Don't buy a current Mac Pro if all you need is speed!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bigbird, Aug 31, 2007.

1. bigbird macrumors 6502

Just read a speed test of iLife '08 apps at this URL:
    http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/firstlooks/ilife08/index.php

You'll notice that a new aluminum 24" iMac is faster than a 2.66 mac pro at iDVD and only a few seconds slower at EVERYTHING ELSE! If you have a need for a REASONABLY PRICED and fast Mac right now, get the iMac and save a bundle. If you need upgradability then wait for the updated Mac Pro. I was thinking of getting a MP off ebay or a refurb from Apple, but this clinches it. I'm waiting!

2. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

3. mkaake macrumors 65816

Well of course on single threaded applications, two machines with similar processor speeds will get similar results...

Now, throw in a serious MP aware program that the average Mac Pro user is going to use (you know, Pro apps?), and you'll see why people pony up the money for Mac Pros. Not to say that the iMac isn't a great value anyway, and still very much a potent machine that many Pros still use on a day to day basis...

4. bld44 macrumors 6502

Please!

The iMac has almost no room for expansion, either. There is a reason why most major professional users don't use iMacs in the place of a Mac Pro.

I sure as hell wouldn't.

5. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

I just spent 5 grand on my Mac Pro set up...now to edit movies on iMovie and burn some iDVD's...:rolleyes:

6. darrenemo macrumors newbie

i'm definitely feeling the love in this thread

7. 66217 Guest

:D

Obviously, if you want to run Final Cut you should have bought the $15,000 set up. How silly of you.:p j/k

Now being serious, I do think that for normal use the iMac is just as good as the Mac Pro. But not many people buy the Mac Pro only to run the normal apps. They use advanced pro apps that need the extra power that only the Mac Pro can give you.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The Mac Pro also has the option of running two 30¨ monitors which the iMac just can't compete with. Final Cut Pro needs a minimum of two hard drives to run effectively (and I'll be damned if I'm going to have shed loads of external drives).

Colour is highly recommend to run on the ATI Radeon X1900XT which is only available in the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro can have 32GBs of RAM. I could go on...

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

The new imac is fugly..... I would buy the pro for that reason alone :cool:

10. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

C'mon, sing with me! 1...2...3... All you need is love, love is all you need...

11. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

;) agree with that, much prefer the older white model even if it is fatter,

sorry new imac users :p

12. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

The New Keyboard Is An Abortion

Really.
    Plus the new keyboard is an abortion.

Is that a politically incorrect adjective? Or am I just revealing my age?

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Never heard the word used in that way but it is correct, so stuff political correctness :).

14. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Have you even tried the new keyboard? I don't get where you come off saying that. You are implying that the new keyboard is a total failure. I messed around with one at the Apple store the other day and thought it was pretty cool, not an "abortion" as you imply.

15. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Yes I Tried It On Day One

Yes I tried it the day it came out and it is impossible to use from my point of view.

16. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Tried it as well, it's like a toy. There will be lots of folks purchasing 3rd party keyboards if they start shipping that thing with the new Mac Pro. (when it is released, someday)

17. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

The use of the word 'abortion' is correct in the context you are using it MM. It was in cooomn use in the UK 10 - 15 years ago but has gone out of fashion in the meantime.

I also think the new iMac isn't so pretty, I prefer the white. I do like the keyboard though, despite the way it looks I find it very easy to type with and I reckon it will look pretty good on my desktop next to my ACD.

Hmm, I see from your signature that you bought a Mac Pro in the meantime...

18. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

19. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Or 4... or more if you have enough cards.

20. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Couldn't Resist An Excellent Bargain

Yes couldn't resist a very low price for a previously owned since June 12 MP loaded with 5GB of RAM, 139GB 10k Raptor, pair of WD 500's, the WD 250 it came with and a 23" ACDHD for only $2,700. But still plan to buy the 8 core Harpertown as soon as it's for sale.

Using both the Quad G5 and the MP at the same time is great. I have them each operational at each side of a corner desk so their keyboards are only about 3 feet apart 90° to each other. Quad left with portrait 20" left of 30" and MP right with 24" and 40" HDTV to the right. Lovely.

21. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Your setup sounds great. My DP 500 is chugging along. I tried to watch a 1080P movie on it the other day... Ha.

22. smurfy macrumors member

Try running all Final Cut Studio apps, and Aperture, and Pro Tools on an iMac. Not so great.

23. iBeard macrumors regular

Thats why i'm thinking about just buying up a bunch of the "old" keyboards, so that I'll always have one once they are replaced by these newfangled keyboards.

24. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I dont understand why people even post to these kinds of threads.

the OP has less than 5 posts to his name.

Who comes onto MR just to give some cocka-mamey (sp?) theory as to what you should be buying because of X, Y or Z.

Gimme a break. :D

25. overcast macrumors 6502a

They are the same people claiming to run Bioshock "flawlessly" on their iMacs @ 640x480 with every graphical option set to off. GUYS IT RUNS AT 60FPS JUST LIKE YOURS!