Dont' use a hard case for your black iphone 5

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
I have heard from a number of people on twitter saying that putting the case on or off in fact adds to the scratches because of its hardness. Better option is a soft case

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I have heard from a number of people on twitter saying that putting the case on or off in fact adds to the scratches because of its hardness. Better option is a soft case
I have a soft case, and because it is not a tight fit, it is quickly accumulating lint between the case and the phone which, over time, is sure to scratch the anodized coloring as well. So frankly, I think there is no ideal case solution for this phone from a scratch standpoint. I am going to return my current case to Best Buy and just choose based on aesthetics and protection.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I put a hard case th a velvet interior on it. It is my phone and I like the case so the case stays.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I'm using an Incipio Feather which is a hard snap on case but it has a soft touch finish on the inside and outside. I've put it on and taken it off a few times now (being careful of course) and as far as I can tell it hasn't made any nicks or scratches in the aluminum.

AwesomeChase

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Atlanta
I picked up a trusty black Speck Candyshell case from Target, and so far I love it. It feels very snug and I know that it won't be scratching the phone. The black on black looks pretty awesome too! :cool:

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
I'm using an Incipio Feather which is a hard snap on case but it has a soft touch finish on the inside and outside. I've put it on and taken it off a few times now (being careful of course) and as far as I can tell it hasn't made any nicks or scratches in the aluminum.
Does the feather have lay on the table design? It's hard to tell from the online pics. I know in the past, it didn't, but I have it for my iPad and I love the material. I don't lay my iPad on its face though, so it didn't matter to me if it covered the edges.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Does the feather have lay on the table design? It's hard to tell from the online pics. I know in the past, it didn't, but I have it for my iPad and I love the material. I don't lay my iPad on its face though, so it didn't matter to me if it covered the edges.
It does wrap around just a hair above the screen so when you lay it face down on a flat table the screen doesn't touch, but not by very much.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Bought a 'Snugg' leather case from their website for £19.99+ postage.

Fits like a glove, doesn't add a lot to the profile of the phone, keeps 95% of the dust out and stops it scratching or rubbing on anything.

Highly recommend it.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I picked up a trusty black Speck Candyshell case from Target, and so far I love it. It feels very snug and I know that it won't be scratching the phone. The black on black looks pretty awesome too! :cool:
I returned the case I mentioned above to Best Buy, and on a whim, gave the Speck Candyshell a try (you can open the package without ripping anything). Phenomenal fit, and no screen protector bubbling. I don't think a speck (ha ha) of dust could wiggle in there if it tried. And I agree with you, with the soft liner, and no wiggle room, it should not scratch the phone. I had a minor heart attack trying to take it back off though - tough. FYI - the white on white looks sick too.

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
How did I get that already so fast. Their websit says ships on 9 -21. My local stores also don't carry it yet.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
It does wrap around just a hair above the screen so when you lay it face down on a flat table the screen doesn't touch, but not by very much.
Ok, good to know, thanks. I will have a Power Support screen protector on the front, so it shouldn't be an issue. I always try to be super careful with my phone anyway.

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
I ordered a bumper but for now I am going naked for now and hoping not to ding it up too bad. I know it will happen and it came with a couple tiny nicks but I don't care. I have applecare+ in case anything happens... I want to keep this iPhone naked because I love the look and feel of it.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Hey, if you are going to keep the phone for two years, why the worry.

Also, isn't the reason for the case to "protect it"...and of course "hide it"

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Great. Sheath that phone all around and immediately so that another recipient in two years down the line gets to handle the perfect phone that you only had a chance to touch once.

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Bought a 'Snugg' leather case from their website for £19.99+ postage.

Fits like a glove, doesn't add a lot to the profile of the phone, keeps 95% of the dust out and stops it scratching or rubbing on anything.

Highly recommend it.
Thanks for saying so! I've been considering it.

dannyhex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
NY
i got the black and gray speck case from bestbuy. Matches the phone perfect. soft on inside hard and some rubber on outside. slippery but yet has good grip at same time. Awesome case for price.