Donald Trump Calls for Apple Boycott While Tweeting With an iPhone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Donald Trump, a leading Republican candidate in the 2016 U.S. presidential elections, has called for a boycott of Apple until it complies with a court order to unlock an iPhone 5c used by shooter Syed Farook in the 2015 San Bernardino attacks, according to Reuters.
    Trump's statement is ironic given that his latest tweets on his personal Twitter account were shared from an iPhone. Trump's comments come just two days after he criticized Apple for opposing a court order to unlock an iPhone as part of an ongoing FBI investigation into the attacks, saying "who do they think they are?"
    Apple published an open letter on Wednesday stating that the company will oppose an order from a U.S. federal judge that demands the company create a new version of iOS that circumvents several important security features, allowing access to Farook's smartphone data to assist the FBI's investigation.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said that while the company is "shocked and outraged" by the San Bernardino attacks last December, and presumes "the FBI's intentions are good," the company strongly believes that building a "backdoor" for U.S. government or law enforcement would be "too dangerous to create."

The U.S. Department of Justice has since called Apple's privacy stance a "marketing strategy," according to The New York Times. In a court document, federal attorneys deny claims that Apple would be creating a "backdoor" for the FBI, and the department demands that the court force Apple to assist the FBI in unlocking Farook's iPhone.

Update: Trump has shared a follow-up tweet claiming he uses "both iPhone and Samsung," but he insists that he'll "only be using Samsung" until Apple complies with a court order in the FBI's investigation. His latest tweets have come from Android and the web.
    Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Donald Trump Calls for Apple Boycott While Tweeting With an iPhone

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

3. locust76 macrumors 6502a

4. Crosscreek, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I have seen him tweet from Android too. But at least the Android people and Apple haters will be behind him.

This just showed up:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Boycott all Apple products until such time as Apple gives cellphone info to authorities regarding radical Islamic terrorist couple from Cal

4:38pm · 19 Feb 2016 · Twitter for Android

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Donald Trump says something dumb. Why am I not surprised?

Apple should not open the phone.

6. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

He's essentially vocalizing via his wazoo aperture.

7. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Maybe like "yeezy", Trump is low on cash and cannot spring for a new phone?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's impressive, I didn't know they taught orangutans how to tweet.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

That's it. Taking MacRumors off my ad-block whitelist.

10. Someyoungguy macrumors regular

It would be sweet if Tim were to crack Trump's phone now and anonymously spread something private.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This issue -- Apple's stand for privacy vs. the government's demands for back doors -- is all over the news at the moment, not just at MacRumors. Will this call for a boycott be forgotten as soon as there's another attention getting news story that the political candidates jump on? I wonder how big an effect this call for a boycott will have after a few more news cycles.

12. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

The EU really needs to pull together and offer political asylum to anyone who voted for Sanders if this idiot becomes the US's next President.

13. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

"It just occurred to me" should be his main campaign motto.

14. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

Trump has the media wrapped around his finger.

15. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

One might think that it coming on a Friday afternoon, late - the typical news cycle would see it over with by Monday... but, the media being what it has of late with anything The Don does - they'll keep it alive much longer than necessary.

16. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I bet that Trump enjoys his iPhone and likes Apple in general. He just does this to promote his work with the FBI on the matter.

17. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

I don't blame Trump. He can't help himself. Who I do blame are all the insane people who back him up.

18. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

I'm learning a lot from Donald Trump during this campaign. What I've learned most of all is that the general populous is now so used to the American Idol/X Factor/America's Next Top Model way of doing things, that infamy itself is more important than depth. E.g. The winner of any public contest won't be the candidate that says the best things, it'll be the one who's heard the most.

And in Trump's case I'm convinced he purposely says controversial things just for the publicity.

19. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Well hell Trump, if anyone used common sense you would be mopping floors in a KFC. I'm all in.

20. freepomme macrumors 6502a

Well, if you're tweeting from an iPhone, you're not doing a boycott right.

21. brendu macrumors 68020

The media only care about money and trump gets them a lot of attention which gets them more money. They all likely hate him but they can't stand the thought of not reaping the rewards of reporting on him.

22. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Ha! The only people that will do what come out of Trump's mouth are his supporters. And even then, Apple products are so integrated into our lives that this won't work! Lets boycott Apple! Oh wait, they revolutionalized the multitouch display! Looks like we can use any modern day touch screen smart phones!

23. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

What a clown! Not even the Android people will follow his boycott. :D