Dont' use a hard case for your black iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hasanahmad, Sep 23, 2012.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

I have heard from a number of people on twitter saying that putting the case on or off in fact adds to the scratches because of its hardness. Better option is a soft case

2. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

I have a soft case, and because it is not a tight fit, it is quickly accumulating lint between the case and the phone which, over time, is sure to scratch the anodized coloring as well. So frankly, I think there is no ideal case solution for this phone from a scratch standpoint. I am going to return my current case to Best Buy and just choose based on aesthetics and protection.

3. leenak macrumors 68020

I put a hard case th a velvet interior on it. It is my phone and I like the case so the case stays.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm using an Incipio Feather which is a hard snap on case but it has a soft touch finish on the inside and outside. I've put it on and taken it off a few times now (being careful of course) and as far as I can tell it hasn't made any nicks or scratches in the aluminum.

5. AwesomeChase macrumors newbie

I picked up a trusty black Speck Candyshell case from Target, and so far I love it. It feels very snug and I know that it won't be scratching the phone. The black on black looks pretty awesome too! :cool:

6. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Does the feather have lay on the table design? It's hard to tell from the online pics. I know in the past, it didn't, but I have it for my iPad and I love the material. I don't lay my iPad on its face though, so it didn't matter to me if it covered the edges.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It does wrap around just a hair above the screen so when you lay it face down on a flat table the screen doesn't touch, but not by very much.

8. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Bought a 'Snugg' leather case from their website for £19.99+ postage.

Fits like a glove, doesn't add a lot to the profile of the phone, keeps 95% of the dust out and stops it scratching or rubbing on anything.

Highly recommend it.

9. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

I returned the case I mentioned above to Best Buy, and on a whim, gave the Speck Candyshell a try (you can open the package without ripping anything). Phenomenal fit, and no screen protector bubbling. I don't think a speck (ha ha) of dust could wiggle in there if it tried. And I agree with you, with the soft liner, and no wiggle room, it should not scratch the phone. I had a minor heart attack trying to take it back off though - tough. FYI - the white on white looks sick too.

10. richpuer macrumors 6502

How did I get that already so fast. Their websit says ships on 9 -21. My local stores also don't carry it yet.

11. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok, good to know, thanks. I will have a Power Support screen protector on the front, so it shouldn't be an issue. I always try to be super careful with my phone anyway.

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I ordered it on the 14th, a few hours after I preordred my phone. It came in the mail on the 21st. :)

13. brendu macrumors 68020

I ordered a bumper but for now I am going naked for now and hoping not to ding it up too bad. I know it will happen and it came with a couple tiny nicks but I don't care. I have applecare+ in case anything happens... I want to keep this iPhone naked because I love the look and feel of it.

14. apierrec macrumors 6502

I will not. Naked is the best & most beautiful option. Jony Ive will be proud! :p

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Hey, if you are going to keep the phone for two years, why the worry.

Also, isn't the reason for the case to "protect it"...and of course "hide it"

16. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

This is exactly the one I have. In black as well.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

Great. Sheath that phone all around and immediately so that another recipient in two years down the line gets to handle the perfect phone that you only had a chance to touch once.

18. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Yep. I plan to. And then I plan to sell it back (in perfect condition) to fund my NEXT phone.

19. wellok macrumors 6502

Thanks for saying so! I've been considering it.

20. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

21. dannyhex macrumors regular

i got the black and gray speck case from bestbuy. Matches the phone perfect. soft on inside hard and some rubber on outside. slippery but yet has good grip at same time. Awesome case for price.

22. doctorandrew macrumors member

Just put a skin protector on it. Keep the naked look.

23. Joewat64 macrumors regular

What's a good one?

24. dotme macrumors 6502a

Incase Slider for me. Silicon spray in the sides before I slid it on.

25. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Until you drop the device on its corner...