Double charging by ATT for iPad 3G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipadhappy, Jun 14, 2010.

1. ipadhappy macrumors newbie

On June 3 I initiated 3G service from the iPad for the 250MB plan for $14,99, which was immediately charged to my cc.

On June 4 I wanted to upgrade to the unlimited plan for $29.99. Surprisingly that was also charged to my cc.

Both charges have been paid to ATT.

ATT says tough, there's nothing they can do about it. Meanwhile I am using about 50MB/mo and want to go back to the original 250MB plan.

ATT says if I do so I will be charged another $14.99 or almost $60.

Has anyone else experience this?

2. bat95132 macrumors member

Despite the wording you are not upgrading your plan. You are selecting a new prepaid plan.

Dates are estimates but you will get the idea:

June 3 Signed up for 250MB data plan good from June 3 - July 2nd
    June 4 Signed up for Unlimited plan good from July 2nd Thru Aug 1st.

You unlimited plan takes effect after the first plan is used either by using the 250MB or the one month ending. They do not offer upgrading from one plan to another.

Technically if you setup the 250MB plan and cancel it the next day technically canceling auto pay and then resign up the next day essentially re-enrolling in auto pay you just paid for 2 months. If you do this 12 times in one month (being stupid) you just prepaid for 12 months of service. LOL

GLITCH GLITCH GLITCH lol They should not do it this way but they did.

I hope this makes sense even though is sucks!!!

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's pretty much how it worked pre-June 6. There was no "upgrade for and extra $15" option.

4. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Not to defend AT&T -- and indeed, every day I'm happier I didn't buy a 3G -- but I think it was understood it would work this way even before their massive bait and switch maneuver.

5. owzer macrumors newbie

Just wanted to bring this thread to life for the benefit of new iPad owners with AT&T. The 250Mb and 2Gb plans are strictly non upgradable (ie. you can't select the 250Mb plan then decide to switch to the 2Gb plan midway). You can change between plans either after the allocated data is all used up or after 30 days (whichever comes first).

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

It seems to me the logical thing to do would be to realize that for $10 more, or 65%, you receive 8 times the data. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

7. GeekPill macrumors member

This is horrible, surely BBB could step in as if the wording is misleading you could request the money back.

Lucky here in the UK we can buy bandwidth from Three and that lasts for x amount of time depending on the GBs you buy so 1GB lasts for a month (even if you use it all or not) up to 24GB which is 20% more $$ then buying two 12GBs ofc thats for the Simcard and not the microsim card but you can cut the sim down as all of us knows.