Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
That simile made no sense at all...

Please return your phone, you sound really unhappy

Please understand the concept of discussing opinions in an Internet forum and stop posting to people to just "return it". You're the gazillionth person to say that in this thread.

If you don't have any comments about the design of the phone and focused conversation, don't participate in this thread.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Please understand the concept of discussing opinions in an Internet forum and stop posting to people to just "return it". You're the gazillionth person to say that in this thread.

If you don't have any comments about the design of the phone and focused conversation, don't participate in this thread.

You complain, moan, and gripe. I offer a solution. If you no longer had the phone what would you have to complain about? You're the gazillionth person to complain about something you don't have to endure. Genius. Its like you're jury rigged or something.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I love the 16:9 ratio, it makes watching videos on this thing perfect. 16:9 is a standard ratio that should be found on anything with a screen imo.

Also, I get 30 Mbps on AT&T LTE so, needless to say I'm pretty satisfied with the phone. Maps is my only issue.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
You complain, moan, and gripe. I offer a solution. If you no longer had the phone what would you have to complain about? You're the gazillionth person to complain about something you don't have to endure. Genius. Its like you're jury rigged or something.

I do not complain, moan and gripe. That's you projecting your subjective judgement. Other people feel the EXACT SAME WAY AS ME on here. That's the validation I was looking for and got it. Before I posted, I wasn't sure if anyone would respond feeling the same way.

I wonder if now that makes sense to you.

The Internet a place for people to go to discuss something and see what others think. To you it's the oversimplified "complain! gripe! take it back!"

----------

I love the 16:9 ratio, it makes watching videos on this thing perfect. 16:9 is a standard ratio that should be found on anything with a screen imo.

Also, I get 30 Mbps on AT&T LTE so, needless to say I'm pretty satisfied with the phone. Maps is my only issue.

This is all great but it says nothing about the phone in portrait mode, which is the major use case. And this is where I'm saying the phone... the design, falls flat. Too tall and skinny.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I do not complain, moan and gripe. That's you projecting your subjective judgement. Other people feel the EXACT SAME WAY AS ME on here. That's the validation I was looking for and got it. Before I posted, I wasn't sure if anyone would respond feeling the same way.

I wonder if now that makes sense to you.

The Internet a place for people to go to discuss something and see what others think. To you it's the oversimplified "complain! gripe! take it back!"

----------

lmao. How is this not complaining? Maybe you need a dictionary. And seriously, you need validation? Why do you need someone to have the same feeling as you to feel validated? What we think should have no bearing on your decisions.

Seriously. What would you have done if nobody else in the world (or at least these forums) felt the same way as you? Would you have conformed and changed your opinion? So feeble.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm not sure how the iPhone 5 is too stall and skinny when it has the exact same screen aspect ratio as the Galaxy S3. The only difference is 4.0" vs. 4.8" screen size.

The aspect ratio is the same. Reaching to the top corner is no easier on the Galaxy S3 (harder, actually, because of the size).

The Galaxy S3 is about half a millimeter thicker than the iPhone 5 - but still thinner than the iPhone 4/4S. So how is the iPhone 5 too skinny?

FYI, I own both an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S3. And while they both have their pluses and minuses, I personally prefer the size of the iPhone 5 to the often-requiring-two-hands Galaxy S3.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I have a feeling the 5 would look and feel different with Jobs around.

I commented the same in another thread.

----------

Also, someone who gives a review should not be viewed and seen as complaining. There are always pros and cons to reviews, and it's a point of view. I could never understand why someone's perception, different from others, is seen as trolling/complaining.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Well, I hope you find a solution to your problem. Whether that be learn to like, return, compromise, or continue to voice your opinion. Bottom line, the last line in the original post summed it up to me. If you truly hate it then why in the world would you continue to use it? Have a good one

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
"Design is how something works."

Repeat that a few times and it becomes incredibly clear. You can quote specs all you want. You can talk about better cameras, slightly faster App launch times... If it doesn't feel and look good, it's a tough sell. And this is one of the first Apple products in a long time that I'm turning my nose up precisely because the device seems to have bad design. Bad design because:

1. It's too tall and skinny.
2. The edges are sharp and unfriendly.

What I think we're witnessing here is the Post-Steve Jobs era. While Tim Cook was jerking off with investors about dividends and fighting Samsung, he forgot about product management. Steve Jobs was the ultimate product manager. After reading Isaccson's bio of Jobs, the one thing I really liked in the book was the design process. How Steve would go into the design studio and not even look at what people were doing on computers. He'd just sit right down at the prototype table and feel the styrofoam designs. He'd eliminate half a dozen and set aside one or two he liked and wanted to focus on refining. And on and on the design iterations would go.

He's not around anymore. I have a feeling the 5 would look and feel different with Jobs around. A larger screen like this demands a brand new, thought from the ground up, design. And it should be wider.

First of all, don't think that Steve Jobs had nothing to do with the design of the iPhone 5. I'm sure he had plenty to do with it. Maybe he'd have tinkered with it a little, but wouldn't have looked radically different. I also highly doubt that he'd ever have wanted a wider iPhone because it would no longer be as usable single-handed.

Steve Jobs also started the fight with Google and Samsung, so don't blame Tim Cook for continuing it. So far, it's gone pretty well considering they have a big win on their side and all Google has been able to get is limited enforcement of standards-essential patents, plus an iCloud push injunction in Germany (which doesn't seem to have affected sales).

As for your specific points, after a week of use, I find the screen to be perfectly normal. It looks tall at first because we've been used to 3.5" screens for 5 years. I also don't find the edge to be too sharp. If anything, the beveled edge of the 5 feels smoother than the 4S because the glass of the 4S extended further beyond the antenna ring.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
So.... You've had every iPhone and act as if you're deeply involved in the scene yet this is your first MR post.... and it's long and hating on the i5. Ok, yeah, no one thinks your trolling.... carry on.

Regular forum users should notice the amount of complaint threads by brand new members. Android forums are laughing and sending people here to troll.

Ignore any complainers who registered in September IMHO.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You're saying the 5 is hard to use with one hand but a s3 isn't in one hand? Makes no sense. You do know the measurements of the s3 right? You can't use it with one hand. Why are you trying to say it feels better in one hand? Makes no sense
The iPhones back feels better to me than all
Glass. Still don't understand what being smoother has to do with anything...

I might be able to understand this to a point. I don't have a 5 but I have a 4S and a OG Razr that I don't use anymore. Anyway, in iOS apps always put back buttons in the top left of the screen. So me being right handed I need full screen reachability (not a word lol). In android the menu and back button are always at the bottom, I rarely had to touch the top of the screen.

Like I said I haven't use a 5 yet but it's a stretch for me using a 4S with a lifeproof case. So I could imagine the 5 being harder to use in a lot of circumstances.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
1)Yeah, right, they sell more iPhone 5 than ever

2) yet you say it's far from what Apple is truly capable of.

What's more damaging to Apple's reputation is the number of iPhone 5 arriving nicked and scratched out of the box. This QC oversight reflects poorly on them.

1a) I fully realize the stratospheric sales volume.

2a) I remain steadfast in my position. After two decades of experience with over 30 new Apple laptops, not to mention all the other "stuff" branded Apple, I am very aware of exactly what they can do.

Even during the dark days when others were predicting Apple's demise, I remained loyal, even buying hundreds more shares of their stock that I began accumulating since 1991. Stock by the way that has made me a very wealthy man. I don't share that to brag, but to illustrate my belief in Apple, and unwavering commitment.

Oh sure I get frustrated and speak the truth about my personal experience with their products, whether good or bad, I don't suck up to them. I get hated a lot on the forum for being so outspoken (which goes with the territory and doesn't bother me) about everything Apple.

But as they say, if you don't care, you cannot be passionate about anything. If you hide your true opinions then nothing good can come, since there is nothing beneficial about posts that praise Apple offering no suggestions, or requests for improvements or features.

At the end of the day I make every effort possible to provide a neutral report.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
you just want to reassurance from a few people that the 4s is better? will that make you happy?
how was the 4s innovative? that was the biggest launch letdown for most apple fans. i skipped that year because i was let down and i kept my 4.
Also sharp edges on the 5? have you looked at your 4s? what do you see?
The edges on the 5 dont have 90 degree angles. it feels better in your hand than a 4 and 4s. why are you really complaining? the screen size? it has the same aspect ratio as the s3. Do you think that phone is tall?
the phone does seem tall the first few days of owning it then you get used to it. Do you actually own the phone or you looked at them for 10 minutes at the apple store?

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
The argument for 16x9 I cannot stand hearing about is video.. Watching a movie on my 4" phone has never even crossed my mind.. So the idea of making the iphone taller to eliminate black bars for movie night seems idiotic..

Do we all not have home theater rooms with 120"+ projectors?
.. am I missing something?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The argument for 16x9 I cannot stand hearing about is video.. Watching a movie on my 4" phone has never even crossed my mind.. So the idea of making the iphone taller to eliminate black bars for movie night seems idiotic..

because you know your projector is portable and all...

i love using my 50" plasma at the gym while im doing cardio. works really well. :rolleyes:

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of the 16:9 format either but if you are that upset with it vote with your wallet and get the SIII that you like so well.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Does anyone fall for these paid PR postings? Not that complicated to identify. Long winded, properly written, consistently formatted. There are other posts on this, and other boards that follow the exact structure and format. First establishing they love apple, the problem and solution, and the suggestion that they will have to move on. On another note, as a developer, I have seen this before within industry and with other App developers.

Clue: The mention of the The Galaxy SIII and they way it is spelled properly. Writing is like a fingerprint, you need to be more sloppy, shorter and inconstant pharseing would help. Hopefully you get you $5.00

Hmmm your response is also properly written and consistently formatted, I'm not falling for it either ;) .

You do realise your response suggests that Regular MR member are illiterate.... And if someone composes a well written article, they are Fake??? Then sir, i command you on your well written post.... By your own reasoning, Apple PR post ! See what I did there

As for the topic at hand , I am waiting for my replacement 5 before deciding to keep it or getting a 64 4s to replace my 4.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Does anyone fall for these paid PR postings? Not that complicated to identify. Long winded, properly written, consistently formatted. There are other posts on this, and other boards that follow the exact structure and format. First establishing they love apple, the problem and solution, and the suggestion that they will have to move on.

With all due respect, this was the exact same format I was taught in Business Writing back in University. I don't think the format of business writing has changed since. In the company I work for, we still present the positives first in a any business letter to a client, followed by the negatives and a summation that identifies and lists what could be done to solve the issue/task at hand.

I'm not trying to strike a fuse here, just saying, that's all.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
----------

lmao. How is this not complaining? Maybe you need a dictionary. And seriously, you need validation? Why do you need someone to have the same feeling as you to feel validated? What we think should have no bearing on your decisions.

Seriously. What would you have done if nobody else in the world (or at least these forums) felt the same way as you? Would you have conformed and changed your opinion? So feeble.

I need to know if I'm crazy or if others feel the same way. Even if nobody felt the same it wouldn't change my opinion. What's happened is it's nice to know others feel the same. Either we're all crazy or our opinions are valid.

This is the Internet, get used to it.

----------

Well, I hope you find a solution to your problem. Whether that be learn to like, return, compromise, or continue to voice your opinion. Bottom line, the last line in the original post summed it up to me. If you truly hate it then why in the world would you continue to use it? Have a good one

You don't read threads do you? You and everyone else. We get it! Take it back! Read the thread and then comment. Otherwise, buzz off.

UFBoy2323

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I came to the Ip5 from the Gs3 and I couldnt be happier.nwhy do you Apple forum ppl complain so much about this phone? Its freakin beautiful and has slick usabiity. And just as fast or faster than my gs3

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
First of all, don't think that Steve Jobs had nothing to do with the design of the iPhone 5. I'm sure he had plenty to do with it. Maybe he'd have tinkered with it a little, but wouldn't have looked radically different. I also highly doubt that he'd ever have wanted a wider iPhone because it would no longer be as usable single-handed.

Steve Jobs also started the fight with Google and Samsung, so don't blame Tim Cook for continuing it. So far, it's gone pretty well considering they have a big win on their side and all Google has been able to get is limited enforcement of standards-essential patents, plus an iCloud push injunction in Germany (which doesn't seem to have affected sales).

As for your specific points, after a week of use, I find the screen to be perfectly normal. It looks tall at first because we've been used to 3.5" screens for 5 years. I also don't find the edge to be too sharp. If anything, the beveled edge of the 5 feels smoother than the 4S because the glass of the 4S extended further beyond the antenna ring.

None of use have any idea how much Jobs was involved and what the iPhone 5 would have looked like with him around.

And Steve actually tried to avoid legal action against Samsung. It was only after he was really sick and then died that the case picked up and it went to court.

----------

1a) I fully realize the stratospheric sales volume.

2a) I remain steadfast in my position. After two decades of experience with over 30 new Apple laptops, not to mention all the other "stuff" branded Apple, I am very aware of exactly what they can do.

Even during the dark days when others were predicting Apple's demise, I remained loyal, even buying hundreds more shares of their stock that I began accumulating since 1991. Stock by the way that has made me a very wealthy man. I don't share that to brag, but to illustrate my belief in Apple, and unwavering commitment.

Oh sure I get frustrated and speak the truth about my personal experience with their products, whether good or bad, I don't suck up to them. I get hated a lot on the forum for being so outspoken (which goes with the territory and doesn't bother me) about everything Apple.

But as they say, if you don't care, you cannot be passionate about anything. If you hide your true opinions then nothing good can come, since there is nothing beneficial about posts that praise Apple offering no suggestions, or requests for improvements or features.

At the end of the day I make every effort possible to provide a neutral report.

This.

----------

This.

----------

you just want to reassurance from a few people that the 4s is better? will that make you happy?
how was the 4s innovative? that was the biggest launch letdown for most apple fans. i skipped that year because i was let down and i kept my 4.
Also sharp edges on the 5? have you looked at your 4s? what do you see?
The edges on the 5 dont have 90 degree angles. it feels better in your hand than a 4 and 4s. why are you really complaining? the screen size? it has the same aspect ratio as the s3. Do you think that phone is tall?
the phone does seem tall the first few days of owning it then you get used to it. Do you actually own the phone or you looked at them for 10 minutes at the apple store?

It feels better in my hand primarily because it's smaller: less height. It fits the hand like a glove.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
None of use have any idea how much Jobs was involved and what the iPhone 5 would have looked like with him around.

And Steve actually tried to avoid legal action against Samsung. It was only after he was really sick and then died that the case picked up and it went to court.

Yes, the guy who promised to go "thermonuclear" on Android had nothing to do with it. I'm sure both Jobs and Cook tried to settle with Samsung, but on terms that were very favorable to Apple, enough so that Samsung decided to take its chances with the lawsuit.

Given the lead time for designing and setting up the supply chain, it's likely he had plenty to do with it. Apple has a two-year cycle for each design. If anything, Jobs would have pushed an even thinner design. The screen extends about 0.5mm above the antenna ring. It's that kind of detail that would have been pushed, and not some Galaxy S3-type monster screen that you seem to want.

Flexible screens aren't quite ready yet (maybe in 2014, but not 2012). The thing to remember is that Apple is rarely "first" with any technology. Plus, once a product is out, it tends to evolve. The 4 was a pretty radical design change, and I'm not surprised the basic design philosophy has remained the same since then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.