Don't like the iPhone 4, won't like the iPhone 5 - what should I do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johneaston, Apr 20, 2011.

1. johneaston macrumors regular

I know I'm not the only one that has a 3GS and decided to skip the iPhone 4. With rumours that the iPhone 5 will be the same, I'm inclined to not get that either.

I like my iPhone and, obviously, like how is syncs with my Mac, but don't like the iPhone 4 and won't like/want the iPhone 5. However, I could really do with a new phone.

If you're in the same situation, what are your plans?

(Looking forward to all the "If you don't like it, don't get it - see if we care" answers, but would really appreciate some honest suggestions).

2. Storrow macrumors regular

3. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I actually like iPhone 4. From 3GS to iPhone 4 was a huge leap forward. They updated everything.

iPhone 5 is not out or announced. Rumors are rumors.

My plan is to either buy White iphone 4 at 49-99 dollars with 2 years contract or get iPhone 5 for 199 dollars as long as it has good upgrades.

Most people are looking for LTE chip, but LTE is not still available on many many markets.

But, some people just cannot stop dreaming about somehow your phone supports LTE, it will have blasting 4G speed everywhere you go.

Btw, you are so picky and I don't like picky people. So, enjoy your 3GS while some of us enjoy iPhone 4 and iPhone 5.

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are a lot of really cool phones out there that aren't iPhones. I, for one am pretty sold on the iPhone for the forseeable future, but that doesn't mean there isn't something else out there that you would fall in love with.

I recommend going down to your carriers brick and mortar stores and play with the demo units they have. I haven't done this in a while - but I always seemed to find something I liked.

If you're hooked on the convenience of syncing that you get with your iPhone, I don't think you're going to find that with another phone.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

What don't you like about the iPhone 4? It is a great phone, though I'm looking to upgrade this year to get more than 16 GB of flash. If you like the 3GS then you should really like the 4.
    Other phones are good too. I have heard things about the Atrix 4G if you want a 4G phone. Android phones have a number of good features that are lacking in the iPhone.

7. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

I meant, assuming the iPhone 5 ends-up being a bump of the iPhone 4 (which I reckon it will be).

As for being picky, I'd actually say I'm stingy! I want a new phone but iPhones are expensive and I don't want to get the iPhone 5 (that I don't really like) only to then not be able to get the (hopefully better) iPhone 6 without buying-out the remainder of my contract at great expense.

8. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

buy an android device and wait and see what the iphone 5 will hold i do not know how you can dislike the iphone 5 since it has not been released but ok.

i know there are rumors it will be same i4 design and what not but its all rumors either switch to android now or at least wait see what the iphone 5 is.

what is it that you dislike about the iphone 4 out of curiosity

9. johneaston, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

Ok - that's worth knowing. Wasn't sure if Blackberrys, Samsungs etc. came with some sort of Mac software.

I could go on for a while here! Mainly, I don't like the way it feels in the hand; don't like how easily they seem to crack (I see so many iPhone 4's that are broken where as my 2yr old 3GS has never had a case and still looks fine); plus EVERYONE seems to have the iPhone 4.

There's also the fact that the iPhone 4 (and I reckon the iPhone 5 also) doesn't solve the things I don't like about my 3GS like the lack of a file system, no wifi sync, no customisable text tones, no customisable email tones, no way of seeing if I have new emails without unlocking the phone, the physical silence switch, lack of Nokia-style 'profiles' for tones, bad call/earphone quality, alarm doesn't work if the phone is switched off, switching wifi on and off requires a larger than necessary number of menus to be navigated etc. etc.

10. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

are you in the us? i buy the new iphone every year and get it for the on contract price every year which is nice just as a side note.

i have used many android devices i love the build quality and design of the iphone 4 but sometimes get bored with ios and want to play with android i recommend the nexus S it is a great vanilla android phone. i have one i use on some days for fun when i want to play emulators. if my iphone breaks that will be my daily driver until the iphone 5.

11. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

with the android devices you can sync with a google account and set it up with your ical and address book on your mac to sync and it can all sync that wireless. app/media/and backup cannot be synced that way though there are ways of backing up your app data with appbrain but no other manufacturer offers the same fluidity as itunes/ios syncing.

12. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

13. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

You get the prize.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't see how iPhone is expensive. You can get the iPhone 4 as refurbished for 49 dollars from AT&T.

3GS was sold as low as free.

49 -99 dollars isn't expensive for smart phone. If you are trying to spend as little as possible, then go buy android. Wait... they cost 100-199 dollars as well.

Wait... smart phones usually cost that much.

15. stevemiller macrumors 68000

You do realize that pretty much everything in your second paragraph is software, which could change or stay the same totally independent of hardware refreshes?

So your device purchase concerns seem primarily related to the current build quality (which is valid enough, although i'm sure you'll find plenty of people to debate you around here :rolleyes: ), and some sort of worry over the phone's elitist vs populist stature??

16. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It sounds like much of what you dislike is more related to iOS rather than the phone itself. Who knows what iOS 5 or the builds that come after it will allow? Many people have complained about the same matters that you have. I am sure in some way or another Apple will address them accordingly, whether or not it's a direct fix for those matters will depend on the individual user.

Also, if you were seriously thinking of going Android, I would personally recommend an HTC phone. They have a brilliant user interface, generally push updates from Google in a timely manner, and have much of the same technology specs that you would find in the iPhone. Plus, with HTC Sense along with your Google account, you can sync just about everything you'll ever want right in the cloud.

17. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

With a two-year contract at as 'little' as £35 per month works out at £840. That's not free.

Absolutely correct, but the iOS comes hand-in-hand with the iPhone. And these issues have been talked about a lot and, four years on, still remain.

18. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

I could go on for a while here! Mainly, I don't like the way it feels in the hand; don't like how easily they seem to crack (I see so many iPhone 4's that are broken where as my 2yr old 3GS has never had a case and still looks fine); plus EVERYONE seems to have the iPhone 4.

I see horror stories all the time of cracking ones and what not exploding never had a single issue with mine so dont pay too much mind to that unless you abuse your phone.

There's also the fact that the iPhone 4 (and I reckon the iPhone 5 also) doesn't solve the things I don't like about my 3GS like the lack of a file system, no wifi sync, no customisable text tones, no customisable email tones, no way of seeing if I have new emails without unlocking the phone, the physical silence switch, lack of Nokia-style 'profiles' for tones, bad call/earphone quality, alarm doesn't work if the phone is switched off, switching wifi on and off requires a larger than necessary number of menus to be navigated etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

i agree that is ios's major flaw is lack of file access structures outside of apps. and i agree with you that there are some critical flaws and judging but what you are saying you want there i doubt if ios5.x will have those maybe some things like new text tones but its unlikely.

Honestly from reading what your looking for your best bet is android skip blackberry unless yo need a keyboard i wouldnt buy a webos device for a while it looks nice but they are in a huge hole compared to android/ios it will not have the app ecosystem as the others. and wp7 is basically like ios just worse it has limitations similar to ios. But android does all of what your looking for and does it well.

some people say jailbreak the iphone while i have gone this route before it is has left me with mixed feelings often ti is very stable but has been slow and laggy at times.

When going for an android device avoid samsung's (except the nexus S) as they are horridly slow to update, HTC is a love/hate brand you either love it and sense UI or hate it. Motorola has excellent build quality but their blur interface is annoying and they lockdown the phones making some harder to root and load custom roms. there are other companies but those are the big 3.

19. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

What don't you like about the iPhone 4? is it the design? Alot of people were put off by the iphone 4 look and design at first but then once they had the phone they loved it or got used to it.

I'm assuming you dont dislike the iPhone 4 because of the internal hardware or specs because they blow your current 3GS away. The screen alone is leaps and bounds better.

Anyway my point is maybe you should give the iphone 4 a shot, In my opinion its the best design so far and this is from someone who hated it when the images first came out.

But to answer your question maybe get a nice used Android phone to play around with until the iPhone 6 comes out. That way you wont screw up your upgrade eligibility.

20. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent feedback - thanks for your advice. I've always liked the look of HTCs when I've seen them, so I'll look into those to tide me over until iOS becomes a more useful OS and the iPhone becomes more desirable to me.

Thanks again.

21. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

22. BlindMellon, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

i'm with you brother! i've got a 10 month old 3GS and skipped the iphone 4 for similar reasons: i don't like the squareness (feels awful in the hand and looks horrid in a full case), it's too narrow, i was really disappointed they kept the small screen, glass back, antenna problems.

i wasn't confident that it's form factor would change this year, but with a delayed release until september and with legitimate rumors stating is will look exactly the same as the iphone 4.... well, i have no inclination to get the iphone 5 either.

i was hoping that this long delay was because they would give us something spectacular in september, not the same package with some internal upgrades.

my only real problem with the 3gs is the small screen (my eyes aren't what they used to be). retina helps, but things are still too damn small.

also, will a september release this year mean that next year's release will also be in september? very discouraging.

i'm not inclined to get a droid though. i enjoy the iphone experience and it's integration with itunes.

if i wait until i can upgrade at the discounted price (and another 2 year contract) i'll only be half way through it when the iphone 6 comes out.

another point is the iphone 5 is a mid-cycle phone. and that means that a new design will be coming in 2012. you'd be crazy to get an iphone 5 and have a new design come out in as little as 9 months (next june).

right now, i suppose i'll just hold on to my trusty 3gs, and I guess i'm not alone...

23. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Honestly I am with you, give the 3gs the retina, a5 and better camera and I think a lot of people would be thrilled.

24. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Sorry, I don't usually do/say this, but...what a ridiculous thread! You come out say you don't like the iPhone 4, and probably won't like the iPhone 5. You've made up your mind. The choices are easy, go Android, WP7, or BB. The latter is a dead-end, IMHO...

25. Maziar macrumors 6502

lol.Exactly :D