don't elude yourself with a new iPhone coming out this summer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by utneon, Feb 6, 2011.

1. utneon macrumors regular

Hello, i've been reading a lot of threads about whether it's going to be released or not an iPhone. Well from a marketeer point of view i think it's ridiculous for apple to skip 1 year of iPhone release because of competition, and thinking that apple would change this because of just 1 carrier in the usa is insanely incorrect.

However i believe there will be some sort of update, but apple has long term contracts with hardware manufacturers, so it's very unlikely we will be getting a new camera etc...

It may not be accurate, but don't expect to see a dual core processor, that's a mistake, and apple takes advantage of those mistakes other manufacturers like motorola do. The atrix 4g seems like a great phone, but that's in paper, when it's come to real usage, a phone is needed in the pocket with a good battery life, and right now, you just can't have a good battery life feeding a dual core processor in a small device like that. So, simple maths and bussiness: Not Smart to release it when battery tecnhology is not ready for it.

For personal reasons i hope the camera gets updated, but i don't have hight expectations for that to happen. I don't own an iPhone 4 now, but my girlfriend does, and i can say that the camera makes me sad :mad:

So here i am, like everyone else, waiting for the next release, it wouldn't be smart to buy an iPhone 4 now, but i'm very conscient that if i would buy an iPhone 4 now it wouldn't really make that big of difference to the new iPhone being released this year.

I hope i'm wrong :D

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Do you really think such contracts are so inflexible that Apple would agree to the exact same parts for multiple years, when it's already well-known that there are set product cycles that are shorter than this?

Yes, Apple has long-term contracts,but those contracts are to ensure that even when Apple switches to the next new model, that vendor gets first dibs on the opportunity make the next version. The contract with Foxconn, for instance, never stipulated that for 3+ years, they would be making the original iPhone and only that. But, when the 3G, 3GS and 4 came out, Foxconn was tapped each time to make them.

Individual components can also be re-used in different products. VGA cameras didn't go away, for instance, with the iPhone 4. It simply moved location, from the back to the front, and also found its way onto the Touch for FaceTime.

A good photographer can make the best of a bad camera. The reverse is never true.

That said, The iPhone 4 camera isn't that bad, actually. Once they got HDR working on it, it's the first camera on any iPhone I've been happy to use. HDR makes up for a LOT of the camera's shortcomings.

If they do upgrade the camera, I hope it's with a sensor that is decent, isn't noisy, and the HDR works at least as well as it does on this one. I'll take quality over a higher pixel count any day.

As always, if you absolutely need a phone now, then get it now.

taht said, I do have a feeling that at least half of the people tripping over themselves for a Verizon iPhone really don't need it now, and might be pretty angry at having lost their upgrade eligibility come June. And in classic fickle-Apple-user fashion, they'll blame carrier greed for it.

3. utneon thread starter macrumors regular

scaredpoet you are right, and i am not a good photographer, i just take pictures for memory recording. the pictures taken with iPhone 4 with very good light are awesome, with low light and indoor the quality is just lower than the average cameras with 5mp. a better sensor lens would be welcome. the iPhone camera oversaturates photos, and using HDR you must be careful because the object can move that hard.

anyway, as you said correctly, i don't really need it, so i will wait to see what happens :) i still have my iPod nano for listening to music. Sold out my iPod Touch 4g because i want to replace it with a iPhone in july =P

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm really wondering about your use of "elude" in the thread title....care to elaborate?

5. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Yeah. I'm not sure how I would elude myself, let alone use an iPhone to do so.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I thought they were going for "delude", but then goes on to say there will be a new phone. Curiouser and curiouser.

7. jmcarp83 macrumors newbie

lol This has been bothering me since I saw the thread and was hoping someone else would point this out!

8. utneon thread starter macrumors regular

many users out there expect a lot of upgrades and ridiculous hardware changes... i'm just giving my opinion so when the new version comes out to be no surprise...

9. Darthdingo, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I have read several tech sites say to expect the A5 dual core processor with the iPhone-next, as well as close to double the ram and memory. Those seem to be pretty solid rumors the last month or so. So I would at least expect that. Anything else who knows ?

And that iOS5 will really shake up and revise the look of the OS for the better they say.

another crazy rumor, is that Apple patten some really great new battery tech, and screen technology, allowing the phone to get even thinner, but stay charged must longer than any current smartphone.

10. utneon thread starter macrumors regular

i would love having a dual core processor, but i'm concerned how that will affect the battery life.

11. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Actually duel core is supposed to help better life, by multitasking much more efficiently, plus these new cpu's will be made on a smaller process, using less energy.

12. utneon thread starter macrumors regular

well, i hope you are right :) that would be awesome

13. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Just relax. You will be rewarded for your loyalty to GSM.

You'll even receive a new "more efficient" antenna. Discovered by chance during development for the CDMA antenna. :apple:

14. utneon thread starter macrumors regular

in europe there are no antenna issues. the network on the usa sucks, so that's not a problem for us europeans=P

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

First you say there won't be a new iPhone, then you say there will be. Who cares if Apple does the slightest change to the iPhone (lets say .. camera) ... its still a new iPhone (and people will buy it).

Also, dual core processors use less power.

No one knows the plans for next summer so its hard to say.
    Personally, I say there will be a new iPhone this year (regardless of the differences). Because I can't imagine Apple pushing iOS4 for another year, and I can't imagine them just introducing the next version of iOS without a new iPhone.

16. utneon thread starter macrumors regular

i actually thought dual core used more power. my mistake :mad:

17. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

No, look back when PCs went dual core. They were running programs quicker with less lag, but consumed less power than the big single core processots that ran hotter and less efficient.

Expect the iPhone-next to come with dual cores and brand new never seen before battery tech that will blow away anything out.

And it will be out like clockwork this June/July, I would bet big time on that.

18. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

And thanks for that. There was a real shortage of opinions based totally on unfounded speculation around here. :rolleyes:

Say... what's your take on Flash coming to the iOS devices? I don't want to elude myself over that, either.

19. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

The OP is from Portugal so English is probably not his first language.

20. Kupe macrumors member

An even greater motivation to limit one's vocabulary to words one knows how to use. :)

21. utneon thread starter macrumors regular

unfotunately i'm no expert in english.

I am a web developer and web programmer. In our company we don't use flash not only because it's incompatible with some mobile devices but because even in those who can read flash the performance is terrible. It stresses out the cpu and gpu more than what's acceptable. So i don't believe it will be coming soon to ios, if not ever... It's not really necessary, but hey... techonology evolves, someday we might see it ;)