Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

154446-doubletwist_airsync.jpg

As noted by Engadget, doubleTwist has released a new version of its Android app offering support for Apple's AirPlay streaming standard.
As of version 1.4 it will stream music, videos or pictures to the Apple TV or other compatible devices while also claiming beta support for Sonos hardware. The DoubleTwist player is free, but using AirPlay means purchasing the $4.99 AirSync add-on that also enables wireless sync with your media library (iTunes) and streaming to DLNA or uPnP compatible devices.
Details are available in the updated app description for doubleTwist Player for Android:
Recent changes:

- doubleTwist now supports AirPlay for users who have upgraded to AirSync. Stream to Apple TV (music, videos and photos) and DLNA devices (music and videos). Beta support for Sonos.
- When a supported device such as the Apple TV is recognized on the same WiFi network as your Android device, you can start streaming to it from the doubleTwist playback controls if you are an AirSync user.
doubleTwist has a long history with Apple, having been founded by Jon Lech Johansen ("DVD Jon"), who gained fame for reverse engineering both Apple's FairPlay digital rights management component for iTunes Store content and the Content Scramble System used to encrypt DVDs.

In 2008, the company debuted software for Windows and Mac that sought to replace iTunes as the media management hub for computer users, expanding its offerings in late 2009 to include an integrated version of the Amazon MP3 Store. The company has since focused considerable effort on the Android platform, seeking to simplify media management, integrating with the Android Market, and rolling out wireless media syncing via Wi-Fi.

Article Link: DoubleTwist Brings AirPlay Compatibility to Android

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Apple will probably not like this. I am sure they will try to break it every chance they get.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Next news: "DoubleTwist Closedown due to massive lawsuit from Apple"

I hope that doesn't happen though, I would hate my android without it...

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
The DoubleTwist media player is pretty good, especially compared to other Android media players. A bit slow on an older Android phone though.

And it's nice that they've got wireless syncing from iTunes before even Apple has bothered to implement it.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Confused...

I'm confused... What will this technology/app allow me to do that I can not to already? I have a Droid v1 and use an iPAd and iMac at home, as well as an internet connected xBox360 on the TV.

:confused:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
For as much as the Android community complains about Apple and iTunes it would make you think there is little market for this sort of thing. Truth of the matter is that iTunes (for as bad as it can be) is the biggest online media store in the world and AirPlay is one of the "integration" features that Apple has successfully pulled off. Further, "integration" is Android's weak suit. DoubleTwist tries to make up that gap, but if it ever gets big enough I wonder if Apple will try to break it the way they broke the Palm Pre's iTunes sync. Ultimately, this is cool for the Android users who are savvy enough to find the app and set things up, but would require way too much hand-holding for the masses.

Personally, I was a bit annoyed with Apple for not putting an HDMI output on the iPhone or iPad. Now that I have the HDMI adapter for iPad 2 and have used that as well as AirPlay, I now see where they are going. AirPlay is soooo much better than being tethered with a cable. Being able to pause a movie by picking up the iPad from anywhere in the room and tapping the pause button is slick.

What Apple needs to do with AirPlay is follow through by getting more devices (especially TVs) supporting AirPlay out of the box (no Apple TV required). It would be far slicker if I could start an AirPlay video or photo slide show without having to find my TV remote to switch to the Apple TV input. I'd also like to be able to background video streaming the way I background music playback and use the device while it streams something to an AirPlay-capable screen.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
AirPlay is a licensed technology. That would explain the charge for this feature. It's working great, btw!

Note: The illustration in the MacRumors post is for AirSync, not AirPlay. The AirSync just lets you transfer your media to your phone and back over wifi instead of USB. That's been available for a while. Don't know if that's a mistake or not.

Last edited:

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Next news: "DoubleTwist Closedown due to massive lawsuit from Apple"

I hope that doesn't happen though, I would hate my android without it...

Agreed. Although I use an iPhone now, I would go to Android if the timing and phone were right, and DoubleTwist was a godsend when I was using a Blackberry.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

DoubleTwist is a great appLication (both on the phone and computer). I bought the AirSync app as soon as it was released.

This is another nice little feature from the DoubleTwist team alongside AirSync.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
As expected, you have to install 2 things to make a semi-working Airplay system for the Droid. :rolleyes:
And Apple will probably try some tactics that count as anti-trust to prevent it...

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It's not an open standard. :rolleyes:

Only for iTunes and iOS. Not open.

But hey, Apple has to get some advantage for having such a successful music app. They're already forced to make iTunes for Windows, which makes me upset when I try to Google mods for iTunes :(

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
If you want to use Apple's standards like AirPlay.......why not just get iOS devices???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.