Don't worry

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BainthaBrakk, Oct 1, 2011.

1. BainthaBrakk macrumors newbie

Well,

As a non Apple fanboy that find it entertaining with the hype surrounding the different mobile phone OS's of today, I must say I find it bewildering that some people seem to believe that the announcement next week will not include a new(redesigned) iPhone.

Of course it will. If Apple would not do this, they will lose their credibility as entrepreneurs and inventors. Most likely it will look as the mock-up made by the german site.

The question is more of:

Will iPhone survive the recent degradation to a mainstream product? Now, from my perspective iPhone is no longer the cutting edge device it used to be. It is mainly a phone which everyone else has. If they fail to produce the phone that people who really care want as their new phone, they will fail to be the phone that everyone wants a year from now.

I, as everyone else is looking forward to the release...

Peace-

/BB

2. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

They HAVE done it in the past. The first 3 iPhone models are nearly identical at first glance.

3. Karr271 macrumors regular

well everyone has the iPhone now because it is the phone to want and considering apple consistently sells more and more iPhones, they're doing something right.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

[​IMG]

Really?

5. apmorency macrumors regular

Degradation? I would say becoming mainstream is it's biggest asset and compliment so of course it will. It's WHY it will survive.
    Take the ipod for example. It was the default mp3 player. When people heard mp3 player, it was the ipod that was associated with the the term. And what came after it as a mainstream competitor and considered it's equal? Nothing.

Not saying there weren't any, just that no other mp3 player reached the household item status and instant recognition of the ipod. Even cars have ipod controls built into them. Ever see a zune control or zen mini control option in a car? How many bookshelf audio and clockradio's do you see with another handset interface built into them? None.

There's still the perception out there that the iphone is expensive to own and I think that's the biggest obstacle it has. That and it's really overkill for what most people need.

6. Duckit macrumors regular

Duckit

The iPhone is still a great device! Sure there are other alternatives so if you don't like it, don't buy it.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The main problem with your argument OP is that Apple is not trying to make the iPhone a super premium phone. Sure it's a high end device, but Apple is really trying to make it so that EVERYONE can have/want one. They are about making it mainstream, instead of phones like the Galaxy S 2 and the Nexus line which are aimed toward tech nerds.

The "degradation" you are talking about shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing...the more iPhones they can get into people's hands, the better it is for them, and so far, it's been something that they have been good at doing. Over 100 million phones in 4 years? That's just crazy, and really only one company can do that. :apple:

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

turn it over! :D

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JMC08 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's very simple. Most of the people on here take the last report they read and decide that it is it is the truest. They are not able to aggregate all of the stories and come to their own conclusion about what makes more or less sense in Apples eyes.

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I think I'd rather they went back to plastic then for them to stick with the current design. It's not that I don't like the design of the iPhone 4, I love it. But I've just been waiting so long and I want it to actually feel like I'vd bought a new phone when I get the next iPhone. Which might not happen if it looks exactly the same. I guess we'll see on Tuesday.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

It is soooo time to change. All these phones are very similar at first glance from the front. Something has to stand out from the pack...And you will see that "something" Tuesday morning.

13. BainthaBrakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I think the mistake is thinking that you can keep the interest of the masses without innovation. The product cycles is getting shorter and shorter and the "geeks" pretty much decides whats the next big thing.

If Apple (and their competition) doesn't stay on edge, they will lose their grip on the mainstream as well.

/BB

14. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

Agree. Geeks are what got this thing going. I remember in 2007 when nerds in a few of my college courses were obsessed with this little apple phone and I thought it was really geeky, but they were on it and now I and everyone's grandma has one. These guys practically spearheaded the whole smartphone obsession.

15. admanimal macrumors 68040

All the new phone needs is one awesome, new, exclusive feature to catch headlines with. It doesn't matter whether it's hardware or software. This year it will probably be the new voice assistant thing.

16. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I do agree with what you said about Apple falling behind in the next year without a new look phone, as people want the next big thing.

Now, I don't use Apple products to massage my ego, so I don't care who has them, but I am astounded by the numbers who have iphones.

When I got mine I could count the number of my colleges who had them on one hand, now, at least 80% of my work colleagues and friends have iPhones. It is scary.

17. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Yeah, I said they were "nearly" identical and I stand by that. At first and second glance, the first three generations look the same to me.

Which says two things to me...

1. People will buy it even if it's not redesigned. So would I.

2. The specs on the inside mean a lot more than whether or not the outside appearance has changed. Compare the 3GS specs to the 2G specs or even the 3G specs. iOS4 on a 3G vs on a 3Gs speaks volumes. Looks don't mean a thing.

I don't care what they call it on Tuesday. I don't care if it's redesigned, or if there is two models, etc.

Give me an A5, a better camera, and (hopefully) that gig of RAM and I am set for a while. If they found a way to make 4G work, awesome, if not I'm ok waiting for the battery issues to be worked out. I could care less about NFC. I'd be ok with a larger screen, but it's not a make or break for me. And that's it.

I think my iPhone 4 still works great and the battery has only taken a slight hit over the past 16 months. Honestly I have one complaint, and that is the home button issue that a lot of people get with heavy use.

19. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I'm with you. I love the design of the 4. I'm perfectly content to stick with the design and get some revved up innards.

20. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

21. rsvrfactory macrumors member

That was back then. There wasn't really any competition for the iPhone then. In the last couple of years the competition has caught up to and may even have surpassed it. IMO, if they don't release a redesigned phone on Tuesday it would be a huge tactical mistake on their part and I believe it would also negatively affect their stock price too. They need to be on the cutting edge of design and software (not necessarily internal hardware) to stay being "Apple." If not then they're just another "Samsung/HTC"

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're wrong.

The geeks lead the way when things are new or are still small markets.

But now the iPhone has passed over into the mainstream. I know 3 non-geek people who are going to buy the next iPhone no matter what it is and not a single one of them asked my opinion before deciding that. They all told me about it after they'd decided what they were going to do.

That didn't happen in 2008. It does now.

23. BainthaBrakk thread starter macrumors newbie

The exact same people bought the new Nokia phone back in 2006.

----------

No, the reason I signed up was to be able to downrank stupid and otiose replies. Such as yours.

/BB

24. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

25. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

whatever they call the next phone it will outsell the iPhone 4.

I think that's all any of these threads really come down to.