Doom

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by maflynn, May 13, 2016.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Anyone getting the new Doom game now that its out?

I'll be picking up a copy after work today.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I ended up ordering it as it was cheap online €45 compared to €69.99 in Gamestop. Decided if it was a turkey, at €45 if I traded it in a week or two later to gamnestop I wouldn't lose too much value compared to paying €69.99.

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I ordered it online from Target with local pickup so hopefully it will be ready for me at my local Target.

4. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'll get it at some point when it's cheap on sale, probably next year. I hope it's good, I just don't really get excited about straight up shooters like that anymore.

Shouldnwe be worried that we haven't seen any reviews yet?

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been playing (and replaying) wolfenstein, so I'm eager for another good FPS game.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I ordered it from Amazon on pre-order and it duly turned up today. Only played it for 1/2 hour or so but first impressions are very good - super violent and very little story line makes for a great FPS :)

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

God, between over the past few weeks getting Starfox Zero, Battleborn, and Rachet & Clank, decided to hold off until on sale for $30 (which will probably be during Black Friday in November...).

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mine arrived early a couple of days ago but I haven't had much time to put into it.

But! I love it. I think there are some minor flaws though;

- The music is forgettable. A series known for its music and its relegated to noise. Booo :(
    - Wolfenstein came along a couple of years ago and said "HI I can be retro but also have a really gripping story". With one set of hands I applaud how you're rapidly thrown into the game, but with another set of hands I'm not applauding because I do want a slight bit of creeping horror. Doom 3 handled that aspect perfect, IMO.

But the good stuff. The combat gameplay is perfect. I haven't had this much fun in an FPS in years. It's so playable, you're constantly just on the edge of dying and being fed ways to survive. I'm excited to see where we go in this game.

I also thought MachineGames were handling this... no idea where that came from either! Considering how well they handled Wolfenstein I thought they would have been the obvious choice for a new Doom.

10. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I don't fully agree since I think they got it basically right. Only thing that slightly annoys me are the glory kills that are actually too useful to not use them at time. But they're not that distracting as I thought and one can switch of the glowing effect on the enemies so all is good.

For the music, not sure where you are but I love the minimal electronic stuff they use early on and there are some nice metal and also other styles woven in later so I'm good. It's deffinitely more on the ambient side but noise? A bit harsh. Doom I and II were perfect with the metal stuff - no way they could have improved on that imo so it's ok with me to do it a bit different.

I also love the combat - even (way) better than Wolfenstein. I play on Hurt Me plenty and that is a tad too easy but I think Ultra Violence and above is creepy enough. Good thing they don't use the cheap jump scares of Doom3 (spawning enemies in your back and so).

Don't think the campaign will take too long to complete but having a blast. Definitely will play on harder after that and try to figure out the rest of the secrets.

Haven't touched the MP yet. Fingers crossed there are enough folks on PC to do good snapmap stuff (quite sure there will). I read that those will be the preferable MP matches anyway (no bs, no loadouts, real and straight DM, etc pp.).

Glad you love it. I do too!

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Overall the storyline seems to be about the same as prior Dooms - no surprise there. The hidden features reminded me of Fallout with the bobbleheads, as do the weapons upgrades.

Overall, the play is smooth, the action is great. I'm very impressed and I'm enjoying the game very much.

As for the music, I'm not sure why there's some criticism for that. I've played all of the doom games, and I think all of the music is "forgettable" I've never bought Doom for the music, and while I'm not worked up about the music, I found it to be adequate and helped set the mood of the game.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Weirdly enough, I always preferred The PSX/N64 versions lowkey ambient soundtracks to the tinny sounding Midi-Metal PC version.

I've got about 10 minutes left on my download. Once I get a couple hours in, I'll do a write up of my initial experiences.

13. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Wow. That's an odd comment for me. Doom I and II are right up at the top spots for how to do a perfct soundtrack. It's one of their timeless landmarks along the run n gun and enemy design. I think I prefer Doom I slightly more. Except for the fact that the whole genre was uncharted territory, I think the music was what really made it "creepy" + the midi sounds of the enemies. That plus the color pallete and textures used.

I thought Doom3 exceptionally creepy with the ambient sounds and noises. That stood out imo - but that was almost an entire different genre imo - so no genuine Doom game. Although I dig it and embrace what they were trying for.

I also greatly appreciate that there are de facto no cut-scenes - the latest Wolfenstein + addition, while being a great game, had more interferences like that. With Doom - you play 3 hours and it's definitely 3 hours non-stop adrenaline rush (ok, throw in 25mins for searching secrets and stuff). Here you can read the story in 3-4 sentences during the loading screen. Love that. :D

14. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess its just me, but the music wasn't really a major factor in playing the doom games. I'm not saying they were bad, or I didn't appreciate the atmosphere it created but its not why bought the game and like I said, it wasn't something I noticed.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I grabbed a copy Sunday as Gamestop was giving 50% extra on trade-ins towards it so I essentially got my money back on a couple of games I got used a while ago.

It's great - I'm liking it, both single player and some of the maps you can play.

I'm not experiencing the long load times people are reporting on my XBox One. I think because since I have a slow DSL line, I get a new game and use it in off-line mode so I can play right away rather then wait forever for an update.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You know what? I LOVE IT!

Watch me beat stuff up hardcore.

17. gkarris, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016

gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I saw a mouse pointer - PC version?

Is that TRON looking Gauss Cannon is to die for... :eek: :)

I may do my own Doom marathon over the weekend play Doom starting with the PS1 version... :)

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yup. No one in the PC & Mac section is talking about the game, so I've butted into the conversation here. :p

I love the Gauss Cannon, save for the fact that it eats through ammo like it's popping M&Ms. If you need something with precision and punch, it's your go-to gun.

Excellent! The PS1 rev was the first version I actually got to play through properly, since having a PC to call my own was still a couple years ahead in the future. It is, to me, the definitive Doom experience. It has the resolution and framerate of the PC version, all of the content, and the soundtrack makes it so much more eerie and atmospheric. I even managed to set up a multiplayer game by getting a friend to drag his PS1 and TV over so we could link the consoles together. It was great!

That video though, it doesn't show off Doom at its best. It makes the series look kinda pedestrian. Plus, I know the N64 version (which is probably my favorite all around Doom) runs smoother than that. It's great for nostalgia, but not for showing off to people who didn't get to ride the Doom train back when it was still new and huge.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I picked up Doom 64 the day before this new one arrived, purely on nostalgia! Loved it years ago but I must have sold my original one years ago. Planning on going through Doom 1 and 2 on XBLA (still the best versions of them IMO). I really enjoyed Doom 3 but I'm going to wait until I get an Oculus Rift and play a VR version, I think the pacing, slower gameplay, and atmosphere will work well in VR.

Still really enjoying this new Doom. I was worried the gameplay might get stale but nope!

20. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

lol - I'd probably die when playing Doom3 in VR. :D

Are you guys that fast as well? I hear people complaining / stating that it takes them only 8-9h with the campaign. I'm playing on Hurt Me Plenty, so normal mode and try to figure out the maps quite thoroughly (although I usually find only 50% of the secrets) and still haven't finished it with 10h or so on the clock. I'm not that bad either.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You're in about the same place I am. I've got about 11 or so hours in, also playing on Hurt Me Plenty, and I still haven't beat it yet.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh gosh no, I'm taking my time soaking up the atmosphere. I don't know how far in I am but I suspect not very. 9-10 hours is perfect length for me, I'd rather not have another 100 hour epic to play through. And besides 10 hours is a long time too! Lord of the Rings is like 11 hours long after all! But it does seem very replayable too, like all previous Doom games.

If anything I've been taking my time hoping not to reach the end too fast, heh.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Kind of an interesting bit of nerd trivia I came across: the graphical evolution of Doom

24. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Cool video,
    There was a huge jump in graphics between doom II and doom III