Don't need it, can't really afford it....but WANT it.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hello.there, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

:eek: :( :) :confused: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :D :eek: :(

Sorry. My finger is hovering over the iPod Touch 'Buy Now' button on the Apple site, but:

(1) I really don't need it

(2) If I keep spending like this I'll be bust

but

(3) I really, really want it.

Sensible voice: "Don't Do It!"

Silly voice: "Go for it!"

This is agony.

Sense v Stupidity?

Which side are you voting for?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

As soon as my fiance saw the thread title pop up in forum spy he said it must be about me...

Just use your head, gadgets aren't cheap, so its always a sacrifice.

Oh yeah, and I got an iphone ;)

3. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

:D

So, you're telling me to go for it? :)

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

*Fiance gives me a look of warning*

Do what's sensible ;)

5. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Okay. ;)

(Hope it arrives soon :eek:)

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

7. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

*palpitations in chest pound loudly*

(in a 'what have I done' kind of way)

8. danny_w macrumors 601

I have an iPhone too, and got it just as the touch came out. I was wowed by the fantastic display, browsing capabilities, and (at least I thought) the iPod, all integrated into a pone. Then I found out the problems of using the iPhone as an iPod (the awkward controls, gsm noise, incompatibility with most iPod accessories, etc). Now I am back to a regular iPod as well as my iPhone. I suspect the touch to be better in this regard, but you might think about it hard (and try it in the store) before you buy. If I had it to do all over again I would not get an iPhone, and would probably not get a touch either. I just don't think a touch interface is very good for a music player, but that screen sure looks nice!

9. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

If you fly/commute a lot, buy it. If not, maybe not worth the $$$. The "wow" factor has worn off for me & it's just a (vital) conduit for watching TV & movies on the go.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yeah but if you go back to using a regular player (especially phone) you'll realize how quickly the old one's suck.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't watch tv or movies on the go so that beautiful screen on my iPhone is wasted except for web browsing. So an "old" iPod would still suit me just fine (and be much better than the iPhone IMHO). Sorry, I just don't get the "touch" advantage for an iPod.

12. mmfy macrumors regular

Well this is my 2nd iPod - first was a 2nd hand 3G 15gigger which died on me - I'm hoping my 8gigger will not due to the flash memory (advantage) and now I can watch movies when at a standstill or seated when being transported(on the go the screen is not very useful walking and using it I find). The REAL use is when it's jailbroken I might add (mail, calendar, ebook, NES etc)! But it was hard to part with the $299....

13. bluesjam macrumors member

Sounds just like gambling.

Well I'll give you the first rule of gambling for novices and you better follow it.
    Gamble only the amount you are prepared to lose.

If you spend your money now which your sensible head says no you might most probably regret it later. You have time on your side so arrange some money and bide your time and the opportunity might just come along quicker than you expect.

14. gear714 macrumors newbie

When you really want something and then get it; a vacuum is created and you will fill it by wanting something else. Better to work on this problem of wanting things.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Haha, I'd love one too. I wouldn't object if someone bought me one. But (trying to not sound like I'm repeating myself again) any thoughts of wanting one are put off when I look at the storage capacity :eek:

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

After living with a 40gb iPod for a few years I was surprised at how content I am with 16gb of space. I've got 10gb or so of albums that I listen to commonly, and then an anime series or two and a movie on there, which is plenty of content at one time for me.

17. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

You're absolutely right, there is a gambling feel to this lust for buying all things Apple. A few years back a member of my family had a gambling problem and my memories of his 'excuses' for his excesses remind me of all the reasons I'm coming up with to justify yet another purchase. :eek:

I bought my first Mac a few weeks back (ie an iMac) and I love it so much I find myself loitering in the Apple online store most days looking for another product to buy.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in this - actually, I've seen a few YouTube videos by guys who have their rooms stuffed with computer stuff (mainly Apple). A lot of their gear hasn't even been taken out of its packaging, weeks/months later, it was like the thrill was in the 'buying', but they actually had no need at all for the product.

Any way, I'm a bit embarrassed now to admit that I ordered the iPod Touch, even though I have no need for it, only a craving for it. :eek: It was a crazy purchase, and I did spend the next 24 hours asking 'what have I done?', but I've done it, there's no going back, it won't bankrupt me (despite my fretting in the original post) and I'm really looking forward to using it. The key thing, though, is to stop right here and not buy more stuff than I don't need, otherwise I will end up in financial grief.

18. evinecz macrumors newbie

evinecz

im in di same situation.. i want it.. but i cant afford it..lol

19. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Yep, I was originally thinking that I would want more storage room (for my movies). Then I realized that what I have on there (after the 10.86 GB of music) is more than I can watch in one day, so the capacity really doesn't matter to me anymore. There are just so many other things to do on it (games, internet, comics via PDF Viewer) that having 10 hours of video just seems over the top.

20. California King macrumors 65816

21. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Haha, sounded like me... I wasn't going to but I cracked and bought one and love it... From time to time I think about "Geez. $400 bucks for this thing, space price as my Xbox... just to play music" but im still glad i got it

22. LeaverX macrumors member

Same situation as you before, I brought it and couldn't be happier. Apart from the fact it just set me back $500 from my iMac.

23. supercooled macrumors 6502a

This is the single most thoughtful and succinct commentary I've read regarding compulsive buying syndrome.

You just saved me $350 (for now). Thank you.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It sounds like you bought it after all. Hopefully you paid outright for it because financing something like this is retarded.

Don't need it.
    But want it.
    Can't afford it.
    WTF I'll finance it and pay at least 10-20% more for it so I can have it now!

I was going to play the "Americans live outside their means" card but you're not from the states. ;) At least now we know it's not just "Americans" who make poor financial decisions.

25. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

But it's SHINY! That overrules all other considerations. Of course we must have these things now. WANTNEEDMUSTHAVE.