Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I bought a brand new iPhone 13 mini. It had iOS 15 on it, but I decided to update to iOS 17.

Basically, I ruined the phone. Lol, I just upgraded from a first generation iPhone SE (that's the one from 2016!), but this iPhone 13 mini is slow and laggy as hell now. My 2016 iPhone SE is completely smooth on iOS 15.

Very, very disappointed. This is absolutely ridiculous. Apple is doing this on purpose I think!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I think I noticed some slowing with iOS 17 on my 13 Mini as well. I wouldn't go as far and say "laggy as hell" with mine, but maybe a slight difference, and only sometimes.

Another issue that I noticed is that apps seem to be not doing multitasking as well, like the RAM management has deteriorated slightly.

I also don't like some of the UI changes, but not really performance related.

Brand new (4 months or so) 13 mini here, no problems whatsoever.
I bought a brand new iPhone 13 mini.
I know your Minis are relatively new, but what is your battery health %?

While my phone is going to be two years old in a few months, the battery health is still good (94%), so any issues I am having are probably not related to an aging battery.

I thought maybe my battery might need replacing, but that is probably not it. I noticed in the past with some of my other iPhones that when the battery drops below 88% performance takes a hit a little.

It had iOS 15 on it, but I decided to update to iOS 17.
Not sure if this is what is going on with your phone, but sometimes a new OS install, or upgrading the OS, I think for the first hour up to two days (depending on size of storage), the OS is indexing, and that can sometimes impact performance, although it is just temporary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slix

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It certainly shouldn't be that bad, your device may still indexing.
Yeah, when I upgraded my 11 Pro Max to iOS 17 it took a couple days to really start feeling as fast as it did before the upgrade. Even my new 15 Pro Max hiccuped a bit here and there and used more battery on the first day or so.

It isn't just indexing, it's building caches. The system caches things you do often, once you've been using it a few days you've "taught" the cache what to keep around and performance increases significantly.

Caches and indexes are cleared on major upgrades, which causes the slowness in the first place.

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
I bought a brand new iPhone 13 mini. It had iOS 15 on it, but I decided to update to iOS 17.

Basically, I ruined the phone. Lol, I just upgraded from a first generation iPhone SE (that's the one from 2016!), but this iPhone 13 mini is slow and laggy as hell now. My 2016 iPhone SE is completely smooth on iOS 15.

Very, very disappointed. This is absolutely ridiculous. Apple is doing this on purpose I think!

Plenty of iPhone 13 Mini's around me (parents, my partner) and they are running smooth as butter and better than they did on iOS 16 actually. I think you need to lose the tin foil hat friend and maybe try to figure out what's causing your issue instead of running to assumptions and spreading misinformation.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I can't come up with any rational reason to allege "Apple is doing this on purpose I think!"

Of course Apple want us to update our devices regularly. But undermining any value to a two-year old device seems more in the line of own-foot shooting.

Reactions: Tagbert

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

Hi, Tim Cook here.

I'm sorry to hear you are not satisfied with your experience using your iPhone 13 Mini. I would like to inform you that we have just released the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Enjoy butter smooth experience again with the latest Titanium iPhone's. Order now from www.apple.com

Send from my Lambo.

Tim

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
It was indexing and caching it seems, as it has become faster, but it's still not as fast as my 2016 iPhone SE on iOS 15.

It wouldn't be surprising if the 13 mini was slower on iOS 17 than on iOS 15. Every software update so far has slowed down devices, even if it may not be perceptible.

I can't come up with any rational reason to allege "Apple is doing this on purpose I think!"

That's because you're obviously not a business person. Making older devices slower to sell newer ones is actually one of the most rational things a company can do.

And Apple did that, and was condemned by multiple courts for doing so:

And by the way, Apple apparently also programmed old iPods' batteries to fail after a certain amount of time has passed. Apple paid huge amounts for this too.

So there's no tin foil involved here, just court verdicts from major judicial institutions over the world.

Everyone who has basics in business management knows practices like these are no secret. Why do you think tire manufacturers have created the perfect tire, patented them, just to never sell them in the end? Because they would sell no more tires.

Apart from this, I'm in the "update your devices" group, the main reason being security, but eventually also new features, if I find them useful. But without a doubt your device is aging with every update.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
It was indexing and caching it seems, as it has become faster, but it's still not as fast as my 2016 iPhone SE on iOS 15.

It wouldn't be surprising if the 13 mini was slower on iOS 17 than on iOS 15. Every software update so far has slowed down devices, even if it may not be perceptible.

That's because you're obviously not a business person. Making older devices slower to sell newer ones is actually one of the most rational things a company can do.

And by the way, Apple apparently also programmed old iPods' batteries to fail after a certain amount of time has passed. Apple paid huge amounts for this too.

So there's no tin foil involved here, just court verdicts from major judicial institutions over the world.

Everyone who has basics in business management knows practices like these are no secret. Why do you think tire manufacturers have created the perfect tire, patented them, just to never sell them in the end? Because they would sell no more tires.

Apart from this, I'm in the "update your devices" group, the main reason being security, but eventually also new features, if I find them useful. But without a doubt your device is aging with every update.
You can’t read very well. They ‘made them slower’ when the battery was weak and unstable so that they would continue to function and not just crash when the power system couldn’t supply requisite power. This is the opposite of doing so in order to make you buy a new device sooner. This would make old devices with weak batteries chug along longer.

As far as the comment ‘slows down even if it’s not perceptible’, I don’t even know what to say. That makes absolutely no sense.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales

My previous iPhones (owned by me rather than work phones which I have also had) have been a 6S and a 12 Pro. So many updates over the years.

I didn't, and still don't, feel that Apple did anything intentional to IOS in order to make them slower. The 6S was a small storage device, I got a very good deal on it, but that is what made it really annoying. And battery life had deteriorated in line with expectations.

My 15PM is faster than either. But it wasn't primarily speed that encouraged me to update.

Reactions: Tagbert

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
FWIW, I was running iOS 17 starting from PB1 on my 12 mini with no issues. Speed-wise it did not feel slower than on iOS 16. As others have mentioned, your new 13 mini might still be indexing stuff, so see how it does in 2-3 days from now.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

Nothing but a conspiracy theory…
Give it a couple days… my wife’s 13 mini does just fine on 17

Last edited:
Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
You can’t read very well. They ‘made them slower’ when the battery was weak and unstable so that they would continue to function and not just crash when the power system couldn’t supply requisite power. This is the opposite of doing so in order to make you buy a new device sooner. This would make old devices with weak batteries chug along longer.

As far as the comment ‘slows down even if it’s not perceptible’, I don’t even know what to say. That makes absolutely no sense.

Did you ever have an iPhone 4 with iOS 7? I hope you didn't!

Also, they couldn't have made the iPhones crash because that would have been illegal e.g. in the European Union. Apple is adding heavy trash design features to its devices, and it knows it will make older devices slower. They would have nothing to sell otherwise.

And of course it is possible that a device is slowed down without it being perceptible. Just like the temperature can be a degree colder (= measurable) without it actually being perceptible for you. Every update will most likely make your device slower a little bit. Perception is subjective, but measurements are objective. I'm not sure how that makes no sense to you 😅

I'm not saying you're silly, John; but, my iP13-mini has (subjectively, of-course) been performing better since updating 15.x.y to 17.x.y

It's been an extremely pert and performant little creature, since ;)

Well, mine was slowed down sadly. 😂 I wouldn't create this thread if it wasn't like that and if I wasn't mad. Do you guys think I created this thread for fun and having nothing better to do than making up stories?

It's extremely frustrating because I multi task a lot and I'm sensible to smoothness and performance changes, I need to constantly send people files, open documents, modify things, open heavy platforms and do all that at the same time, and you can feel the slightest changes and it's annoying, because you want to work in a "good context".

That's why Apple devices are only made to look at. They're not for people who work. They're for people who put them on their desk and then admire them. 😂 And don't hate on me, I've worked with Apple 95% of the time in the past 25 years, I know this company.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Did you ever have an iPhone 4 with iOS 7? I hope you didn't!

Also, they couldn't have made the iPhones crash because that would have been illegal e.g. in the European Union. Apple is adding heavy trash design features to its devices, and it knows it will make older devices slower. They would have nothing to sell otherwise.

And of course it is possible that a device is slowed down without it being perceptible. Just like the temperature can be a degree colder (= measurable) without it actually being perceptible for you. Every update will most likely make your device slower a little bit. Perception is subjective, but measurements are objective. I'm not sure how that makes no sense to you 😅

Well, mine was slowed down sadly. 😂 I wouldn't create this thread if it wasn't like that and if I wasn't mad. Do you guys think I created this thread for fun and having nothing better to do than making up stories?

It's extremely frustrating because I multi task a lot and I'm sensible to smoothness and performance changes, I need to constantly send people files, open documents, modify things, open heavy platforms and do all that at the same time, and you can feel the slightest changes and it's annoying, because you want to work in a "good context".

That's why Apple devices are only made to look at. They're not for people who work. They're for people who put them on their desk and then admire them. 😂 And don't hate on me, I've worked with Apple 95% of the time in the past 25 years, I know this company.

the articles you linked have nothing to do with the iphone 4. did you read them?

whatever you say silly john fatty. sell your iphone and go buy an android? good luck!

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL

Oh, I'm sure your experience--however subjective it may be--is entirely real. Though not shared by all, it appears to be a real experience for you :)

On a personal note:

I did not lay-blame on the potential EOL for my MP 5,1 at the feet of Apple . . . it was just that it's Time had past. Still functional--and quite performant--yet devoid of unlimited replacement parts, upgradability, compatibility, etc.

Apple continues to produce software and devices, and said software is definitely more performant on newer devices.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Ptolomy stated (2K years ago), "We consider it a good principle to explain the phenomena by the simplest hypothesis possible."

William of Ockham wrote (back in 1323 (AD), in his Summa Logicae): "It is futile to do with more what can be done with fewer."

Isaac Newton re-iterated such (Principia Mathematica (1687)): “We are to admit no more causes of natural things, than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances.”

Were we to distill William's "razor" into our current condition, it may very-well be appropriate to state:

"The simplest explanation is usually the best one."

My MP 5,1 still lives--and enjoys a Good Life--but, it's days are numbered.

There is in no way that I can lay the inability of my MP to persist in being as performant as it is, today, to infinity at the feet of Apple engineers. Truly, its current performance is a testament to the forward-thinking of (at-least) the engineers c. 2010 ;)

The iP13-mini is (IMO) the penultimate in Apple engineering, and--though I may find myself ultimately having to lay-down this exquisite device to make-way for another--I would definitely do such a thing, were it such that I would find myself bereft of the benefits in not doing so.

Sincerely, I hope your experience with using such a thing is elevated in the future.

peace

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Oh, I'm sure your experience--however subjective it may be--is entirely real. Though not shared by all, it appears to be a real experience for you :)

On a personal note:

I did not lay-blame on the potential EOL for my MP 5,1 at the feet of Apple . . . it was just that it's Time had past. Still functional--and quite performant--yet devoid of unlimited replacement parts, upgradability, compatibility, etc.

Apple continues to produce software and devices, and said software is definitely more performant on newer devices.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Ptolomy stated (2K years ago), "We consider it a good principle to explain the phenomena by the simplest hypothesis possible."

William of Ockham wrote (back in 1323 (AD), in his Summa Logicae): "It is futile to do with more what can be done with fewer."

Isaac Newton re-iterated such (Principia Mathematica (1687)): “We are to admit no more causes of natural things, than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances.”

Were we to distill William's "razor" into our current condition, it may very-well be appropriate to state:

"The simplest explanation is usually the best one."

My MP 5,1 still lives--and enjoys a Good Life--but, it's days are numbered.

There is in no way that I can lay the inability of my MP to persist in being as performant as it is, today, to infinity at the feet of Apple engineers. Truly, its current performance is a testament to the forward-thinking of (at-least) the engineers c. 2010 ;)

The iP13-mini is (IMO) the penultimate in Apple engineering, and--though I may find myself ultimately having to lay-down this exquisite device to make-way for another--I would definitely do such a thing, were it such that I would find myself bereft of the benefits in not doing so.

Sincerely, I hope your experience with using such a thing is elevated in the future.

peace
lol ok Shakespeare

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.