Doubts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelpri, Dec 3, 2013.

1. michaelpri macrumors member

I just picked up my first smartphone. I got an apple 5s and my wife got a samsung s4. I was really looking forward to the apple however I am starting to like the samsung due to the size of the screen and the ease of looking at e-mails.
    Am I making judgement too soon? It's been 4 hours only.

thanks

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, you are making a judgement too soon. Try it for a week and see what both will do for you. The S4 may have a bigger screen, but what if you don't care for the way it handles email? You won't know without working with both phones for a while.

3. JayLenochiniMac, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There are four groups of people:

1) Those who've never tried the iPhone and don't know any better on what they're missing out
    2) iPhone users who are currently trying out other phones but continue to visit this forum (hello there) because there's something about them that's somehow missing
    3) iPhone users who tried other phones and came crawling back
    4) iPhone users who haven't touched other phones

4. cynics macrumors G3

Buyers regret. Remember the grass isn't always greener though. Give it some time so you can make a less superficial decision.

For example. The screen on the S4 is great but it doesn't do iMessage and AirPlay nor work with my other Apple products as easily. Those are things that in the end are more important to ME. If my iPhone was my only Apple product and my friends and family didn't use Apple products I'd probably have no use for it and just get a Galaxy phone or something.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

:rolleyes:

I use both iOS and Android and there are many things that Android does just as well if not better than iOS. On the flip side, there are many things that iOS does just as well if not better than Android.

It all comes down to personal preference and Android works better than iOS for a very large group of people.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Nah...20-30 seconds of experience with a brand new, complex, electronic device is more than enough time to make informed judgements.

Dump it...I say!:(

OK...so much for silliness. Give it a bit more time before making judgements. If you still find, after a week or so, that you are dissatisfied, it can always be returned.:D

;)

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not sure about that because I know a few Android users who are either cheap or can't afford the iPhone. It doesn't mean it works better for them.

8. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

Give it another 4 hrs and you'll realize that the iPhone 5s is the better phone. :D

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The "few Android users who are either cheap or can't afford the iPhone" aren't exactly a very good sample of the actual market.

I'm not going to sit and debate actual sales numbers because we're not going to get anywhere. But what I will say is that there are some very capable Android phones out there, and there are a lot of users who CHOOSE them over the iPhone, not based on cost.

I absolutely despise the Samsung Touchwiz UI, so I won't buy any of their phones, but they're obviously doing something right. Have you tried the HTC One, Moto X or any of the newer Nexus devices?

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

4 hours seems a bit short to me to make a final judgement but you'll have to make that call for yourself. you should know what your priorities are better than anyone else.

...and "a few people you know who are cheap" don't represent all Android users. No single device or OS suits everyone best. Even if budget is a limiting factor it's a valid concern for those it affects.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Costs remain a major barrier to iPhone adoption and are exactly why cheaper Androids reap the majority of market share. It's a "few" for me as the people I associate with don't exactly represent the general public. Fine if you don't want to debate sales number so we'll leave it at that.

12. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

everyone has their own needs. personally i like a phone that i can hold with only one hand and that fits in my pockets.

13. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Ditto. If Android was tighter and had better cameras, and it is getting tighter with better cameras with every release, I would seriously entertain a jump. I have the 5S and N5 but the iPhone is my go to for sure. For now.

14. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

Give it at least 24 hours minimum. 4 hours isn't even long enough to discover all of the features that iOS has to offer.

15. cynics macrumors G3

I'm an all Apple guy but I need to carry an Android (or windows) tablet for work since it can email more complicated attachments (multiple zip files, blueprints and schematics in various file formats, etc). I'd need a MacBook with cell service (or tethered to my iPhone) to get the same capabilities.

So while it might be a cheaper not work as good option for some. It CAN be a better option for others.

16. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

By all means visit an internet rumors forum and ask strangers what you should do and/or think. Perfect.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not disputing that Androids work better for some people like yourself, only the previous poster's assertion that "Androids work better for a very large group of people." It's the wrong cause and effect. It's simply due to Androids being cheaper and brand new/flagship models being free on contract that they're able to reap the majority of the market share.

18. undesign macrumors regular

I could go out and buy several iPhones right now if I wanted to. I could get an iPhone for FREE and I still wouldn't want one. The inability to have complete control over my files, media, apps, etc. without having to jailbreak *MY* phone is the number one reason why I won't ever switch.

I'd suggest you think before you speak as some of your comments in this thread have been SWEEPING generalizations and an insult to others.

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple offers a free on contract phone as well.

20. cynics macrumors G3

Gotcha. The way your quoted post sound or how I perceived it was that you didn't think it was or could be better.

I'm not particularly fond of Android but it has it's uses. If it wasn't for the email thing I'd have no need for it. But that's my opinion and based off what I need and want a mobile OS to do.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And you're visiting this iPhone subforum why? Exactly my #2 point in the third post.

22. undesign macrumors regular

Your #2 point is flawed:

iPhone users who are currently trying out other phones but continue to visit this forum (hello there) because there's something about them that's somehow missing

I'm in this forum because I randomly clicked on 'Doubts' and I have a general interest in technology (shocking, I know!). Also, there is nothing missing in my phone. I have an HTC One S. It does everything I need it to. The iPhone does not. However I already mentioned this in my previous post which you clearly dismissed.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

For you, yes, so my point #2 isn't 100% accurate; however, if you check the post history of many Android users you'll see that their conscience is hard at work.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

4 hours is definitely too soon. Use it for a couple days, and also get feedback from your wife on how she likes her phone. There may be issues with the Samsung that are worse than a small iPhone screen. Personally, I can't stare at an OLED screen for too long without feeling about as green as the hues that Samsung displays produce.

Whatever you decide though, I would suggest that the both of you settle on a single platform. You can both take more advantage of a platform's features if you're both using the same one. If your wife also had an iPhone for example, you could take advantage of FaceTime and FaceTime Audio, which provides much better sound quality than a standard phone call, and can use WiFi if you're connected. Similarly, iMessage is a nice thing to have, but you can't do it with non iOS/Mac users. Same goes for Airdrop.

On the other side: NFC transfers between phones is a neat gimmick that some Android users like.

25. phositadc macrumors 6502

I LOLed!