Don't want to activate at store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maaz, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Hey guys iam wondering if I buy the iphone 4 at the apple store, will I have to activate it in the store or can I do it at home? Because I am buying it for another line and then I plan on doing an upgrade swap.

2. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

If you're upgrading (getting subsidized pricing) then yes, apple will activate it. You'll be hard-pressed to find an apple store that won't, unless the activation servers go down.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Most likely you won't get to activate it in the store because the servers will go down a hour into the release.

4. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

But people who ordered it online get to self-activate. I don't see why they wouldn't allow me to do mine. I don't want the box opened until I get home!

5. LoganT macrumors 68020

Well...sorry.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I pre-paid and look forward to delivery at my front door. I'm certain activation will take place at home shortly after I open the new iPhone 4 packaging...:cool:

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Easiest solution: Get 100 people to go to att.com and keep reloading the page for a hour at 7AM (you could even set your computer to do this automatically). With the combination of activations done in NY, and the 100 people, the servers would go offline. There, then you can go home happy.

And YES, that is illegal. However, you asked and I told.

8. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Well then one of two things will happen:

Either they will sell it to you to activate yourself -OR- they will try to activate in the store (Apple) for hours and hours before they screw up your account and send you home without an iphone (personal experience) :D

I got a 3GS half activated in store before the servers went down and when I re-activate my 2G so I COULD HAVE A PHONE, I lost my eligible upgrade. The Apple store manager was able to get it back after 3 days, but by then I gave up on the 3GS.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

There are too many people to try for hours and hours. You'd end up getting done with one, then 20 more show up in line.

10. army91c macrumors 6502a

They won't let you because it's policy. Don't want it to be activated then you should of pre ordered and had it delivered.

11. hellodon macrumors 6502

I'm a little worried about them screwing up my account....especially since I am keeping my unlimited data plan. I feel like they're going to mess this up and I'll end up at AT&T which is why I wanted to buy it directly from AT&T to begin with but that didnt happen. The only thing I could get for sure was a reservation in store for launch day. I'm thankful that I have that but due to past experience when I got my 3G, they don't have the knowledge to properly do this stuff and they mess up your account. Had to go to AT&T to have them fix it...that day is going to be a gong show - I sure hope they just activate it and leave everything else with my account alone.

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

What? Why would you go to all that trouble. All you have to do is craft a denial of service attack to hit the servers about 20 minutes before you get to the front of the line. :D

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No, because then they can put you in jail. When there's 100 other people involved, they just think it's because there's too many people trying to activate. :D.

14. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

You just got yourself on some kind of watch-list by saying that.

15. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I would not say "most likely" because this is not a scenario you can bet on.

I can almost guarantee you that they will make you activate it before you leave.

16. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

It's "should have" not "should of", and I tried for eight and a half hours to order that d*** thing. Had no choice but to reserve

17. Maaz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I tried the whole day and I couldn't get through, so in store pickup was my only option.

18. army91c macrumors 6502a

LoL, really? Funny stuff. I'm on a forum not writing a school paper... but I appreciate your concern.

Well I got all 3 of mine ordered just fine. I should of bought 4 just to piss all those that couldn't get through off. Already sold 2 of them on e-bay (one before the pre-sale even started)

Maybe if all the people that were "reserving" would of stayed off the computer and let all the pre-orders buy their phone there wouldn't of been such an issue.
    Don't worry, I'll be in line at the Altamonte Mall in Florida picking up MY reserved i-4 with a smile on my face knowing the other 3 are on the way to my wife in Colorado. Yeah, guess I should of picked up a 4th online.... Oh well.

19. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

just out of curiosity, would they allow you too keep it in the box sealed and walk out the store with it? Say you were going to be giving it as a gift or something? or is it procedure that they open it and at least attempt to activate it?

20. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

forgot one.

21. army91c macrumors 6502a

You can do that.... just pay the no commitment price and you're golden.

22. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Well whats the difference of them not even trying to activate it and letting me walk out with it, and their systems crashing and them not activating it? seems like all they do if the systems are down is scan the barcode on the back and enter the IMEI found on the back of the box. So in all actuality didn't plenty of people do this last year when the systems crashed? just a thought, I don't plan on actually proceeding with this..

23. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

I don't' think the 100 people will make a big difference when they'll be trying to activate the 600,000 pre-order phones, plus hundreds of thousands of first day of sale walk-in purchases, that day, If 100 people can tie up their server then we're all in trouble!

24. Munitalp macrumors 65816

How would activating it at the store affect anything regarding your swap? Activate, remove sim card, switch, done?

25. CJayC macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 me, don't even bother. These people never learn. I've corrected over a hundred people who say "there" in place of "they're" and parrots who say "should of" instead of "should've".

These are the same Americans who walk into the Apple Store with a genius bar appointment and say "I can't browse the internet I accidentally deleted Safari icon HURR DURR."