Don't trust photos

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, Apr 16, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

The previously unadvertised yellow gold Edition with weirdly green leather strap.

[​IMG]

2. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

....that's stainless and the black leather loop but good try

3. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

What's the point of even posting this? Let alone starting a new thread about it.

4. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

:confused: <---- majorly confused about the existence of this post!

5. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

You're not alone

6. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

<sighs>

Many people who have not been to an Apple Store have been trawling the internet for photos and videos to guide them on which watch and strap they wish to buy.

This picture clearly illustrates the dangers of relying on photos.

7. i0Nic macrumors 65816

You mean environmental lighting and camera exposure settings can influence colours in a photo? You don't say.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I even heard that Black and White photos don't show the true colors.:eek:

9. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Wow, what a response.

This seems a valid thread. Lots of people will base their purchase on pictures alone and Joe-average consumer might not know about how colours can vary.

If that was the first image I'd ever seen of an Apple Watch, I probably would think they made a green leather strap.

10. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

It's not that this is not a valid thought. I think some are just getting tired of the OP constantly starting new threads for EVERY thought that pops into his mind.

His excuse it that he cannot be bothered to find his old threads that drop off the first page but clearly he has not discovered the subscription option...

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not really because the color balance is way, way, WAY off. Professional photos like used on the Apple site use correct color temperature lighting and are correctly color balanced to show the colors as accurately as possible.

It is far to say that the pics on the Apple site don't do full justice compared to actually seeing them in real life. However using a picture that is so far off to make this point is too extreme an example.

12. profmatt, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015

profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

I saw a picture, I thought other people would find it interesting. The fact that you don't would suggest that you ignore it and move on.

In the last couple of weeks these forums have turned into a nasty bear pit of bitchiness and, frankly, I think I may **** off myself.

----------

The fact it is extreme is exactly the point. I myself have wondered exactly what the blue leather strap looks like in real life. This photo illustrates that there's really no way to be sure without seeing it in real life. No photo is true.

13. AaronChicago macrumors member

C'mon guys this is obviously a "white/blue dress vs gold/brown dress" spoof.

14. Sgh808 macrumors member

Sgh808

Bugger, beat me to it.

15. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

Having a minor pop at Apple......this was always going to end badly.

Some folks on here seem to take the slightest criticism of Apple very personally.

16. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

It's not a pop and it's not a spoof. It's a photo somebody took that I saw on 9to5mac.com and I thought it was a good illustration of the need to be cautious when looking at photos of the watch. The fact that the colour is so wrong demonstrates how different photos and reality can be.

I asked about the "bright blue" leather loop yesterday. The brightness and blueness seem to vary markedly depending on the photo.

It was a simple point that interested me and I thought it might interest others. I had no idea it would bring the wrath of God upon my shoulders.

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

But you are mistaken, it's very easy to see that this picture is very washed out and overly bright. Most pictures are not, and are very accurate as to how the watches look in real life. Tip: if you can clearly see the screen and bezel as two different things in a picture, then it is too bright; they should be very close to the same shade of black.

18. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

Ugh.

I have seen lots of photos of the black leather strap, for example. Sometimes it looks brown, sometimes black, it is very difficult to know exactly what it's going to look like.

19. deckard666 macrumors regular

deckard666

Black ? :)

20. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Maybe you are seeing the brown leather strap? Apple makes both colors.

21. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

With all do respect, I have noticed you joined about a month ago and have created over 59 threads. Some are arguably unnecessary and could have been posted in existing threads. I agree many have people have attitudes and confuse opinion with fact. Just don't interact with them

That being said, it's hypocritical or curse people out then complain about the other members behavior

22. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'm so sorry to have wasted your valuable time by trying to make a contribution.

Don't worry. I'm done. You can all get back to bashing Nilay Patel and feeling smug and superior about how much better than him you are.

23. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I was being sincere, now you're attacking me? Nilay was completely out of line. The fact that you take people stating their opinion about his racist, profanity filled rant as a smug or superiority issue is insane

24. derekmess macrumors member

Everyone is taking this post super seriously but I agree, and I thought of the dress immediately. It's just a joke, and I thought it was funny.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP isn't even worded to be funny. A funny one that alludes to the big dress color debate would be "Is it silver and black or gold and green?"