Don't set your expectations too high. The new iPhone is...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vinom, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Vinom macrumors member

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is somewhat connected in to what is in the Apple channels, and he gave me some interesting news of what to expect from WWDC keynote tomorrow...

- there will be speed increases in the mobile platforms (not exactly sure what he meant by this, but just passing it on.)

iPhone update will be incremental, not Apple-tastic. Features in new iPhone "as I understand it" are as follows:

- faster 3G, but with a caveat... the radios are faster, but the processors cannot quite keep up with the new bump in speed. I asked if the processors are the same as the current 3G, the answer I got was no, the processors are new and faster, but cannot quite maximize the bump from 3.6 to the 7.2 mbps rate at this time. Seems kind of weird to me. Sounds good for gamers and not so good for mobile ichat hopes.

- no front facing video camera... no video chat... the camera has been updated, will have higher resolution and it will be able to record video. He didn't mention if the lens is variable focus.

- size dimensions and overall form will remain essentially the same.

- there will be some surprises in 3.0 software.

That is about all I got from this call, other than what he had mentioned to me before which I found interesting...

"Since you already have the iPhone 3G, you might be happy in waiting another year for the NEXT next-gen iPhone... that'll be the really cool one that you want!"

As a side note for credibility, in January of this year, he told me that there would be a new Mac Mini released in March (correct), a new iPhone in June (we'll see), a Mac Tablet early next year, but more interesting was that he said Apple will introduce "a completely new, really amazing product that you haven't heard about" in the Fall of this year.. in time for the Holidays. I can't wait to hear what that one is.

I just thought I would pass these rumors along to anyone interested. We will know if these are right in a few hours.

2. Pooshka macrumors 65816

3. genetic macrumors 6502

nice! good news

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Could be true, kind of goes into what Gruber wrote.

5. mac88 macrumors 6502

6. OZMP macrumors 6502

sunrise, a morning tv show here in australia just said that they will be revealing the new iPhone at 6am, which is 3hours after the keynote :D

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, because Sunrise know anything.

Although.... their dancers did hold off the recession in Australia... :D

8. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

9. peteryan7hao macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

Its a gaming console combined with Apple TV

10. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Not to sound mean but I don't believe anything at all if I just hear it, until it is proven true. Except god and jesus :)

11. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

With an accelerometer based apple remote and nunchunks :)

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

with qwerty keyboard

13. mikey28 macrumors 6502

sounds like I'll be waiting in line on release day....

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

You do realize the website attached to this forum is macrumors... Right?

This would make my year, I've been preaching this for years!

15. rugox macrumors regular

So you had a friend who is "somewhat" connected to Apple. And all this time, while the rumors were flaring and debates heating up you didn't ask your "friend" who is "connected" to Apple and now about 9 hours before WWDC you suddenly decide to call him up and let out some detailed information. I believe you.

16. daonesteven macrumors 6502

maybe his friend only got his hands on some juicy info as it got closer to WWDC? that's not hard to believe.

17. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

And thats where I stopped reading.

18. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

What would you use the chunks of nun for?

:)

19. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Then go buy a phone with it. There are plenty.

20. YoungLew macrumors regular

same here :mad:

i guess we'll have to wait and see..........

21. nachtxeule macrumors member

the author of this thread just reported what's been in the news, congrats for wasting my time.

22. arubinst macrumors 6502

I'm really sorry but this is nonsense. Mobile phones have been using HSDPA for some years now. Even non-smartphones have it. It's not like 7.2 mbps just came out of the oven or that it is "blazing fast" technology for a faster-than-400 MHz processor not to be able to handle. I've already had two phones in the past that supported HSDPA. They both delivered. One of them was from 2007.

On the other hand, why would someone design a phone with 7.2 mbps radios and then use processors that "cannot quite keep up"? I work with embedded systems that use processors slower than the ones used on the iPhone and they can manage Gbit ethernet and Wireless-N communications without a hitch.

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to call this a FAIL...

23. fimac macrumors member

This is nonsensical, and sounds like FUD. We'll see in 8 hours... ;-)

Update: arubinst beat me to it!

24. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The iPhone 3G can't render web pages nearly as fast as it can recieve them with a hypothetical full 3G bandwidth - it doesn't have a fast enough processor or enough RAM to do so.

I can entirely belive that even with a processor and RAM bump in the new phone that will remain the case.

This sounds fairly plausible. As much as I really hope for a camera flash and a some surprises on the casing or a front facing camera, I'm not particularily expecting them (I would still find their lack disappointing, as I don't think the hardware platform is being moved fast enough. The camera should have been completely nailed this time, and 3.2mp without a bigger lens or a flash is not nailing it).

Phazer

25. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Apple would. And then next year they will announce the new iPhone IS able to keep up. So go buy it!! :D

Anyway, how about putting Wireless-N into the iPhone? How come that isn't being talked about or is something people want?