they are sold out of stock to buy?

You bring up an interesting point, I wonder if Apple even has replacement watches available right now due to the constraints, more or less, the stainless model which is really difficult to find right now. I just would imagine they would replace it with a new unit being they likely don’t have any replacement watches Available.

Comment

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
It's definitely some sort of cap squeal. The frequency increases with screen brightness - lower brightness, lower frequency.
Unlikely. The power circuitry is all embedded onto the S4 module, so encased in polymer resin and therefore locked down pretty firmly. Besides, this device is extremely low power draw, I doubt there's any way anything could squeal at such low wattage.

Rather I'd say the sound is emanating from the speaker, due either to the speaker voice coil itself acting as an antenna picking up EMI, or else the audio circuits/amplifier is, then transmitting it to the speaker.

You should setup up an exchange now so you aren’t charged for it.
Ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with the bloody thing. Some audio interference is to be expected in a device so tightly integrated as this (especially as it contains not just a lot of electronics, but also multiple radio transcievers), and when it is of such low volume you have to hold the watch up by your ear to even hear it then that simply becomes even more obvious that it's harmless.

Interference in electronic gadgets is normal, and pretty much unavoidable (unless very careful steps and measures are taken); read the FCC statement found in the manual of just about any electronics. Replace the watch and you'll waste natural resources for no reason and likely get another watch with exactly the same "problem". Expecting a dead silent speaker even when held up to the ear is unrealistic, chances are it would be prohibitively complicated or expensive insulating the audio subsystem to the point it emits zero EMI noise. That you only hear it if practically cramming the device into your ear is just simply good enough.

So cut out this apple-fan nonsense.

Comment

lsrggr

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
Munich
Unlikely. The power circuitry is all embedded onto the S4 module, so encased in polymer resin and therefore locked down pretty firmly. Besides, this device is extremely low power draw, I doubt there's any way anything could squeal at such low wattage.

Rather I'd say the sound is emanating from the speaker, due either to the speaker voice coil itself acting as an antenna picking up EMI, or else the audio circuits/amplifier is, then transmitting it to the speaker.

Ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with the bloody thing. Some audio interference is to be expected in a device so tightly integrated as this (especially as it contains not just a lot of electronics, but also multiple radio transcievers), and when it is of such low volume you have to hold the watch up by your ear to even hear it then that simply becomes even more obvious that it's harmless.

Interference in electronic gadgets is normal, and pretty much unavoidable (unless very careful steps and measures are taken); read the FCC statement found in the manual of just about any electronics. Replace the watch and you'll waste natural resources for no reason and likely get another watch with exactly the same "problem". Expecting a dead silent speaker even when held up to the ear is unrealistic, chances are it would be prohibitively complicated or expensive insulating the audio subsystem to the point it emits zero EMI noise. That you only hear it if practically cramming the device into your ear is just simply good enough.

Our exchange discussion was not about the noise but the battery issue mentioned before.

Comment

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007

No it shouldn’t be making noise loud enough to hear. We aren’t talking about cramming the watch deep inside ones ear. If it’s making static noise loud enough to hear then something is wrong.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.