Doomed to never updating iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toblerboy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. toblerboy macrumors member

Hi
    I am one of those rare people who still has the 3G.

Am I right to believe that if I ever update my phone it will become intolerably slow?

Am I doomed to the phone becoming less and less useable as apps require the updates?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not sure what version of iOS you're running but the concensus is that upgrading to iOS4 would cause some significant performance issues. Not sure if your phone can run iOS5 either.

I'd wait it out until you feel the need the upgrade to a newer phone.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

iOS 4 causes some major slowdowns on the iPhone 3G. Later updates, including the latest software version it can run, helped alleviate these to some degree, but it is still nowhere near as fast as iPhone OS 3, nor does it get the vast majority of the new end-user features in iOS 4. I would stick with iPhone OS 3. Yes, as applications come out that require later software versions, you will not be able to run them. But you can still run all of your existing applications, and there are plenty in the App Store that will still run on iPhone OS 3.

If your iPhone 3G is still working fine for you and fulfilling your needs, by all means stick with it. A device is only obsolete once it stops fulfilling your needs fully.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am not so sure that Apple will offer updates for the 3G that much longer if at all

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

your answer is http://www.whited00r.com/

I used it for iOS 4 on my 3G and it ran great. When I upgraded to Apples version of iOS4 the phone was near useless. Put whited00r's iOS4 on the phone and it was fast.

Looks like whited00r has iOS5 out now. They do remove a few features, and replace them with their own version. Like the screen rotation lock, they stripped out the stock version and put in their own. They also added their own program for recording video, and some other things in iOS4.

6. Hawkeye16, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

I would think that your phone will become obsolete though as programs get better and require more resources.

7. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

The highest firmware 3g supports is 4.2.1
    I could not update any higher than that using itunes.

8. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

your brother doesn't have that software installed

9. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

Guess that is what I get for asking someone who doesn't know anything about technology what he is running without telling him how to look it up. I stand corrected, he is running 4.3.5 on his 3G.

10. BiggAW macrumors 68020

The 3G got obsoleted fairly quickly because it's basically the same as the original iPhone, but with a UMTS radio. At this point, it's pretty clear that you need to be on the 3GS or newer, as the software is still fully supported back to the 3GS, and they are even still selling them.

You have an upgrade, so wander on over to your local AT&T store, and pick up a 4S.

There are so many reasons to upgrade, but just on apps alone, I was already hitting apps that didn't work on 3.1.3 on my iPod Touch 3rd probably a year ago (didn't want to lose Spirit JB at the time).

11. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Not to be 'that guy', but the 3G only runs up to 4.2.1.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Unless you're using whited00r. :rolleyes:

13. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

you said iOS 5 on an iPhone 3G before saying 4.3.5... you clearly have no clue what you are talking about

14. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

whited00r is basically skinned iOS 3 with a few mods applied to it. If you're on the 3G, try whited00r, it'll be snappy, but do bear in mind it's not real iOS 5 by a long shot.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Again, not sure why the OP's post got voted down. Seems like all legitimate questions, to all of which the proper answer is "yes".

16. toblerboy thread starter macrumors member

this is all a bit of a bummer! I was kind of hoping to keep on to my little baby 3G for years!!!

It's weird how technology never suffices forever - somehow we always have to 'upbuy'! This must be very clever development.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless there is specific functionality in an app or the OS that you need or want. The 3G is a perfectly acceptable phone. Heck I saw someone using a first generation iPhone the other day.

18. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Wow, people need to be upgraded. I could understand not bothering to upgrade if you're on a 3GS, but anything older... sheesh.

19. elfy macrumors 6502

Not everyone feels the need to have the latest technology and, if an older phone still works and does what someone needs it to, then it's really no one else's business what they do. They certainly don't "need" to do anything.

20. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

DO NOT upgrade.
    3.1 is fine as it is. I'm on a 3G 4.2, and the other day i borrowed my sister's 3G (3.1) and thought she had gotten the 3GS. It felt FAST, by comparison! :rolleyes:

I seldom use my 3G for anything else than the basic calling, since it's so slow. Opening apps takes from 5 to 30 seconds.

Still, I'll keep it until it breaks. It's a matter of principles (although I can't wait for it to happen!)

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

But it sounds like the OP does since he is talking about being doomed not to update. Sounds to me he has an answer. Stay with 3.x (not the answer he was looking for) or upgrade. I wouldn't call that being doomed though. It's an old phone by technology standards. If he wants more it's time to pay up.

22. elfy macrumors 6502

The OP perhaps does yeah but the post I was replying to was talking in more general terms.

23. toblerboy thread starter macrumors member

It's not that 'I want more' necessarily - It's just that when you buy a phone that is capable of having apps, then you assume that you will be able to download apps forever (or at least for a long time)
    What is happening is that whenever I come across an app that I like the sound of, it says that I need the update. Then people say the update will basically wreck my phone.

So what is happening in essence is that my phone is becoming incrementally redundant at an alarming speed!

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Unfortunately, with phones, and lots of other tech, three years is 'forever'. I am personally shocked the 3GS has been supported as long as it has. I think it's nearing its end as well. It is as pig slow on 5.x as the 3G was on 4.x. I certainly wouldn't invest in anything less than a 4 right now.

25. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I mean, I'm sure Apple would never require updates on the older iPhones that would render them unusable. But if your usage habits require that you update apps and you can't without the new OS, then there's nothing you can do about it but just upgrade. It's the nature of things. You can't expect to wear the same shoes everyday for decades, do you?