Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
I have a piece of coursework for wednesday and it needs to be double spced (2 spaces between each word, instead of 1). As usual it has been left to the weekend before. Anyway, I have writen over 3,500 words and going through and adding an extra space between each word will be just awful, so is there a way of doing this in Appleworks automatically?
Cheers,jon

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
john_satc said:
I have a piece of coursework for wednesday and it needs to be double spced (2 spaces between each word, instead of 1). As usual it has been left to the weekend before. Anyway, I have writen over 3,500 words and going through and adding an extra space between each word will be just awful, so is there a way of doing this in Appleworks automatically?
Cheers,jon

You could use the find option Edit>Find/Change>Find/Change or apple + f on the keyboard. In the Find/Change window input a single space for the Find option and then input a double space in the Change option.

Okay so now you must tell me as to why you must do this... as a typographer I find an upsetting felling in my stomach just thinking about a document set with double the normal spacing between words.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
john_satc said:
I have a piece of coursework for wednesday and it needs to be double spced (2 spaces between each word, instead of 1).

Inasmuch as that is in stark contrast to the established rules of writing as I know them, I am curious to find out if such a directive came from a quirky instructor who just marches to a different drumbeat? Did anybody question this when it was made clear how the spacing was to be done?

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
I will try out what you mentioned when I have completed it in next couple of hours. I have no idea why it must be double spaced, but the instructions clearly state 'Each essay must be typed on A4, be double - spaced, and pages numbered' - we asked the teacher what double spaced meant and he just said put 2 spaces instead of one. If I get bored I might find out if this is stated in teh syllabus or just what the teacher wants, I have never done it before and have done a lot of courseworks in my time.

Just want to say, the page numbering system is just awful in Appleworks, you have to click where you want the number and then edit - page number etc. And have to do this for every page! Ok I have only had to do this on 5 pages. However I did a 100 page geography coursework and 300 page IT coursework which I would have been very pissed off at numbering each page myself. Thankfully MS word got it right.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
john_satc said:
I will try out what you mentioned when I have completed it in next couple of hours. I have no idea why it must be double spaced, but the instructions clearly state 'Each essay must be typed on A4, be double - spaced, and pages numbered' - we asked the teacher what double spaced meant and he just said put 2 spaces instead of one. If I get bored I might find out if this is stated in teh syllabus or just what the teacher wants, I have never done it before and have done a lot of courseworks in my time.

Just want to say, the page numbering system is just awful in Appleworks, you have to click where you want the number and then edit - page number etc. And have to do this for every page! Ok I have only had to do this on 5 pages. However I did a 100 page geography coursework and 300 page IT coursework which I would have been very pissed off at numbering each page myself. Thankfully MS word got it right.

Double spaced typically implies double the spacing between the lines of text not between the words. Are you sure you understood the directions correctly? I only ask because I have never heard of double spacing between words, it will make the paper more difficult to read vs between the lines of text (leading) which allow line isolation.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
zim said:
Double spaced typically implies double the spacing between the lines of text not between the words. Are you sure you understood the directions correctly? I only ask because I have never heard of double spacing between words, it will make the paper more difficult to read vs between the lines of text (leading) which allow line isolation.

That actually sounds much better idea, and could have been what was supposed to happen, but I distinctly remember the guy saying 2 spaces between each word. I will check though before I go doing that. Spacing between lines is common in c/w i know that.
Cheers, you may have just saved me a lot of hasle

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
john_satc said:
That actually sounds much better idea, and could have been what was supposed to happen, but I distinctly remember the guy saying 2 spaces between each word. I will check though before I go doing that. Spacing between lines is common in c/w i know that.
Cheers, you may have just saved me a lot of hasle

:)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
zim said:
You could use the find option Edit>Find/Change>Find/Change or apple + f on the keyboard. In the Find/Change window input a single space for the Find option and then input a double space in the Change option.
While I certainly agree that what was meant was to double the line spacing, I recommend the following:
  1. Save your original paper with normal word and line spacing.
  2. Double-space the lines, and save that.
  3. In a copy of the original, do as mentioned by zim and double-space the words (but: use the method above to first replace all double spaces with single spaces, because otherwise you'll have four or more spaces where you accidentally typed two originally).
  4. In a copy of the double-spaced-word paper, double space the lines.
You'll now have all four permutations of his instructions (well, three permutations plus an original copy). Bring in the last three, and ask him which he wants.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
john_satc said:
I have a piece of coursework for wednesday and it needs to be double spced (2 spaces between each word, instead of 1). Cheers,jon

I would bet that "2 spaces between each word" is not meant with "double spaced", but one empty line between any two lines of text. Gives plenty of space for someone who marks to add some comments between the lines.

Format Menu, "Paragraph" item, change "Line Spacing".

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
john_satc said:
Just want to say, the page numbering system is just awful in Appleworks, you have to click where you want the number and then edit - page number etc. And have to do this for every page!

You're doing something wrong there. When you insert a page number, Appleworks will number the pages sequentially as you would expect. You can change the first number for a section in the "section format", if the first few pages are numbered i, ii, iii, iv and then you want to start again with 1, 2, 3.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
gnasher729 said:
You're doing something wrong there. When you insert a page number, Appleworks will number the pages sequentially as you would expect. You can change the first number for a section in the "section format", if the first few pages are numbered i, ii, iii, iv and then you want to start again with 1, 2, 3.

Ok yes have worked out how to do it, though not as easy as MS word.

Cheers for all your help, I followed jsw's words and so will definatley have whichever version the teacher wants. Thanks loads!

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Insert Header

john_satc said:
Ok yes have worked out how to do it, though not as easy as MS word.

Cheers for all your help, I followed jsw's words and so will definatley have whichever version the teacher wants. Thanks loads!

I just want to make sure - when you say you got this - did you "Insert Header" or "Insert Footer" and then put the page number in there, or are you just inserting the page number into each page? CW/AW has the (what I consider NICE) feature of not assuming that you want a header or a footer until you ask for it. Once you put one in, it acts the same as in Word.

As much as I am growing to love Pages, I already miss CW/AW knowing that it won't be coming along for the Intel ride. :(

Anywho - I'm in full agreement that, with double spacing, he meant between the lines. It gives him space to write notes to you between the lines in reference to what you write. There would be no real purpose to double spacing between words.

Good luck!

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
jsalzer said:
I just want to make sure - when you say you got this - did you "Insert Header" or "Insert Footer" and then put the page number in there, or are you just inserting the page number into each page? CW/AW has the (what I consider NICE) feature of not assuming that you want a header or a footer until you ask for it. Once you put one in, it acts the same as in Word.

As much as I am growing to love Pages, I already miss CW/AW knowing that it won't be coming along for the Intel ride. :(

Anywho - I'm in full agreement that, with double spacing, he meant between the lines. It gives him space to write notes to you between the lines in reference to what you write. There would be no real purpose to double spacing between words.

Good luck!

I inserted footer. In MS word you didn't have to do that, it just added a little number in the bottom right / left etc, no footer / header.

And I checked with some mates and he said 2 spaces between each word. No idea why. And the 2 lines thing isn't necessary either because as it is coursework the teacher cannot write comments on the paper. Only the markers for the board do that, and we don't get the c/w back to view the comments anyway. But I will soon find out what he meant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.