Doubts Circulate of a Verizion iPhone in 2010

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite there being a vocal outcry for Apple's iPhone to transition to the Verizon network, a couple of analyst reports this week cast doubts that we would see a Verizon iPhone in the near future. Both reports, however, seem to be based on speculation rather than any particular inside source.

Thomas Weisel analyst Doug Reid kicked off the week saying that there appears to be a growing divide with Verizon/Google/Droid on one side and AT&T/Apple/iPhone on the other. He offers T-Mobile as a possible alternative for Apple to break the iPhone's single carrier exclusivity in 2010. T-Mobile, however, has a much smaller customer base than Verizon with only half as many users. Reid expects that Verizon may opt to offer the rumored Apple Tablet or wait for an iPhone that supports 4G networks which are expected in 2011-2012.

Meanwhile, Kaufman Bros Shaw Wu echoed similar thoughts on Wednesday, noting that both Verizon and Apple have become increasingly competitive and offers T-Mobile or Sprint as possible alternatives.

Again, both reports are speculative, but are perhaps a good reminder that very few credible sources have actually confirmed that the iPhone will be offered by Verizon. The expiration of AT&T's exclusivity (believed to be) in mid-2010 makes the move possible, but the best evidence so far has been the rumor that Apple may be manufacturing a Verizon-capable phone in late 2010.

Article Link: Doubts Circulate of a Verizion iPhone in 2010

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
I love how all the analysts guess as much as macrumors members do about the iPhone.

Comment

soft

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
I really doubt Apple is working with Verizion to sell the iPhone. They have just made Ads directed against Verizion and their lack of Talk/Surf !

Comment

00146CB58122

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
On the grand scale of things I'd hate to see the iPhone supporting CDMA unless they produce a separate version just for CDMA networks. Most of the world uses GSM and I think there'd probably be a tradeoff supporting them both in a device.

Competition is a good thing, I have my UK iPhone on Orange as O2 has poor coverage outside of main urban centres, but adding hardware support just to cover one network would seem pointless. It would make sense if they plan on supporting all US CDMA networks and those in the few other countries that support it but personally I think that should be a separate model.

I believe that CDMA doesn't use SIM cards so it means that having a dual mode phone would be useless anyway as a CDMA customer couldn't roam on a GSM network without a SIM and a GSM customer couldn't roam on a CDMA network unless the handset was registered with that operator.

Comment

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Outcry? All I see is people not understanding that Verizon will have the same exact issues as at&t because of the sheer amount of usage.

Comment

Island Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
St. Cloud, FL.
Outcry? All I see is people not understanding that Verizon will have the same exact issues as at&t because of the sheer amount of usage.
I'm more concerned that there is absolutely zero competition for the iPhone in the U.S. AT&T can pretty much do and charge what they please. Competition is a good thing.

Comment

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Although I couldn't care less, because there is no Verizon in Germany :eek:, i don't think the iPhone will come to Verizon anytime soon... it seems clear to me that Verizon pushes Android and with ads directly attacking the iPhone it would be a huge suprise to see it in between...

Comment

Caralvarez24

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Orlando, Fl
Boo! Get these negative nancys out of here! I would never switch to the Deathstar (poor coverage and lots of dropped calls in my area) but if the iPhone came to VZW I would jump on it!

Comment

jlseattle

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
I'm more concerned that there is absolutely zero competition for the iPhone in the U.S. AT&T can pretty much do and charge what they please. Competition is a good thing.
I agree that a monopoly on a market isn't a good thing. The problem with Verizon is that they like to monopolize features in handsets. I was a subscriber to Verizon for many years. Their typical MO is to take a handset, remove the software, install their own software, and then sell back features the handset came with to their users. It was the most frustrating part of being part of Verizon. I know that Verizon has this as part of their business plan and when Apple wouldn't give them control then they turned away.

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
I believe that CDMA doesn't use SIM cards so it means that having a dual mode phone would be useless anyway as a CDMA customer couldn't roam on a GSM network without a SIM and a GSM customer couldn't roam on a CDMA network unless the handset was registered with that operator.
You're correct that you'd need a carrier account to use the CDMA radio, just as you'd need a SIM based account for the GSM side. Not a big deal. So-called Blackberry, HTC and Samsung "World Phones" with CDMA and GSM radios are popular with CDMA customers who travel a lot.

That's because they couldn't have the same exact issues.

They have big differences in coverage, backhaul, cell planning (critical for CDMA radios, which both use for 3G) and voice-data network separation.

The problem with Verizon is that they like to monopolize features in handsets.
That doesn't apply to their smartphones.

Besides, what are you worried that they'd do? Lock down Bluetooth on the iPhone, or only allow apps from one store? Perhaps leave out some common phone features, only to add them in years later? Too late. Already done by Apple.

Comment

Ammo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
If the iPhone doesn't come to Verizon, then Google gets my mobile business.

Period, and I know many other people who feel that way too.

And why do so many people NOT want to see a CDMA iPhone or a Verizon iPhone? If you're gonna stay with at&t it won't affect you!

Comment

pik.

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Bologna/Corfu/Paris
I believe that Apple will give the iphone to Verizon.
better network great coverage .

if not then google with the Dragon and all the other phones using snapdragon AND android 2.2 will be a better offer...:D

Comment

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
One thing Verizon really hates about the iPhone is the iTunes store. Verizon does not want you to be able to download your own music to the phone; they want you to pay them for the music that you download via vCast. I don't see Verizon being willing to give up control of the music and apps; they want you to pay verizon for extra stuff, not Apple.

Comment

jlseattle

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
I believe that Apple will give the iphone to Verizon.
better network great coverage .

if not then google with the Dragon and all the other phones using snapdragon AND android 2.2 will be a better offer...:D
I have a good question. When I was on Verizon a few years ago the service wasn't predictable. Has this changed? I lived in the Seattle area and always had problems Verizon's network. When I went to AT&T I have had much better service. Not perfect but reliable 99.9 % of the time.

Comment

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
I wish that "competition" when it comes would actually drive prices down. Unfortunately it will not work that way. The service will remain at a minimum of $79.99 a month for the iPhone if VZW and AT&T both have the iPhones. There single or family plan prices are exactly the same now. I doubt that would change at all. They need to keep their profit margins. It doesn't do either company to race to the bottom.

Comment

jlseattle

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
That doesn't apply to their smartphones.

Besides, what are you worried that they'd do? Lock down Bluetooth on the iPhone, or only allow apps from one store? Perhaps leave out some common phone features, only to add them in years later? Too late. Already done by Apple.
Sorry I didn't know. iPhone was my first smart phone. That was just my experience with Verizon on several different handsets. I would read about features online and see the original OS of the phone and then see what I had....

On the feature set of the iPhone. I don't use or need bluetooth. I think that some of these other features like bluetooth & tethering I would never use. I would use the ability to put pictures on my phone (which is one of the features Verizon locked off and then wanted to charge me .30 to transfer). The iPhone does this for free. I just had a very crappy experience with Verizon and I wouldn't go back to their service even if it was free. I would rather pay for something I know is reliable.

Comment

patsfan83

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
Although I couldn't care less, because there is no Verizon in Germany :eek:, i don't think the iPhone will come to Verizon anytime soon... it seems clear to me that Verizon pushes Android and with ads directly attacking the iPhone it would be a huge suprise to see it in between...
Verizon's ads are attacking ATT's service, not the iPhone. They just happen to use the iPhone because that is the demographic they are trying to reach.

Comment

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I agree that a monopoly on a market isn't a good thing. The problem with Verizon is that they like to monopolize features in handsets. I was a subscriber to Verizon for many years. Their typical MO is to take a handset, remove the software, install their own software, and then sell back features the handset came with to their users. It was the most frustrating part of being part of Verizon. I know that Verizon has this as part of their business plan and when Apple wouldn't give them control then they turned away.
Verizon's appraoach is why I have little hope that we will ever see the iPhone on their network. What I can see in 2010 is that Apple does a CDMA phone on the Sprint network. Since the last time I was on Sprint, they allowed for free roaming that allowed me to use the Verizon network here in DC. It may help save Sprint in the end.
Verizon's ads are attacking ATT's service, not the iPhone. They just happen to use the iPhone because that is the demographic they are trying to reach.
Verizon is "attacking coverage" only because the user interface on the iPhone is so much better IMO.

Comment

nostradukemas

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
If Sprint becomes the carrier, it essentially will come to Verizon. Unlocking isn't that hard, and Verizon started allowing any unlocked CDMA phone on their network a few years ago.

Comment

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
iPhone + Verizon

Rumors, gossip, speculation, who care's over all.

Apple knows there sales will sky rocket by bringing the iPhone to the Verizon network, BUT the people that jump VZW to AT&T will jump because of a more stable network.

There 4G is starting next year at least in this area, that is what I have heard from the Corporate guys, same story for the last 5 months , is that its coming next year.

For me I'm waiting till June or July for the NEXT version of the iPhone and if VZW is offering it I'll deal with it then , if not well I have dealt with dropped calls and all the other AT&T BS for so long I'm kinda numb to it.

Merry Christmas to all:D

Yea I know I'm a little early :)

Comment

beowuff

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
I have a good question. When I was on Verizon a few years ago the service wasn't predictable. Has this changed? I lived in the Seattle area and always had problems Verizon's network. When I went to AT&T I have had much better service. Not perfect but reliable 99.9 % of the time.
I'm in the same area with the same experience. I'd never go back to Verizon for any reason.

Also, TMobile is much more likely, as isn't that where most of the jail broken phones go anyway? I don't think there'd need to be any hardware change on
Apples' part, just some software changes for TMobile. Seems like a no brainer if they want to expand.

Comment

Pablo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
Texas
Eh, not saying it won't have any kind of overloaded circuit issues that are common with AT&T, but Verizon does have a better network as a whole. And the issues keeping me from considering an iPhone are more to do with the technology than the actual carrier. Verizon/CDMA is actually able to penetrate my house, whereas with AT&T/GSM frequencies I have to pretty much go outside to get a clear call. I was actually on AT&T a few years ago, but had to switch to Verizon after completing construction. Brick & radiant barriers aren't GSM friendly.

Now, if AT&T ever gets their Fem 2 Cell device out, I may look at going back. Until then, it's Verizon if I want to be able to make/receive calls inside my house.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.