Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I dont understand why people even post to these kinds of threads.

the OP has less than 5 posts to his name.

Who comes onto MR just to give some cocka-mamey (sp?) theory as to what you should be buying because of X, Y or Z.

Gimme a break. :D

They could be old users of various other forums and just recently joined this one.

Don't focus on the number of posts they have but rather on what they post.

The fact is that for the everyday user, the new iMac is a great deal.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
They could be old users of various other forums and just recently joined this one.

Don't focus on the number of posts they have but rather on what they post.

The fact is that for the everyday user, the new iMac is a great deal.

starting your life on MR by posting stuff that is uninformed is just bad.

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
IGH, MN
Just read a speed test of iLife '08 apps at this URL:
http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/firstlooks/ilife08/index.php

You'll notice that a new aluminum 24" iMac is faster than a 2.66 Mac Pro at iDVD and only a few seconds slower at EVERYTHING ELSE! If you have a need for a REASONABLY PRICED and fast Mac right now, get the iMac and save a bundle. If you need upgradability then wait for the updated Mac Pro. I was thinking of getting a MP off ebay or a refurb from Apple, but this clinches it. I'm waiting!

ROFLMAO!!!
*gasp for breath*
ROFLMAO!!!
*gasp for more breath*

Ok, i'm over it...

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
The iMac just doesn't have any expandability, you are stuck with that single configuration.

I have slowly expanded my Mac Pro to over 2 terabytes. Each hard drive bay has been taken up.

I still have room for ram since I only have 3 gigs, and in the future I can upgrade to a new video card if they ever come out with another one for the Mac Pro.

And if Quad Xeons aren't enough for you speed demons, you can stick an Octo in there.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
There's a typo in this thread title...it should read...

"Don't buy a current Mac Pro if all you need is iLife and similar unthreaded consumer apps!"

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah...

Really.Plus the new keyboard is an abortion.

Is that a politically incorrect adjective? Or am I just revealing my age?

I think the word you might be thinking of would be "abomination".

Abortion sounds kinda funny though.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I read that article too.....

But as others already said, it only really proves that the new iMac is a great value for a *home* user, wanting a system that's fast for typical home/office applications.

If you're into a lot of computer gaming, you want the Mac Pro because of better video card options like the Radeon X1900XT with 512MB of video memory. A Mac Pro, configured this way, will soundly outperform any iMac at 3D gaming. (I can boot into Windows XP on my Mac Pro and play Bioshock with all detail levels at high/maximum, on my 24" display using the native 1920x1200 resolution,and it's very playable. Doubt the same can be said for a 24" iMac.)

You also want a Mac Pro if you need lots of drive space. A Mac Pro makes it easy to install (and swap in/out as needed in the drive trays) as many as 4 SATA drives at a time. With 1TB SATA drives now available, that means you can have 4 terrabytes of storage in a Mac Pro without even plugging in anything external. On an iMac... not so much.

And all of this is before we even start discussing the "Pro" type apps, designed to make full use of multiple dual-core processors.

Just read a speed test of iLife '08 apps at this URL:
http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/firstlooks/ilife08/index.php

You'll notice that a new aluminum 24" iMac is faster than a 2.66 Mac Pro at iDVD and only a few seconds slower at EVERYTHING ELSE! If you have a need for a REASONABLY PRICED and fast Mac right now, get the iMac and save a bundle. If you need upgradability then wait for the updated Mac Pro. I was thinking of getting a MP off ebay or a refurb from Apple, but this clinches it. I'm waiting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.