Dont say Apple never copies from Microsoft

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSideshow, Jun 6, 2011.

1. TheSideshow, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

TheSideshow macrumors 6502

http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-flattered-with-apples-ios-5-windows-phone-features/

Notifications: from Android and a bit from WP7 (Years/8 months)
    Camera: Button from WP7 and above the lock screen from WP7 (8 months)
    Split keyboard: Windows 8/Windows XP tablets (Years and years)/Chrome OS tablet concepts
    Twitter: WP7 Mango
    iMessage:WP7 Mango/BBM
    Photo upload: WP7 (8 months old)
    WiFi Sync: WP7 (8 months old)

This isnt to say that Apple "stole" all these ideas. Its to point out that you shouldnt go around saying Microsoft simply steals all of Apple's ideas. Its just the nature of tech.

2. icstars989 macrumors member

Ha, good read. Although, you will get shunned and outcast around here for a post like this.

3. Branskins macrumors 65816

How would Apple be able to copy Microsoft in a matter of days to implement the split keyboard?

And didn't the jailbreak community have the pull down notifications before Android or am I wrong?

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

The camera button is completely different. Microsoft uses a dedicated physical button. On iOS, double-tap home button and press a virtual button - then use either the virtual button or volume-up key. Similar, but different. And, how else do you make a fast-camera button? (besides physical and virtual button)

And the jailbreak community had developed all of these features for iOS before Microsoft even released Windows 7 mobile.

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Microsoft has a few things to be flattered for. Let them feel good about themselves. :rolleyes: I agree about the split keyboard. Although the notification system isn't one of them, that one goes to Google. iMessage? that's RIM's.

But i'm actually glad that Apple implemented (copied) a similar type of notification system like Android's while mixing with the jailbreaker's notification system. That's was biggest thing lacking from iOS.

Yeah, actually the jailbreak community got that idea from Android

6. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

All I saw was fanboy bullcrap: THANKS APPLE FOR STEALING OUR IDEA OF A BUTTON THAT GOES TO THE CAMERA APP LOL. :confused:

7. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

8. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Corrections:
    Notifications: Android & Jailbreak app
    Camera: My old Sony Eriksson phone also did this (5 years ago).
    Split keyboard: Windows XP tablets
    Twitter: Android
    iMessage:Blackberry Messenger
    Photo upload: W7
    WiFi Sync: Android & jailbreak

Apple have taken what works and baked it into their OS. Good on them too, many of the things found on these other platforms work well and don't need re-inventing. Don't mistake where they come from though.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

mango was just announced. are you saying that apple developed all these features in this short period of time?

smh, some people.

10. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I wouldn't call adding features like Wifi Sync or better notifications to be copying. Apple is just doing what it has to do to stay competitive with some markets but Samsung blantatly copies Apple whole design and feel of the operating system and phone. Just my opinion, I may be wrong but at the end of the day no one really knows...

11. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Uh huh ... and? Everybody rips off everybody. I just watched the whole keynote and the only time I heard Apple even mention the word innovate was when Steve discussed the final 3 iCloud apps. I haven't heard ANYONE who's saying that these features weren't lacking or didn't exist on other platforms first.

However, iMessage is clearly suppose to the the iOS version of BBM not Mango. And Mango and Windows 8 were just announced ... how quickly do you think Apple can start their photocopiers?

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yes, because Apple saw Microsoft's presentation and copied them. Apple couldn't have been working on these ideas for the past 6 months as common sense would suggest - no, Apple saw WP7 Mango & wrote iOS 5 in 2 weeks.

How old are you? Just curious.

13. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

This right here.

Everyone uses some ideas from others. I'm not complaining as long as they are quality features.

14. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Lol. I love how the fanboys have gone from "<insert OS> is just a weak copy of iOS, which is why iOS is better" to "Its ok to copy because everyone does it"

Not to worry, though. Now that iOS is catching up on a few features, the differences will come down to usability and specs.

15. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

so let me get this straight--if Android does something better than iOS, it is forbidden to accomplish the same better usability of said feature?

I switched from Android once VZ got the iphone--and I am extremely happy that Apple adopted the superior way of handling notifications. It was one of the few things I did miss.

If I still had Android I would still hope Google copy the copy & paste from Apple because it simply blows on Android--and that's a loss for Android users.

16. Beezy macrumors regular

People are going to be mad for a while that they dont have any negatives to talk about for the new iOS =D. Its defo a copycat world. Let the others field test it and then send it to my iPhone when we are sure its good. Pretty stoked me.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

MS needs to be worried. The head of AT&T recently said that WP7 devices are not selling like they thought they would. And now WP7 will probably have a much harder time gaining momentum after iOS and iPhone 5.

18. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Yeah the real question is "who cares?" Operating systems, mobile and otherwise, take cues from one another all the time, it's how innovation happens. Companies put their own spin on things pioneered by others, and improvement happens in layers. You can't really suggest that iOS 5 looks like a copy of WP7, or of Android, simply because they used some similar concepts.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The stunning sales figures of WP7 show that first isn't always the best.

20. Beezy macrumors regular

Well where would WP7 be with out iOS. Ask yourself that.

21. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

What do you mean?

Where would Apple be without Microsoft? The company would have collapsed back in the late 90's and there would be no such thing as the ipod or iphone

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

They should of gone back farther in split keyboard. There is pretty clear evidence that its been around since XP tablet days.

Well WP7 is fairly new OS and the phone spec wise have been rather middle of the road. There are just starting to see some high end WP7 phone even hit the market. For a young as WP7 is it is doing fairly well and everyone I know who has gotten one has loved it.

Now I personally would not want one because there are certain little things about WP7 that I would hate with a passion but I am not exactly normal but I have some good friends who I knew the phone would be great for the 2nd I played with one. One in particlure who I know does not like iOS at all and her iPod and iTunes has soured her from ever wanting another Apple product (that and pretty annoying Apple fan co workers who are idiots) WP7 she though the concept was really cool and when I played with one I knew she would love it.

23. TheSideshow, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

TheSideshow thread starter macrumors 6502

Im a 22 year old 4th year Mechanical Engineering student and Ive been into computers since I was 3 and have been on Windows Mobile, iPhone, Android, and watching WP7. I had electronic organizers in third grade and a palm pilot in fifth grade.

If you quit herping and derping you would notice that not all the features used were from Mango. Many were shipping with Windows Phone 7 or Android months and months ago.

Alas, this thread isnt bashing Apple for using those features, its to point out the nature of tech and hopefully remind some people of that fact.

24. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah we won't count that those devices copied 95% of their entire existence from the original iPhone.

We will just ignore that. LOL.