Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I don't see any issues, but would wait until Public Beta 2 drops. I feel like the latest beta (Dev Beta 3) runs better than iOS 9 ever did.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I am using it as a daily, nothing too significant thus far to make me remove it, but there are bugs that are annoying.

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
Once the betas hit public they are usually pretty good. The biggest issue you might have is some app you use not working.

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Thanks for the comments! Whats the difficulty level with reverting back if I am unhappy with the public Beta? Back when I used to install non-dev approved versions I would lose all the data I had built up while running the Beta because when I reverted back I had to restore from an old backup that was made right before installing the Beta.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the comments! Whats the difficulty level with reverting back if I am unhappy with the public Beta? Back when I used to install non-dev approved versions I would lose all the data I had built up while running the Beta because when I reverted back I had to restore from an old backup that was made right before installing the Beta.
Would classify as moderate difficulty. To avoid significant data loss, make a backup of your phone pre-beta and archive the backup (so it doesn't get overwritten by any iOS 10 backups). Then, at least you will have data up to when you install.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
I've run betas all the way back to iOS 7. I'm just on public betas now; I won't bother with the dev betas since I'm not actively developing.

I've got it on my one and only iPhone. My iPad is now too old to run 10, so this is the only way I can do it if I want it. It's more than stable enough for me, but my phone isn't for work. Keep a nightly backup, get used to battery life being inconsistent and possibly having weird data spikes now and then, but otherwise, it's fine.

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015
On PB1, it was functional but had issues. I was still able to use my phone for work without any major issues.

On PB2, it's much better. It's my DD and I regret nothing.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
So I have been debating whether to use iOS 10 Public Beta on my daily. I have done non-approved Dev betas in the past and some were great and some caused a bunch of issues. Is the Public Beta stable enough to run on a daily iPhone 6? I don't mind minor glitches occasional crashes is ok but major usability would drive me crazy.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Also if you downgrade back do you lose all your data on your phone? I remember when I would do that before all saved data while using the beta was lost because you had to revert back using an older back up before moving to the Beta.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-10-beta-2-as-a-daily-driver.1981591/

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Just installed PB2 on my iPhone 6S. No major issues except the initial spike in battery consumption (which should diminish as I've read) and the constant scroll to the bottom of the page when hitting backspace while typing this post...

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I have dev beta 3 on my one and only phone and have had no problems. There are occasional random lags but nothing major, I love iOS 10!

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Installed second version of public beta today and so sar so good no lag getting in and out of the apps or navigating around, where was this smoothness and fluidity when 6 initially came out running iOS 9? They did say iOS 10 was about refinement!

This is unbelievable! Normally Apple would make it so that newer versions of iOS would actually slow things down on older devices but my now two year old phone feels fresh and fairly quick handling iOS 10!

Winning!

You know that lag or occasional choppy animations we're supposed to have especially when your phone is two years old?? Haven't noticed ANY of that!

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
hey guys, so public beta 1 was expected to be buggy as heck but is public beta 2 any better? is it a good use for a daily or do you not recommend it and suggest i wait for public beta 3 perhaps? its a beta afterall but if its runs well then thats all that matters

kmod75

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
Houston
hey guys, so public beta 1 was expected to be buggy as heck but is public beta 2 any better? is it a good use for a daily or do you not recommend it and suggest i wait for public beta 3 perhaps? its a beta afterall but if its runs well then thats all that matters
[doublepost=1469109062][/doublepost]I just downloaded it yesterday and am using it as my daily driver. So far, there's nothing serious I've noticed in the build. For me personally, iMessages has an occasional crash and the Bluetooth launcher from Swipe Up on the Homescreen can be slow to respond, but other than that am very satisfied. Nothing that impairs me from all-day use.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
[doublepost=1469109062][/doublepost]I just downloaded it yesterday and am using it as my daily driver. So far, there's nothing serious I've noticed in the build. For me personally, iMessages has an occasional crash and the Bluetooth launcher from Swipe Up on the Homescreen can be slow to respond, but other than that am very satisfied. Nothing that impairs me from all-day use.

and would you say the update is worth it with fresh features to try and enjoy? or its more or less like ios 9? im trying to see if its justifiable to sacrifice a reliable 9.3 iphone 6s with a ios 10 public beta

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
and would you say the update is worth it with fresh features to try and enjoy? or its more or less like ios 9? im trying to see if its justifiable to sacrifice a reliable 9.3 iphone 6s with a ios 10 public beta

Remember that all the texting features are to iOS 10 only, so if you're hoping to try that you need to know someone else on the Beta. It's a nice upgrade in many ways, but if you're concerned about stability, I would stay put.

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
There are still a few apps that I know of that are not yet compatible. Make sure that your important apps are supported before you take the plunge. An incompatible app that is a deal breaker for my daughters is Kingdom Hearts. For me, I am missing the BofA app. Most apps work fine and the update is well worth doing. Public Beta 2 is definitely better than 1 (battery is better and more stable overall).

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Anyone have the iPad Air on beta 2? I tried beta 1... It was OK but the App Store didn't work and animations were a little laggy.

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
All of the annoyances I had from Beta 1 are gone, but I have noticed occasional hangs where the phone becomes non-responsive for about 5-10 seconds. This has happened twice since yesterday afternoon and mostly seems to happen while in Chrome. Not horrible, but just something I've noticed.

Reactions: darkkknighttt930
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.