Dont care for iPad 2? iPad 1 prices now plummeting.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zelnaga, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Anyone looking for iPad 1 now. Ive noticed today that the iPad 1 prices on ebay are dropping alot. When the next gen iPhones were announced I never saw prices drop as much. At the moment Im looking to get iPad 1 32GB. At the moment its £510 at Apple, and its going for £320 on ebay .... I cant wait to bag myself a bargain when iPad 2 is closer (or is) released.

2. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Good for you, I hope you enjoy your old, used tech. I'll just give my old iPad to a family member and will bag a new, improved, lighter, slimmer, faster, more feature-packed iPad 2 when it launches. Sticking to old technology a year after it launches just to save a couple of hundred notes really isn't a priority for me. Each unto their own...thankfully.

3. Simbazz macrumors regular

Not gunna lie one little bit, I wish I had your apparent money to throw around!

I'm in exactly the same position as the OP, could spend the money on the next iPad, but waiting to see whether its justifiable.

4. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

yeah, this tablet will be out pretty quickly after the announcement i'm supposing:

— from beatweek

5. Epsilon88, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011

Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Anyway, buying a used iPad makes sense if you are the type who treats their devices roughly and feels uncomfortable with brand new, expensive equipment. I personally feel much more comfortable handling my used iPhone 3G rather than my new iPhone 4 which I lost after only 5 months.

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I doubt it

7. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

iPad 1.5? more feature backed...yeah...a camera or two.

8. Davichi macrumors 6502

iPad was so heavy to carry around. 1.5 pound is too heavy. I am almost certain next iPad will be a lot thinner and lighter.

9. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

yeah, you're probably right. i'd rather believe some far-fetched rumors than listen to logic.

10. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

11. Liberal macrumors member

Wow this thread is nasty.

Anyway, I'd consider buying a first generation iPad if:

1. The second generation iPad's specs aren't that much better than the first. I'm talkin' weight and dimensions, not so much the innards. And,

2. I can get a killer deal (probably <$350) on a like new first generation iPad.

12. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I'm happy with the one I already have.

I don't have to wait in line or snipe on eBay to hopefully catch a bargain. So I will continue to enjoy my "outdated old tech" that which this thread seems to be turning it's nose up at.

The iPad isn't a first generation iPhone folks... :rolleyes:

13. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

i just really want to know if the ipad 2 will be in other stores, like best buy, the day it's available for purchase. because if so, i may consider not ordering it online and just going to a brick and mortar store and buying it. probably not an apple store because they get crazy, but i'm sure best buy would be ok..

14. NDDL05 macrumors member

Not everyone shares your financial situation. Please don't talk down to someone trying to save a few bucks, even if it is in the pursuit of a toy. No offense, but it comes off as conceited and demeaning, whether intentional or not.

Enjoy your iPad 2

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

You must get a new TV every year too right ? Haha Jk

16. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

wow boy you need a good beatdown. did your mommy pay your allowance this month?

17. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

18. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Not quite, maybe every two or three years on average...

Sorry to disappoint, but I did give my mum some money to help her get through the month as she was off sick for a while and doesn't get sick pay.

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

Well unfortunately some of us arent in the position to spend hundreds of dollars/pounds on the newest igadget, whilst our old toys are discarded to the technology inept family members.

'Old used tech' is some peoples gold, and with a bit of creativity can be used to undertake some tasks that modern technology can anyway....

So just bear in mind, Ill be the one smirking when my 4 month old £330 pound original iPad performs all the tasks I want, whilst you've paid out £800+ for two iPads, the newest of which will offer nothing but a slightly better screen, a bit more processing power, and a rubbish couple of cameras for facetime (which no-one i know uses anyway).....

Just admit, you only want one to show your freinds anyway, if you really want to be levitated to the heights of tech god amongst your social circle, do something creative like invent an internet meme, its free, and it will probably last longer than your bit of smug self satisfaction in a white box will.

20. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Easy tiger.....you look like your driving a mac pro quad, they cost quite a few ipads.........

21. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

if iPad 2 is just double ram, facetime camera and revised weight, ill skip and wait for the 3, so far ive gone iPhone 2G, iPhone 3GS and now im waiting on the iPhone 4GS/5 , id rather skip a generation than get the slight bumps in performance apple pushes out to get people to re-purchase every year.

i see the iPad 2 being more of an iPad S than a true 2nd gen.

22. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Yes, and not one mention of it in his response. Not that he needed to mention it - Gryzor's bragging to the internet is sad enough all by itself, without being one upped by a Mac Pro quad, to boot.

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

They do indeed....... but I havent jumped to get the latest one as soon as the newest model came out, and I have no intention of replacing it any time soon. I also actually use it for what its designed for, graphics, photography etc, and i certainly dont chastise those who are running powerpc models. ;)

24. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Mac Pro is not iPad.

25. M a t t macrumors newbie

M a t t

well.. in europe we're still considering 200 £ (or €) a tad more than a few bucks.. and I think it's a fine period to snag a used ipad.. between Christmas and march 2nd...

moreover.. we have tons of "old" stuff here around and for sure we can bear to use a first gen ipad a little longer..

[typed on my ooold pb 12"..]