Don't like two finger scrolling on new Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fred87nc, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Fred87nc macrumors member

Problem I have, on my last generation macbook, I would rest one finger on the track pad, and just scroll with the other one, and it would scroll down the whole screen. Now with the new macbook, I actually have to scroll with both fingers for it to actually work. Also can't get used to the two button tap, I keep doing it but mistake, mostly to the huge trackpad and me resting my fingers on it.

Anyone had this similar problems? I know it's nitpicking but I miss my old trackpad.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Seems to work the same for me (previous was 2.33 MBP).

I don't really think of using 1 finger, with a second stationary, but I did just try it and it sorta works. If anything, the new glass trackpad is better at detecting false hits (probably why the single finger doesn't work).

My only complaint is the "ignore trackpad while typing". It doesn't seem as sensitive.

BUT - the one thing that overrides any nit is the glass surface. For me, at least, they hit the exact correct surface texture. It always feels silky smooth.

3. The General macrumors 601

Are you scrolling with both hands? Just put your index and middle finger from one hand on the touchpad and scroll. Your fingers can be right next to each other.

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Sometimes it works to keep one finger still and scroll with another finger. But more times than not I just end up pinching and zooming when I try that. I do find that using my index and middle finger together is a little more natural feeling. But that is probably because from day one that is how I learned to do it.

People that spent a lot of time on a PC it might feel more natural to use one finger in place (like holding down the mouse button) and scrolling with the other. Just as if they had clicked on the scroll bar on the right side of the screen and were using the other hand to control the actual scrolling.

Just a thought...

-JC-

5. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I use by middle and index. I actually like it a lot

6. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I use Middle and Ring. I turned off two finger secondary and instead turned on bottom left corner as I scroll with my right, that seems to work.

I love the 4 finger expose too.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've always disabled the two button tap on any notebook that I've owned. Try disabling this feature and see if it works any better for you.

8. pearsonownz macrumors newbie

Funny you mention that, because on every other laptop I use, I try to scroll with my 2 fingers. Just out of habit, haha.

I love that feature so much. How dare you!!!!

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

haha me too... i can't live without multi touch + expose/spaces

what great software man haha

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I love the 2 finger scrolling. I think the OP is a bit confused. Since the last generation of Powerbooks in 2005 2 finger scrolling has been implemented. It's never been set up as one finger on the trackpad and scrolling with the other.

11. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I'm new to Mac's and have a Macbook 2.4 unibody. I find myself a lot of the time zooming in on something because my right hand sometimes makes its way up to the trackpad. I don't know what I'm doing or if there's something I could/can turn off.

Does it work better just to keep "ONE" hand on the trackpad?

I also have a hard time doing a "right-click" like I would do on a PC and mouse. I don't know why but I seem to not be able to do it 100% of the time. It will usually end up taking me several times to get the menu up.

12. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I always rest my thumb on the bottom of the trackpad. Scrolling in OS X still works fine – one finger moves the cursor, two fingers scroll the whole screen.

The problem is that when I switch to Windows the driver recognizes the thumb as another finger. I'm always inadvertently scrolling the whole screen when I'm using one finger and intending to just move the cursor. It is really aggravating, to the point that with Windows the trackpad is worthless and I have to use a mouse. It seems too hard to learn a separate pattern of hand position for different OS's.

13. castanzarules macrumors member

kind of redundant but i love the two-finger scrolling. i'm not sure that i could ever live without it for that matter. in fact, i love all of the finger gestures and the glass trackpad on the unibody's

14. fpar macrumors regular

I think he means he upgraded to a multi-touch mac. On the old ones it didn't really matter where your two fingers where as long as one was moving, but on the new ones both fingers have to move parallel to each other. As far as I no, there is nothing that can be done about this.