Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fans of Domino's pizza will gain access to a collection of new mobile ordering advantages thanks to the pizza chain's partnership with automation platform If This Then That, known as IFTTT. With the addition of new Domino's "Applets," anyone ordering a pizza from the restaurant who owns a few connected smart home products -- like Philips Hue -- will be able to receive notifications about their order update in interesting new ways.

As the first restaurant brand to join IFTTT and create an Applet, Domino's has listed a few useful IFTTT commands of its own to celebrate the partnership. One of the most notable Applets sends a signal to a user's Philips Hue bulbs, changing the lighting color at various intervals of the order's progress, like switching over to blue when the pizza has been placed in the oven.

dominos-ifttt.jpg

Other Applets will turn off a Rachio Smart Sprinkler system when the Domino's order is out for delivery, preventing potential mishaps for the delivery person, and even activate a Samsung POWERbot vacuum when the order is being prepped to clean up the house before guests arrive.
"We understand how much people love using Domino's Tracker, not only to know where their order is in the preparation and delivery process, but also to plan around that much-anticipated pizza arrival," said Dennis Maloney, Domino's senior vice president - chief digital officer.

"And now we're empowering customers to unleash their imagination as they create new ways to integrate some of our favorite innovations, like Domino's Tracker, into their everyday lives. Thanks to the endless possibilities of IFTTT Applets, customers will be more connected than ever."
To sync up IFTTT and Domino's Tracker Applets, users can download the IFTTT app on iOS [Direct Link] or Android devices. Although Domino's Applets are limited on the restaurant's IFTTT page, users will be able to create any number of commands on the automation app platform, including text message-based alerts about orders.

Article Link: Domino's and IFTTT Integrate Pizza Orders With Philips Hue, Smart Sprinklers, and More

Singin Hobo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Still not a big fan of Dominos, though it's a much improved product since they overhauled it a few years ago. We order it every now and then because the kids like their cinnamon bread, and they have the absolute best app. I wish eating their pizza were as enjoyable as ordering it—the tracker is kind of fun and I might actually apply the hue recipe to my IFTTT for those times when we end up ordering.

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
PizzaHut is not being as competitive as Domino's does however, their pizzas are better, softer, tastier.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I thought IFTTT was interesting when it came out and set up a few workflows within it. In the years since though I haven't found any killer use case for it. There are probably a couple still running somewhere that never get input anymore or go to other services I've since abandoned, it hasn't affected me enough to notice though.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Call this gimmicky or whatever suits your fancy, but this is pretty cool. Actually, @dwaltwhit said it best:
I was skeptical of this article from the headline, but you know what? This sounds like it could be fun. Not everything has to be super serious. It's a pizza.
[doublepost=1493653628][/doublepost]
PizzaHut and Domino's is what people consider "good" pizza? Sorry guys thats just pitiful.
PizzaHut is pretty darn good, even by "good" pizza standards.

And I've had "good" pizza from the non-chain restaurants so I know what you're talking about. :)

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The Galactic Encyclopedia 3578 Edition - History of Humankind - Part 583(b): 2017 and Beyond.

Around this time, humans said technology would be used to solve global warming, end poverty and promote a more peaceful, equal and stable world. But first of all they had to sort out blinking lights that told them how their pizza orders were doing. This, by itself, did not significantly contribute to the following disasters that befell Earth in the years to come, but many scholars now point to such examples as symbolic of the supremely interesting priorities humans chose to invest time, money and effort in during this era.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
PizzaHut is pretty darn good, even by "good" pizza standards.

And I've had "good" pizza from the non-chain restaurants so I know what you're talking about. :)

I hope the smiley means you were joking about everything you wrote.

Mike

Reactions: v0lume4

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Not the case, Mike.

Please tell me where I can find this mythical pizza you speak of. Totally serious. I gotta know.
Just about any place in the New York metropolitan area that sells by-the-slice including most of Long Island, and northern New Jersey (though I am being a bit generous by including New Jersey). If you want thick crust you buy Sicilian style. But none of it is baked on a conveyor belt.

Mike

Reactions: riverfreak

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Putting on the sprinklers when the pizza delivery guy enters the front garden. This might just well compensate for its taste.

Yes, agreed, they're eatable, fills your stomach and won't kill you. But please don't claim these chains' produce are actual good pizzas.

Reactions: Kabeyun

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
Alot of anti pizza delivery chain snobbery here. Perspective: it's food that you are paying a stranger to bring to your house so you can eat it. if you want "gourmet" "authentic" pizza, eschew the conveniences, get in your car, and drive to a pizza restaurant.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
PizzaHut is not being as competitive as Domino's does however, their pizzas are better, softer, tastier.
They're both terrible chain pizza places.

Alot of anti pizza delivery chain snobbery here. Perspective: it's food that you are paying a stranger to bring to your house so you can eat it. if you want "gourmet" "authentic" pizza, eschew the conveniences, get in your car, and drive to a pizza restaurant.
There are good pizza places that deliver, Dominos just isn't one of them.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Just about any place in the New York metropolitan area that sells by-the-slice including most of Long Island, and northern New Jersey (though I am being a bit generous by including New Jersey). If you want thick crust you buy Sicilian style. But none of it is baked on a conveyor belt.

Mike
Really? Perhaps I've just been to all the wrong places. I've had pizza in NYC a few times now, all of which were "okay." Good stuff, but only "okay."

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I thought IFTTT was interesting when it came out and set up a few workflows within it. In the years since though I haven't found any killer use case for it. There are probably a couple still running somewhere that never get input anymore or go to other services I've since abandoned, it hasn't affected me enough to notice though.
The only thing I am using the service for currently is Hue lights. I want two of my lights on before sunset when it starts to get dark in the house. HomeKit will only allow sunset exactly. So, I told IFTTT I live about 600 miles east of where I am so "sunset" would be @45 minutes prior to my real sunset. I lose all other weather related features like storm warnings through the service but its a compromise. Maybe Apple will add offset in the future.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon

Mike
Rosa's. Oyster Bay. Their Grandma's Sicilian is the best.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
I studied something like this at Uni. It was a module on ambient computing.

The idea was that, in the modern age, we're so bombarded by information that we don't have the time or capacity to take it all in literal form. Ambient computing allows for information to be conveyed to a user using methods like this. Or the weather being conveyed by the scene in a "picture" on the wall changing.

This might be a pretty inconsequential feature for Dominos and IFTTT but the direction of travel is interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.