Don't need no stinkin' headphone adapter.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Now you do this ENTIRELY @ your own risk.

You could damage the headphones, iphone, yourself or any combination thereof.

Hanzo Steel not required, but reccomended.

Attachments

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
I was afraid to take a knife to my noise isolating earphones, but I over came my fear and took the big step!:eek: It was a lot easier than I thought and the end result works great and it doesn't even look like a hack job. I have Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5's.

No bris ceremony, though!:)

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
It was a very difficult procedure, and a LOT of work went into the this Aero-Space Ceritified Process.

I just wanted to make it so easy, that even Nasa could do it.

The following survived this procedure with minimal complications:

Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5EBs - success, but the rubber is glued pretty (#*$ing good, so required a bit more work.

Computer audio cable ("practice run") - success.

Sony MDR-EX90LP - success. *** To you all who love sound isolation / deep bass - these BLOW AWAY my Ultimate Ears Super Fis -- the secret is an incredibly easy / effective modification. PM me if you actually have these and are willing to operate. I'll only make my next "procedure" on demand. I need to get back to moon-landing documents now.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Now you do this ENTIRELY @ your own risk.

You could damage the headphones, iphone, yourself or any combination thereof.

Hanzo Steel not required, but reccomended.
BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ...

That reminded me of those people on Digg who post comments like this:

1. Get a knife/blade
2. Cut headphone jack
3. ???
4. Profit

Like it was said before, A++ on the visuals.

yotaguy

macrumors member
May 22, 2005
I did this the first day i got my iphone...

I cut off all of the plastic\rubber on the outside of the connector and covered it with heatshrink...works great.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Unfortunately my V-Moda earplugs are metal so no cutting can be done afaik.

hobo

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2005
Did this to my Shure E3s, work great. I miss having my button though, so I'm hacking them up and putting them on the white wires as soon as I find a new soldering iron.

Why am I doing this and refusing to cut up my E2s? What's wrong with me? Hah!

EricMD21

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007
Indiana
I just used this technique on my cheapo skull candy headphones and it worked really really well. I used an extremely dull hobby knife with no casualties. Finger nail clippers also help alot.

wrboyce

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Did this to my Shure E3s, work great. I miss having my button though, so I'm hacking them up and putting them on the white wires as soon as I find a new soldering iron.

Why am I doing this and refusing to cut up my E2s? What's wrong with me? Hah!
Let me know how this goes - I've been meaning to get around to doing it for a while, I love the mic/button on the iPhone Stock headphones, they're the first people to get it right!

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Let me know how this goes - I've been meaning to get around to doing it for a while, I love the mic/button on the iPhone Stock headphones, they're the first people to get it right!
I wish someone else would come up with a clone of this system, I don't fancy soldering my CX300 buds onto the ends of my iphone headphones cables (yet).

Either that or I might put up with better Apple buds with this feature.

Apple: there's money to be made here.

btw. I filed my Sennheiser CX300s down to fit my iPhone, despite having stumped up for the Belkin adapter.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
I soldered my UE 5Pros to my stock earbuds - works fine - but the wire used in both proved a lot more difficult to solder than I first expected. Had to dip the wires into mild Nitric acid to strip the coating before I could flow any solder.

My sony earbuds sound a lot better - so my UEs are my "work" headphones.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
You say tacocat and I say tacocat.

But they both accomplish things quite well.

My tacocat is cheaper, though. :D