Don't You Hate Virgin Media?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rph105, Mar 2, 2008.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

Ahh please tell me someone can relate to my complaining, I am fueled with hate towards Virgin Media, ever since they switched from 'Telewest" and 'NTL' they've been messing everything up;

• Breakdowns due to "problem in area"
    • Broadband Technical Help Premium line 25p (50¢) per minute
    • Traffic Managing (from 4pm-9pm)
    • Crappy Customer Service that goes straight through to India
    • I've never once got the 20MB I pay for

They claim to be the only provider in the UK that has an unlimited data service for their broadband but I'm sorry if u you traffic manage my speed from 20MB to 5MB for downloading 3GB between 4-9pm thats not exactly unlimited.

The same happens with 2MB and 4MB customers, if you have 2MB broadband with virgin media and you download 300MB (like nearly ONE tv show episode) you will be traffic managed to 1MB, yes thats right, HALF YOUR SPEED!

4MB customers, download 800MB and they'll cut you right downnn to 1MB aswell (I'm not joking).

You can read more here: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

2. Geordie macrumors newbie

My Virgin Media connection has been really suffering recently. I presumed it was to do with some sort of limiting but was surprised it was so bad and occurring outside of 'peak time' 6-11PM of my previous house Tiscali connection. This all explains it.

I did some heavily downloading after returning from a week away and it slowed to shocking levels (for about a week) when I left them going all day (usually do during the night only to prevent this kind of thing). I'll have to change my scheduler to pause/severely limit 4-9PM.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

BT<<Virgin Media Sorry.

Use Saynoto0870.com and call one of their free/normal numbers, they WILL be able to put you though even if they lie are ill-informed and tell you otherwise.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Hah!!! You complain!! Try being on Tiscali for a few weeks and you'll realise just how lucky you are :rolleyes:

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

6. bartelby macrumors Core

No ISP provides unlimited web access. They all have Fair Use policies in one form or another. VM are one of the better providers.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Zen, consistently rated and no complaints here, but I'm hardly a heavy user... you get what you pay for. I'd rather eat my toenail clippings than go back to Tiscali.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah but you still need a BT line don't you?

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Be* although how that will be affected with all the O2 customers coming online who can say.

Unlimited, haven't noticed any profile shaping, 18MB connection which I seem to actually get and two outages of less than 30 minutes in 2 years both of which were resolved after less than 2 minutes on the phone. ;)

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well good to know I don't have to install Spyware on my machine to use it.

Surely that is breaking the Data Protection Act anyhow :rolleyes:.

11. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm really happy with Virgin Media, I'm on the 20MB option. At least their (un)fair use policy resets every day and there are no charges. Pretty much all the other suppliers will charge you if you go over your allowance.

12. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

If you want a very good ISP, and I mean very good ISP...

http://www.idnet.net/

You get what you pay for. No throttling, no traffic shaping, and fantastic customer service.

Read the forums - you'll find the occasional punter wanting help, but most of the forum are about customers telling jokes, and having a laugh about life and stuff. No rants, no dissing about the ISP.

Checkout:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=idnet

PS: I am just a customer, and therefore a fan of IDNET, I do not work for them nor am I associated in anyway. I moved from Pipex (Tiscali) - after being with them for the past 3 or 4 years as a loyal customer. They have got *really bad*

Try them for a month or two, only 30 days notice required!

Enjoy!

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Im on the cheapest Virgin account, £20 for 2MB and phone.

Must be said, fairly happy with the service, hoping that Virgin up the 2MB service to maybe 4MB by the end of the year.

14. jmmtn4aj macrumors member

Well, since you asked, no. Because Virgin Media doesn't exist here :p

Branson does seem like a cool dude though..

15. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I'm with SmallWorld, a local cable service. They're fantastic! Unlimited too. They're available in scattered parts of the UK.

http://www.smallworldmedia.com/

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm on the the 4GB service and they are currently in the process of upgrading that to 10MB, so hopefully you will be next :)

17. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

4GB you say?

I'll upgrade to that tomorrow!

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That's one thing that looks really bizarre. Some ISPs in Britain seem to have options like 8Mb, 16Mb, 20Mb where Mb stands for Mega_Bit_ per second, fully knowing that your actual speed is limited by your distance to the nearest BT exchange, and in most cases there is nothing they can do to even get you to 8MBit/second. Someone I know just purchased Sky Broadband, it says "Unlimited data" on the package, and even when I was looking carefully there is no indication that I could find that there is any limitation. There _must_ be some difference in the small print, I just can't find it.

20. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

20MBits would imply a maximum 2.5MBytes. I regularly download at 1.5MBytes, which is acceptable for me. This is cable, rather than ADSL, so the telephone exchange should have no say.

21. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

It has to be optional, so don't opt for it.

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've never used any of the Telewest / Virgin Media software anyway, I'm not even sure any of it works on the Mac?

Even when I was on dial-up on Windows, I used to input all the setting manually. I hate the way ISP software takes over everything on your computer.

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm on Virgin Media for both TV and Broadband and I've got to say I'm delighted with both: I get 20Mb Broadband which consistently gives 20Mb/s (download progress in Safari regularly shows 2.1 - 2.5 MB/s), and On Demand TV that far surpasses anything available on Sky.
    I would highly recommend Virgin Media to anyone who is in a cabled area, although ymmv...