Don't Cry, the new MBPs are coming....the 26th

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amjustice, Feb 12, 2008.

1. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

I will admit I too was a little excited this morning that we might see new MBP's today. However, I knew deep inside that we wouldn't. Let’s face some facts here, Apple only does silent updates when they are just dropping in a new processor, often an updated clock speed. As we have seen with the iMac and the MBA, Apple is obviously in the process of redesigning their products to have a unique (Black and Aluminum) look that matches across product lines. If we are going to see the updates many of us would like to see, this is not going to come in a silent Tuesday update, it will come from a Steve note. The most likely time for a Steve note is going to be the 26th when the rumored iPhone SDK press event might happen, who knows MBPs might even be a ....one more thing.

So.... If you want any of the following, I wouldn't expect it until the 26th:
    The Likely candidates:
    -Peryn Processors
    -Magnetic Latch
    -New Keyboard (Black, like MBA)
    -Multi-Touch trackpad
    -LED Display for 17"

The Maybes:
    -Updated Graphics
    -More Memory
    -Slimmer
    -More USB Ports (This is what I am hoping for, so I added it to the list)
    -Black Aluminum (or other colors for that matter)
    -SSD BTO Option
    -Hybrid SSD HD option
    -Lighter
    -13" version
    -Anything I forgot?

So, don't get mad we didn't see new MBPs today, it is for good reason and a good sign that we may be getting a re-design. Which in my opinion is definitely something worth waiting for!

2. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Sigh. We need a stickied "anticipation" thread to reduce the clutter of new topics on this board.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yup; just keep looking at the calendar and throwing darts at the next Tuesday you find. I love these threads. :D

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

see my comments:)

5. akindy macrumors member

akindy

How about that thing intel came up with... flash on the logic board to contain the OS and make boots as fast as we all want them to be. Yeah, I want that.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i dont think you're going to see flash based booting on macs for a while, just because of the way the OS works. everything gets installed to the boot drive it would cause major problems to boot off of a smaller OS only drive

7. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I want a good design... they've been milking this Aluminum Powerbook Design for years... it's getting old!

Here's what I want...
    1. Lighter! Its heavy now... let us carry it around without pulling a muscle!
    2. Thinner would be nice. Its pretty thick, but I don't want to sacrifice performance.
    3. Black Aluminum would be awesome.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ok seriously #1 and #2 are you kidding? my girlfriends 15.4" HP feels like its twice as heave as my mbp

have you ever seen the inside of a MBP you cant stick a 2.5" HD in there if you make it any thinner and we are NOT going 1.8"

#3 i agree with that would be cool

9. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I would like to see a more robust, better built MBP 13.3" in alloy that focuses more on performance / weight / heat & build quality. And uses the newer style of apple keyboards.... everything else is just "nice extras"

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. ~5 lbs. is a good balance
    2. Want a 8800M GTX in that sub-1" laptop?
    3. Sexy

11. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

If Apple do have a MBP update in the wings, then yes, it seems likely they'd leave it until the expected SDK Keynote later this month.

12. amjustice thread starter macrumors 6502

amjustice

+1 This would look pretty cool

13. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I wonder if Apple could pull off a good looking two-tone black aluminum/silver aluminum MBP (like the iMac).

If there really is an Apple event two weeks from today, when will we get more information/rumors about it? If Ken Ray doesn't even believe the rumors... the chance must not be very good. ;)
    Chow.

14. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

The Mac Pro isn't black and aluminum.

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

How the **** is ~5 lbs heavy? :confused: But I agree. An option for the black would be cool looking. Besides, we already have a gold option.

[​IMG]

16. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Black aluminum WOULD be pretty great - perhaps similar to the black iPod Classic? :cool:

17. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

if i see any more threads about impending updates where the OP imparts some never before seen or heard super wisdom to randomly guess a date somewhere between today and 2010 I am going to go to the OP's house and turn on all their taps while they are out. I am then going to set fire to their shoes.

actually, make that any 'when can we expect updates/there's an update soon/i need an update/what do you guys think will be in the MBP update/I am a cocknosed geekboy with a tiny wang/today's the day!/store's down!/I'm going to kill myself b/w lack of updates (makes me blue)'

18. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

umm, yeah we know...thanks[​IMG]

19. amjustice thread starter macrumors 6502

amjustice

Just wait until they update the monitors, I bet they will be.

20. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

It would be interesting to see all of these improvements but I guess we really won't find out until they actually release it.

21. rsm5068 macrumors regular

I wouldn't get your hopes up guys. Colors are a marketing strategy that would be more likely to happen on the MB or MAYBE the MBA. If they went to just Black Al like on the Classic, I could maybe see it; but that doesn't strike me as a "Pro" look. I admit it would be cool to see, but it just doesn't seem practical for the MBP.

22. amjustice thread starter macrumors 6502

amjustice

what we will know is weather or not there will be an iPhone SDK keynote within the next week or so. They typically will send out invites for these at least a week in advance.

23. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I'd second that.

24. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

You forgot that the 17" MBP will very likely get LED display

25. amjustice thread starter macrumors 6502

amjustice

will add to the Orig Post