Done with MacBooks - Any good Windows replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wrathard, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Wrathard macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

After today's event I'm finally done with the macbooks. I know I'm not the only one that feels disappointed so I might just jump ship now while I can.

Do any of you guys know of any high end MBP-like laptop that's not the Dell XPS? I'm looking for options at the moment.

Thanks!

2. fs454 macrumors 68000

That Razer Blade 17" is a great option, it's got an i7-6770HQ and a GTX 1080 in a very similarly proportioned chassis. It's also black.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/razer-blade-pro-2016

Also, 4K IPS display that's a capacitive touchscreen. If only, Apple.

3. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

4. barjam macrumors 6502

Honestly I really don't think there is anything comparable. You can get the same specs but I have never had luck with windows laptops (20 year windows laptop user here). Good luck though.

5. jonobin macrumors 6502

6. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

MSI GS63VR also is solid and has proper cooling (2 fans) just for the GPU, a GTX 1060. 15.6" and under 4 pounds. MSI support though...ditto re: Razer. I almost bought a 13" Blade and canceled the order. Support looks to be rough (I can't even select the 2 year warranty on the site when ordering, smh) with Razer and the current new 13" is having throttling issues because it's so thin.

Don't buy a Dell 15" XPS yet, it'll be refreshed in a few months with new CPUs just like the 13" just was refreshed.

7. Kendo macrumors 68000

If you're disappointed in the MacBook, you're gonna be even more disappointed in the alternatives. It's like being disappointed in the hottest girl in the room, only to realize all the others are butt ugly.

8. LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

This! also the Razer Blade 14 is still a beast too! with a full desktop version of the Nvidia GTX 1060!

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

If that wasn't enough video power, you can get an external graphics card dock that accepts most desktop PCI-E cards!

I am highly debating this same problem, I am deeply disappointed in the new MacBook pro.

9. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

Well, one should only get a Mac if they want MacOS over Windows.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I think you would need to get your eyes checked, several good alternatives out there.

11. kalex macrumors 65816

Really? I use xps 13 and have zero issues with it. Works great

12. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I'm so torn right now. The price hikes (UK) really have me pissed. And yes, there are so many great windows machines out there right now. But, are the prices really that different on wider comparison? What price do you put on the eco system and software commitments. Outside of the big brands like Adobe and Office, you're likely looking at repurchase for Windows.

There is so much to take into consideration and I've got a lot to think about over the next few weeks! Ha

13. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

To those of you who are recommending Razer's laptop, how many of you have owned one? Had an issue and used their support?

Not being sarcastic or anything like that, I'm genuinely curious. Their support for peripherals is awful, and one thing I like about Apple or MS is the option to take it into a store if trouble.

14. Meever macrumors 6502a

I'm really digging the 14" Razer. Great processor, great GPU, and comes out cheaper at similar configuration.

Hell, you can get the QHD 14" Razer with the GPU dock for less than the price of the MBP.

I'm willing to pay the apple tax to run OSX. It's my preferred operating system of choice. However, I'm not sold on the touch bar and having to pay a even higher premium for it just doesn't make sense to me.

15. cube macrumors G5

If you can manage with a wimpy ultrabook just buy the Mac. PCs which are actually used give me too much trouble.

16. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

There's truth in this. None of the other PC alternatives are ever as good as the MBP build and feel.

Coworker of mine recently got one of the most high-end spec-ed XPS15. Not only is the trackpad performance still lackluster, the build is not nearly as solid or clean as MBPs. And of course, working in Windows on a daily basis has its own stress cost.

But if I absolutely HAVE TO use a Windows machine, and I'm paying for it with my own money, this would be the thing to get.

17. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

That's nonsense. Costco has the HP Envy x360, 13" Touchscreen 2 in 1 Laptop for $1199. What do you get for that price? A hell of a lot compared to a Macbook. I've touched and held this HP and it's pretty awesome. I was just waiting for the new MacBooks to come out before I made up my mind what to get. Anyway, here's what you get for $1199.

- 7th Generation i7 processor at @ 2.7ghz
    - 16 GB of Ram
    - 256 GB SSD Hard Drive
    - 13.3" Touchscreen WLED-backlit QHD+ (3200 x 1800) Display
    - Intel HD 620 Graphics
    - 1x USB 3.0 type C
    - 3x USB 3.0
    - 1x HDMI
    - 1x Mini Display Port
    - 1x Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader
    - 1x Combination Headphone-Out/Microphone-In Jack
    - all Aluminum enclosure
    - 3.15 lbs
    - two year warranty out the door

18. Kendo macrumors 68000

My point is those alternatives are either on par or not as good as the MBP. If the OP is so insulted by the MB's latest refresh, he's not gonna find something dramatically better.

19. aced411 macrumors 6502

I researched relentlessly, read countless reviews and even talked to a few former co-workers at Microsoft to find a worthy PC replacement. I ended up going with the Lenovo Yoga X1 with OLED display. Many people love the Dell XPS so I'm sure that is also a worthy choice. The Surface book seems nice but in addition to the crazy prices it took them a year just to iron out the bugs.

20. Mr_Killjoy Suspended

Mr_Killjoy

Dell XPS
    Razer Blade
    Surface Book
    Surface Pro

Personally, I'd go with one of these. Had a maxed XPS 13 for a bit and liked it. Also got it for $1200 new, which is less than even the stripped 2016 13" MBP.

For my personal needs, I've moved to an iPad Pro 12.9". It's not the same as a MBP, but my workflow has actually been improved.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not "on-par"? You have got to be joking. Build wise perhaps, spec wise? Apple lags and that bar is nothing more than a gimmick. Where is the MagSafe? That has far more potential to save you $ than a dumb touch bar for emojis.

22. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Before you even think about hardware, you need to look at the software you use and how much of it is cross platform. If a Windows version does not exist, you need to start transitioning to software and services that are available on Windows. Moving forward, try to use software that is cross platform so you don't tie yourself into a single platform again.

For example:
    You might ditch Apple Notes and move to simplenote because it runs on everything including Linux.
    No OmniFocus so switch to Todoist who provide apps for Mac/Windows/Android/iOS. And a web client for Linux.
    If you're considering Linux for some stuff, then moving from Apple Music to Spotify and iCloud/Google Drive/Onedrive to Dropbox makes sense because only Spotify and Dropbox runs on all of macOS/Windows/Linux.
    Stop using Pages and Numbers and transition your docs to MS Office if you want macOS, Windows, iOS and Android apps, or even libreoffice if you want Linux as an option on top of the others.

If you start doing much of this now before you buy a new computer, you'll get a good taste for how viable switching is. If you really loathe the cross platform alternatives to what you currently use, once you try living in these new apps, maybe you'll determine that staying macOS is the best thing for you.

23. Altis macrumors 68030

Holy smokes, that's a fine machine. 17" is the way to go, although the bezels could be smaller.

I've long argued that the trackpad should be out to the side for ergonomics.

24. David58117 macrumors 65816

Was it updated though? Microsoft released a recent update that greatly improved the trackpad. It also copied the three finger to switch desktops swipe.

Anyway, I had the XPS 13 and loved it, but ended up returning it for a surface book.

I'm selling my iPad Pro and 15" retina.

I think the build quality is excellent on both, and windows 10 is finally stable and actually nice to use.

Also - there are videos of people standing on the surface book and it being fine. If I did that to my 15" MacBook Pro - I don't have much faith it would survive.