Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Let's face it... the majority of users don't even know what an SSD is, or what their sata speed is either for that matter. Most are learning about it now from the thread(s) here, and are upset over something that otherwise they would have never even known about or considered.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

True, and that includes me..

PolySciSurfer

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
California
Lol your signature is funny man.

Apparently he never misses an opportunity to brag. Reminds me of this fat little cartoon character. No kitty my pot pie!!

But seriously, is this SATA 2 vs. SATA 1 issue, really something to make a person not buy a new 13" MacBook Pro? Because I really wanted one, and I was planning on getting one this friday because I don't even have a computer right now.

Buy now or no? I'm really confused. I hope these people are not making a big deal out of nothing, talking about SATA and color saturation, because it might turn people off of buying a computer when they really are excellent machines.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
But seriously, is this SATA 2 vs. SATA 1 issue, really something to make a person not buy a new 13" MacBook Pro? Because I really wanted one, and I was planning on getting one this friday because I don't even have a computer right now.

hardly

go get it

this is getting out of control imo

the ONLY way this will affect you is if you use an ssd over a hdd and even then you will STILL see an improvement if you later move to an ssd. the only thing is that you will saturate the connection and not make the most out of your ssd. this means like what, an additional second or so when you are transferring at maximum rates and this is infrequent for the majority of the time for the majority of users

if you have a hdd, like the majority of people, you will NOT even notice any effect. ssd's today are priced uber high right now compared to sata hdds so mainly everyone will stick to hdds for the next couple years until ssds become affordable

people that get ssds now either need that increase in performance or have the money to spend the premium on one if they dont need that performance

CoffeeWarrior

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Apparently he never misses an opportunity to brag. Reminds me of this fat little cartoon character. No kitty my pot pie!!

Buy now or no? I'm really confused. I hope these people are not making a big deal out of nothing, talking about SATA and color saturation, because it might turn people off of buying a computer when they really are excellent machines.

Do I know you ?

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
Let's face it... the majority of users don't even know what an SSD is, or what their sata speed is either for that matter. Most are learning about it now from the thread(s) here, and are upset over something that otherwise they would have never even known about or considered.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

I agree... People are complaining about something that doesn't even affect them. It's sort of like complaining that your TV is only 720p when you don't even get HD cable. The only reason some people care about it being SATA I is because they are perfectionists and want the best of the best even if they don't use it to its full extent. While there may be some people that actually need it, the majority of users don't. Besides, the only people that have noticed are people in tech forums like this. The average buyer isn't going to know or care about the "downgrade" to SATA I. Apple had to make price cuts somewhere. They couldn't just make it cheaper and upgrade all of the components. If you REALLY need SATA II, just get the 15" MBP. Just like if you really need an Express Card slot, just get a 17". SATA I isn't bad, stop complaining.

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2009
Yeah, I consider myself to know a bit about technology and don't see a problem with a slower sata, at least in my case. I know people like to complain and moan over it but I really don't see a problem at the end of the day.

Same. I actually just last night ordered a new MBP. This doesn't affect me at all, and if it somehow increases battery life, I'm extremely happy.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
I agree... People are complaining about something that doesn't even affect them. It's sort of like complaining that your TV is only 720p when you don't even get HD cable. The only reason some people care about it being SATA I is because they are perfectionists and want the best of the best even if they don't use it to its full extent. While there may be some people that actually need it, the majority of users don't. Besides, the only people that have noticed are people in tech forums like this. The average buyer isn't going to know or care about the "downgrade" to SATA I. Apple had to make price cuts somewhere. They couldn't just make it cheaper and upgrade all of the components. If you REALLY need SATA II, just get the 15" MBP. Just like if you really need an Express Card slot, just get a 17". SATA I isn't bad, stop complaining.

Apple support has stated to one person that this was not done to cut cost but as an "efficiency improvement". Today we use more bandwidth than yesterday. Tomorrow even more bandwidth is used and needed. Who are you to say that evolution stops here. No this is a choice that should be up to the user to make. Just as the graphics card is a user choice between speed and battery life. This could be also.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Will probably be fixed with a firmware update anyway.

I can almost guarantee that this was not done intentionally, despite it being a stupid blunder on Apple's part.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Will probably be fixed with a firmware update anyway.

I can almost guarantee that this was not done intentionally, despite it being a stupid blunder on Apple's part.

Some people in the other thread claim to have it confirmed as an intentional change by Apple. I'm not saying it's necessarily true (who'd own up to mistake before finding out how expensive it'll be to fix?), but can you explain why you think it's unintentional?

iAlex

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2006
FEMA District X

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

I think EVERYONE who goes to the Apple MBP "Buy it Now" page will know what SSD is because it is clearly listed under the HD upgrade options for every MBP.

--

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004

pik.

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Bologna/Corfu/Paris
same old apple...

takes back one...

gives it after 5 months...

but is taking back something else...

I wait the matte 15 inch in that case...
they should have it ready by now...
I m sure that i will be ready at e price of 45$ and be advertised as''matte Macbook pro 15 inch...for your eyes only...'':D

Azrel

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2005
How do you have 6 Gig of Ram in yours

4gig stick + 2gig stick. I believe the nVidia chipset supports 8gig (which was why I was so hyped when I bought the MacBook) but there's issues with Mac OS X once you go over 6gig.

I'm hoping a software update might add 8gig support, but I doubt it.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
4gig stick + 2gig stick. I believe the nVidia chipset supports 8gig (which was why I was so hyped when I bought the MacBook) but there's issues with Mac OS X once you go over 6gig.

I'm hoping a software update might add 8gig support, but I doubt it.
There are issues with the firmware, not with Mac OS X. That's the one thing I hate that Apple has done in the past- crippling memory support. The original Core Duo MBP could only support 2GB of RAM, even though the chipset supported 4GB (~3GB addressable).

CoffeeWarrior

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
There are issues with the firmware, not with Mac OS X. That's the one thing I hate that Apple has done in the past- crippling memory support. The original Core Duo MBP could only support 2GB of RAM, even though the chipset supported 4GB (~3GB addressable).

How's it going Bill ?

mmoran27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
These are mbp now

You can't say that previous mb had same specs. Real Mbps had 6mb cache and 512 mb VRAM.

Even the top of the line 15 has the SATA 1.5 problem.

This is done intentionally. Even the hard drives they ship are SATA 1. I checke d mine

cu2010

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
new york city
I forgot to ask when I phoned the other day..
When you return your mb/mbp, do you keep a pre-installed Microsoft Word?
Does anyone know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.